“Blackberry Bliss!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
boston
“Blackberry Bliss!”
Reviewed January 1, 2008

Our stay at the Blackberry Inn was exceptional in all ways. We were very excited about the positive reviews we read on tripadvisor, and even our high expectations were surpassed. The staff (Cyndi, Jim, and Ruthie) were incredibly gracious and warm. As soon as we walked through the door, they had recommendations of places to go and things to do. Our room (the Hidden Garden room) was immaculate. The king-sized bed had the softest sheets I've ever felt, and combined with the feather bed atop the mattress, we had luxurient nights of sleep. The bathroom had both a shower and a large jacuzzi tup. There was an electric fireplace that kept our room warm and cozy (we loved the romance of it as well!) and we were loathe to leave the inn, in spite of all the charm of Camden's town center.

One thing that cannot be understated is the FOOD!! Jim spent a few years in culinary school, and the meals we ate there (including a five-course dinner on New Year's Eve) were some of the best of my life! That may sound like an exaggeration, but I promise you...it's not! Everything was fresh and amazing. They were also very quick to accomodate any requests or changes that we wanted.

There is an honor bar stocked with wine, local micro-brews, water, and soda. In the main house, we also enjoyed tea, coffee, and sweet treats that are kept out at all times.

I also have to mention an incredible massage that I received. Ruthie was kind enough to book this appointment for me prior to my arrival. Just a short walk from the inn, Aiyana Athenian (at the wellness center in the yellow house) gave me one of the best treatments I've ever gotten. I went to massage therapy school and therefore have both high standards and knowledge of how a massage "should" be. I walked out of my appointment feeling blissfully unwound and astounded at her skill. She has a true gift. If you stay at the inn (and why wouldn't you given all of the excellent reviews on this site?) you MUST book an appointment. The rate is reasonable ($60 for an hour and $90 for an hour and a half) and incredibly worth it. The number is [--].

We can't wait to return. We love going to bed and breakfasts around New England. During the summer months, I am sure that Camden is bustling and too crowded for our taste. But in the quiet of the off-season, we have found our perfect retreat. A huge thanks to Cyndi, Jim, and Ruthie for truly making our year!!

• Liked — the food
  • Disliked — the children
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Boston
Reviewed November 12, 2007

It would be impossible to say too many wonderful things about Blackberry Inn. My boyfriend found this gem on the web when looking for last minute places to stay for a long November weekend getaway in New England. The culinary package caught our eye - we love to cook as well as eat good food. We arrived late Friday night, well after normal check-in hours, but the innkeepers, Cindy and Jim, were very kind and accomodating. They gave us a brief tour and then lead us up to our room. We booked "Treetops" which you access outside the main building, up a staircase overlooking the garden. The room is beautiful, with high arched ceiling, sitting furniture, gas fireplace, high quality linens, king-size bed, and pillows, pillows and more pillows. The adjoining bathroom has a stand-up shower and separate claw-foot tub. The rooms were spotless and tastefully decorated in the Victorian style, but not over the top. After a glass of wine at the honor bar (available 24 hours), we slept like a dream, woke up Saturday to a two-course breakfast in the main building. Jim is an amazing cook! Everything was fresh, and his attention to detail (orange zest on the multi-grain pancakes) made us feel like royalty. We spent the day exploring Camden - great hiking and coastal driving nearby, and returned to the Inn for the cooking class. Jim and Josh (a local chef) lead a lively and hands-on class during which we made wild mushroom risotto, pan-seared duck breasts, crepes, and roasted vegetables. Most of the produce was locally grown and organic. Tasting our cooking was, of course, the best part, but we had to save room for the five course dinner included in our package. Dinner at 7pm was divine. I would be the first one to admit I'm a food snob and, living in a city, have plenty of opportunity to try high-end cuisine. Blackberry Inn can stand alongside any east coast urban restaurant. Jim and Josh are wonderful chefs, who know how to use fresh ingredients to make elegant but not frou-frou dishes. If you stay, be sure to have at least one dinner at the Inn. You won't regret it. After dinner enjoy coffee and play scrabble or chess next to the wood burning stove in one of the three available parlors, or go back to your room for a long soak in the tub. We have no doubt Blackberry Inn will see us again!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Northern Massachusetts
Reviewed September 19, 2007

I just returned from a 4-night stay at the beautiful Inns at Blackberry Common in Camden, Maine. This was my first experience ever staying at a Bed & Breakfast. I can't say enough about the experience. Jim & Cindy were wonderful hosts. This Inn is lovely. The rooms & bathrooms were immaculate and the bed linens & towels were plush. Breakfast was incredible and each day we wondered - "what will we have today?" There were 10 of us in our group -- it was a very relaxed Corporate Staff Meeting. They were very accommodating and we were able to arrange for lunch each day. Let me tell you - we have never had such great food for an entire meeting! I highly recommend the Inns at Blackberry Common whether it be for a weekend getaway or you might even consider it for a small, relaxed meeting. Also, there is so much to do in Camden -- great restaurants and shops as well as the harbor -- all within walking distance of the Inns.

• Liked — The Quaintness of the Antique Homes and furnishings
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2007

We just got back from a wonderful stay at the Blackberry Inn and cannot say enough good about the experience. It was our 10 year anniversary and we were hoping the Inn would be as great as it looked on the internet. The good news is that it was better than we could have imagined. The staff are wonderful and when they say, feel at home, they really mean it. We stayed in the most beautiful, comfortable room (Garden Gate), were treated to wonderful breakfasts and warm hospitality at every turn. This Inn gets it right, down to the last detail. For example, I am not a big fan of meat...so the picnic that was packed for us included a hummus sandwhich for me. My husband ordered my favorite flowers (daisies) and asked that wheat stalks be added (our wedding flowers had wheat stalks...I loved them even though it is somewhat odd!), and the staff took care of the rest. We even got champagne and chocolates delivered to the room and the presentation was beautiful. If you are looking for a peaceful experience at a beautiful Inn, close to everything you could ever want to visit in the Camden area that will also leave you raving about the experience, stay at this Inn.

• Liked — The staff were sincerely nice
  • Disliked — Really liked everything about this place
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
SoCal
Reviewed August 25, 2007

This was the second stop of my New England adventure and one I will not forget. Upon checking into the Blackberry Inn, I was greeted by a delightful young woman, who informed me that I was staying in “The best room in town”. I kept my enthusiasm in check, I wanted to see the room for myself (the pictures don’t do this room justice). After a tour of the common rooms in the main house, she lead me to the back of the property where my room was located. As we ascended the two short flights of stairs to the “Treetops” room, we were greeted by a pair of Dove’s guarding their nest on a beam supporting the canopy covering the stairs. Back to reality though, I wondered if I would be able to lug my heavy luggage up and down the steps by myself. This however, I found was not a problem. The steps are wide, with a comfortable step height, which is very accommodating to the new roll away luggage. At the top was my private deck overlooking the flower garden, with fragrant blooms, Adirondack chairs on one side and a Bistro Table with chairs to the other.

My large spacious rooms left nothing to chance. First class linens on my lush bed with half a dozen pillows, more than ample towels and toiletries in a bathroom fit for a Princess but masculine enough for a Prince. This is what awaited me on the other side of the beautifully etched glass door. When I stepped into “The best room in town” I instantly knew why. I planned my morning coffee sitting in one of the chairs wrapped in a yummy robe left for me and then envisioned myself sitting in the other chair in the cool afternoon shade left by one of the many trees, partaking in wine and cheese while reading one of their many books.

I could go on and on about the Service, Breakfast (don't miss the Gourmet breakfast made by the Innkeeper himself) and Room, but the best treasure is that this room, is the perfect place to looses oneself, or learn how to relax. The surrounding area is beautiful and there is so much to do and see, a week stay would be needed to take it in. I would recommend the Treetops room to anyone who is looking for peace and quiet in the lap of luxury.

• Liked — Peacefull Setting
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank BarrySunny
Reviewed June 22, 2007

We were one of two couples up for a golf weekend at Samoset Resort, and we began our stay at The Blackberry Inn's Carriage House. From the moment we arrived, we felt like we were staying in someone's home, with the same warmth, welcome and caring attention that we would welcome a family member or close friend to our home. We were greeted with a deliciously refreshing pitcher of home brewed iced tea, were nicely escorted to the restful Hidden Garden room with lovely garden access and views, and upon departure began our day with an outstanding intimate homecooked breakfast. The menu of fruit-laden organic oats and a fresh herb goat cheese omelette with organic eggs and herb sauteed tomatoes was memorable both for being flavorful but also for eclipsing in quality the comparatively unimaginative continental breakfast we recieved in a self-serve basket at the Samoset's famed Flume House ($900+ night) the next day. A "foodie" will really appreciate this culinary send-off into the day. The generous jet bath tub was another relaxing amenity that was put to good use. Two suggestions to the very congenial inn keepers Cyndi and Jim: an updated,larger flat screenTV in the room and menues for downtown restaurants (a short walk on narrow sidewalks from the inn) would be great. But all in all, this Inn and its owners were a great find, and despite it being located on a main drag, once you are in the ambiance of the Inn, any noise from cars is but a distant sound (example, another guest was reading, undisturbed, in the garden when we arrived). We would definitely return (same room) and in the meantime, will enjoy coffee at home from our Blackberry Inn coffee mug.

L. Edmonds
Massachusetts

• Liked — warmth of hosts, fantastic breakfast, cozy/clean room with comfortable bed, nice jet tub
  • Disliked — small TV was hard to see
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank golfbabe1
Landenberg, PA
Reviewed March 11, 2007

We stayed at the Blackberry Inn over the holiday season in 2006... the atmosphere was warm and inviting and we were able to enjoy time within the inn quarters, and not just in our room. We love Camden too!

The innkeepers were a delight and really seem to enjoy their work. Jim cooked breakfast daily, and it was EXCELLENT!

We stayed in the Cottage house room, which is a great room. The room has an outside entrance, its own efficiency kitchen, two bedrooms and a great wood stove that heats the room via gas.

We really enjoyed it and will visit again!

• Liked — The breakfast and the room were great!
  • Disliked — Nothin!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family