“Timbercliffe Cottage is the whole package - tied up with a bow!”

Timbercliffe Cottage Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #10 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 15, 2007

Our two night stay just after Labor Day was simply too short - I wish we could have stayed with Karen and Dave at Timbercliffe Cottage longer. It was the best B&B of our 11 night vacation in Maine and Rhode Island. Dave and Karen are warm and helpful hosts, they feel like friends right away.

Our experience was fabulous. The rooms are very thoughtfully put together and give you a true early New England feel. Sitting out on the wrap-around porch one evening when the house was quiet, we were able to pretend the lovely view belonged to us alone - it was a sweet daydream!

I especially admired the pantry filled with treats for the guest, well, more specifically the uber fabulous expresso/coffee machine. I saw the same model at Williams Sonoma. Delish coffee to go with the fresh baked cookies, heaven!

We stayed in the 1620 Chamber and it was a very nice size room with a king bed and had a lot of nice little touches and decorations. Towels and bedding are high quality and super comfy. I will have to say that the bathroom for the 1620 Chamber is seriously tiny, but this is a seriously old home. It is not surprising that a bathroom could be small and it did not impact the enjoyment of our stay at all. If a big bathroom is important to you, however, you should absolutely still stay at Timbercliffe - just choose a different room.

Both mornings we were able to have our breakfast outside on the porch. The food was artfully presented and delicious. Karen works hard on the quality and variety of dishes and it shows. We never left hungry.

Timbercliffe Cottage is the perfect choice for the traveler to Camden who appreciates warm hospitality and lovely surroundings (and a cookie or two!).

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HappyCheesehead

Reviewed September 9, 2007

We stayed at this B&B for three nights and wished it could have been longer. From the moment we booked our reservations- we knew the service was going to be great! Karen and Dave were very nice but not overbearing like some innkeepers we have met. They have outdone themselves when it comes to restoring the inn and they certainly put their heart into every decision. The decor was tasteful and the breakfast was very tasty! In regards to the previous comment about the portions being skimpy – I think everyone has opinions on what a serving size is however it was plenty for all of the guests that I dined with and Karen offered seconds every morning. We look forward to our next trip to Camden ( and to Timbercliffe)

2  Thank loves2travelanywhere
Reviewed September 2, 2007

The Timbercliffe Cottage is a lovely B&B in Camden, ME. In my opinion, it has the advantage over the other B&Bs because it is located up and off of the main thoroughfare, making it a quiet place to stay.

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Timberclifffe Cottage for 5 days in July and stayed in the Chaucey Keep Chamber, which is the Cadillac of rooms in the house. It did not disappoint. The room was meticulously adorned with simple but exquisite decorations/furniture. Though it was July, we used the fireplace almost every night we were there because the nights were quite cool. The bed was large and comfortable, and the linens were soft and extremely comfortable.

David and Karen, the inn keepers, were friendly and beyond helpful. Though they are fairly new to the area, they are two people whom are in-the-know and did not hesitate to offer bountiful advice. Though my girlfriend and I love to sleep in, we woke up EVERY morning to the wonderful smells of Karen's breakfast. We happily arose from our comfortable bed to a delicious breakfast, usually fresh local fruits with homemade whipping creme and a fresh-baked scone or poppy bread. That was followed by a hot entree: delicious french toast, gingerbread waffles (shaped like hearts, to boot), frittata, bacon....it was all spectacular. We ate breakfast every morning outside on the porch to the beautiful view of the Penobscot Bay.

Though there was so much to do in the surrounding areas, my girlfriend and I wished we would have spent more time in the Timbercliffe itself. The warm rooms were so inviting and beautifully decorated. We are planning to visit again soon, perhaps in the fall or winter, when the weather will encourage us to stay indoors.

Oh, and don't forget to take advantage of Karen's delightful baked goods in the afternoon/evening. I feel dumb admitting this, but, yes, it was us that ate the majority of your cookies. Yum!

Of course, say hello to Caffrey the friendliest golden retriever host on the East Coast.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank ChicagoMikey512
Reviewed August 27, 2007

Our stay was ok, not great, and we felt there were better choices in the area.

Pluses were...beds were comfortable and the inn has been recently renovated with attention to detail and a cozy fireplace and welcoming porch, cookies served in the afternoon, and Dave the owner was very personable and willing to do whatever he could to make our stay enjoyable.

Breakfast consisted of a really nice fruit cup, a fairly tasteless scone and one serving of spinich quiche. Location to center is walkable but there are some b&b's closer to the activities.

Negatives were ... the breakfast set up on the porch. It consisted of a table for six and then off to the side, a couch with a small "coffee" table for two . The result of this set -up was that three couples (including us) enjoyed breakfast together while another couple was left to themselves, even though they would have liked to join us. It was awkward for all. Also, Karen one of the owners, was not welcoming, seemed aloof and was absent for much of our stay.

Stayed: August 2007
6  Thank WinchesterMA
Reviewed August 21, 2007

I chose the Timbercliffe based upon reviews I had read on Travel Advisor. I thought I'd go back to review them before I wrote mine - I went as far back as the Feb. 27, 07 review. What I realized is that I can just write a big 'ditto' to all the reviews. I whole-heartedly agree with everyone's summation of the hosts (David and Karen), the amazing breakfasts, and the sumptious and not fruffy accommodations. So, instead of repeating, I thought I'd add some new thoughts.

My boyfriend had to cancel at the last minute so I ended up traveling solo. I thought I'd feel extremely awkward being at a B&B alone, but this was not the case at all. Dave was able to recommend restaurants where I would feel comfortable sitting at the bar and eating. Plus, breakfast was offered 'family-style' - with the option to sit at a large table inside, or one of several large tables outside. Instead of sitting solo at one of many 2-seater tables available as I had imagined, this family-style option let me sit and mingle with others. Plus, the guests were all fasinating as they were from all over the country. One couple had a child who was as welcome as anyone.

I stayed in the Goodman Jesse Thomas room. While I thought this room seemed a little dark due to the deep cranberry canopy on the bed, I chose it because of its spacious bathroom and full-size clawfoot tub. it did not disappoint. Even only filled halfway, I could completely soak underwater up to my nose. Plus, very pleasant smelling bath salts and fluffy towels provided completed the bath experience. This room also is on the garden side of the inn and I did not hear any street noise.

I also appreciated the 'unfru-fru' aspect of the inn, especially it's lack of TV and telephones. It really contributed to a quiet, peaceful atmosphere at the inn.

All in all, it was a truly wonderful inn experience and I would recommend it to anyone - traveling solo or for a romantic weekend. Both will be equally as pleased.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank Travelin_Jen
Reviewed August 13, 2007

The Timbercliffe is located off of the main street at the edge of town. You can see the bay from the house and landscaping is attractive. The home is nicely decorated, not overdone like some B & B's and the hosts are super nice. Camden had cool evening weather for our visit, so my wife and I sat by the fireplace in the common area. Next visit to Camden, we want to stay at the Timbercliffe again.

3  Thank regularjoe
Reviewed August 11, 2007

Our hosts at another B&B recommended Timbercliffe to us, and we were so glad they did. Timbercliffe is a beautiful home located just outside of town with a great view of the harbor. The home is decorated very tastefully with great attention to historic detail. We stayed in the Goodwyfe Mary room, and probably would have stayed a week if we could! We had a great view, a king-size bed and a fireplace. The shower was great, and Karen has chosen the best toiletries in Maine for you to enjoy. Not to mention the linens--I have already searched for where I can purchase the same pillows they had! Dave and Karen are wonderful hosts--they gladly made us a dinner reservation after we searched through their extensive menu collection, served a great breakfast on the front porch, and made us feel right at home (and we were only there for one day!!). We would gladly return to Timbercliffe if we are in Maine again--It was a great way to finish off our vacation.

4  Thank M19S99U