“Lovely inn”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Brookline, Massachusetts
“Lovely inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Great location - 10 min walk to the town/waterfront. Kind staff with good suggestions on things to do in the area (even on a rainy day). Very nice room. The breakfast was amazing! We plan to go back again next summer.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Bette Davis" room, (apparently named because she stayed there at one tim...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

It's hard to sum up all of the great things about our stay at the Inns at Blackberry Common in one review, but I'll give it my best shot. My husband and I were just married at the Inns this past weekend, in the gorgeous gardens out back. Cyndi and Jim went above and beyond to make sure not only our big day, but our entire weekend went wonderfully. Not to mention, both of the Inns were completely full for the weekend, but we never would've known it since Jim & Cyndi were so attentive. Our families all flew in from the midwest, never having been to Maine, and I know that each and everyone of them had a wonderful time and really enjoyed their stay. I can't go too far without mentioning the amazing food we ate while at the Inn. The breakfasts were absolutely delicious and our wedding dinner was fabulous! Jim is truly an incredible chef! The Inn is only a few blocks from downtown (easily walkable), where there are plenty of great restaurants and shops to check out. In the end, we had a wonderful stay and look forward to returning in the near future!

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Treetops" room and felt it was worth every penny! The room was absolute...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary B
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I was surprised to see that this Inn was not ranked closer to #1 in Camden. This was our 2nd stay because we so loved it the 1st time. And we were just as delighted the 2nd time! Meticulous attention to detail, truly exceptional (somehow multicourse, yet light & delicious, daily variety, always beautifully presented w/fresh delicate flowers and herbs from their garden) breakfast - easily one of the best for all the B&B's we've stayed in, our bed was wonderful. I had avoided the pancakes the 1st morning for something more diet friendly (my request was easily accommodated). The owner/chef happened to chat with us the next day, saying they do whatever possible to put fresh, healthy food into their guests. For example the pancakes are actually made with whole grain flours, etc. I realized that at this place I could easily eat the pancakes (which I did on the next morning - very light and so delicious!) and stay true to my diet.
We're planning another visit next summer and look forward to booking our 3rd stay.

1 Thank lindarosscs
CyndiO, Owner at Inns at Blackberry Common, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
First of all, thank you for taking your time to write a review! It does show that your travel experiences are very important to you... and they are to us too! We are so glad that you again enjoyed your stay here with us and that you appreciate the efforts we make in creating breakfast menus that are both healthy and delicious! Using our fresh herbs from the garden...and our own blackberries ... we then locally source all our other ingredients so that many dishes become a seasonal favorite!

And we are happy to hear you were well rested in those comfy beds and that you appreciated our attention to the little details! Any suggestions are always welcome on what else we can do to enhance your stay with us.

So glad you will be returning...that is truly the very best reward for us! And thank you again for your review...we too hope to move to the top of the list!
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

We travel quite a bit and really enjoy staying at Passport To New England Inns. My wife and I decided on the Inns at Blackberry Common for a short visit to the Maine coast. Not only were we glad we made this Inn our choice but we were especially pleased with our room. I will say that I generally look at the Inn's web-site prior to booking a room to insure I have some idea of what's available when I make my plans with the Inn so I did have some idea of the room in advance. The room had a nice seating area and a separate entrance to the garden. Very conducive to relaxing in while reading a good book or knitting, we did both, who needs TV. The staff was very courteous and helpful from the check-in process right through our leaving. Anytime we needed anything all we had to do was ask and it was taken care of promptly. Jim and Cyndi, the innkeepers, were great and very knowledgeable about the area. They provided both dining and day activity information and reservations for the latter activities. Jim prepared the most amazing breakfasts and you could tell he was a culinary trained chef. My wife is diabetic and was perfectly pleased with breakfast and its suitability to her needs. It was actually nice to not have to decide from an extensive menu what to eat for breakfast. We look forward to returning some weekend between November and June when Jim prepares Saturday Dinner. The gardens were very nice and in the morning you had the choice of dining inside or on the patio, of course that would depend on the weather. There is much to see and do in the area and the Inn's location made it convenient to walk down to the harbor as well travel to other local towns and sights. Be sure and take the drive up Mt Battie (or hike if you are into that), the views are spectacular. We went out on a Schooner for a 2+ hour trip and really enjoyed the ride, the sea air, and again the views of Penobscot Bay. If you are ever in this area I would recommend a stay at the Inns at Blackberry Common.

1 Thank DickandPaulineP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Our first B&B on the trip. We received a warm welcome, some problems with our two booking but not the fault of the owners.
We ate out down at the waterfront, great food and prices. Breakfast at the Blackberry was really good.
One issue for older people may be dragging heavy cases up narrow stairs.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank E-pottii
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

We didn't feel comfortable at this place. "Too early" was the first welcome we got as we came in earlier than the check-in time. I was warned immediately that I should have used the front door and rang the bell for check in, instead of using the side door that's near the parking area. I hadn't seen the sign next to the side door prompting to use the front door for check-in. I can't say the innkeeper lady wasn't nice, she did try to be helpful, I just didn't feel comfortable.

The breakfast may be the best thing about this inn, but it was the worst part of our stay here. They seem to cook carefully prepared starters, pancakes, waffles and omletes, but we don't eat anything sweet, and we don't like to eat too much eggs or butter. Even though they tried hard to satisfy our needs it turned out to be too time consuming and too complicated. The first day I was happy with polenta without the sweet sauce, and egg-white omelet.The second day our wish for boiled eggs had to be passed to the chef and turned down a couple of times before it was eventually granted. We had to spend much more time for breakfast than we wished. By the way, breakfast ends at 9:30 am. The third day we went to the market and had breakfast at the patio of our room.

But if you are flexible about food and you don't mind waiting for breakfast to be served it may be a good place for you.

There were good coffee machines in both buildings, but there wasn't always coffee.

Our room had a private entrance and a little patio (in Elms building) (make sure you have bug repellent). The room itself smelled pretty bad. The rooms in the main building may be very different of course, but the only reason I stayed at this inn was the private patio, but it wasn't very private and there was a lot of street noise. We also woke up at 8:30 in the morning to machinery noise; they were doing work near the patio, I'm not sure what.

No fridge. Shower was powerful, but water was leaking out of the shower cabin. Ten minutes walk to town center.

1 Thank NDRaigg
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Unlike other recent reviewers our stay was not so enjoyable. We got allocted room 4 which is on the 3rd floor at the top of the building with no view and a very low ceiling. Washbasin is in the room rather than in the bathroom which we did not like. We found the room claustrophobic
and banged our heads several times on the low ceiling. No TV in room!

Breakfast was good and we liked the location

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the higher floors
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple