“Best place I've ever stayed!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Camden
Swan House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #17 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I've been traveling to Maine for many years. My experience at the Swan House couldn't be improved. The Kohl's immediately made me feel like family. The rooms are charming and clean, each one different from the others. Every need is graciously taken care of in a timely manner whether it's scheduling a sail or locating a nail salon, restaurant, or hiking trail.

Breakfast is so delicious and filling that you can skip lunch. Besides coffee, tea and juices, today I was served blueberry muffins, almond squares, baked grapefruit, spinach quiche, bacon, and toast. Homemade granola and other cereals were also available.

The inn has a great location, close enough to walk to town but far enough away so that you can't hear the downtown noises.

A snack of tea and cookies is available in the afternoon.

Lyn and Ken are keenly interested in their guests. I am so comfortable at the Swan House that I have chosen to return year after year.

Room Tip: The loft has two queen beds.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Innkeepers-1993, Owner at Swan House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2011

It's hard to believe that you've been visiting with us for the past thirteen consecutive years. Time flies when you're having fun, and we always have fun when you're with us. You bring so much positive energy to the other guests at breakfast by sharing your enthusiasm about your travels in Maine. We're very fortunate to have you as a loyal return guest at The Swan House. Thank you so much for the lovely review!

Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I had a much needed night away from our kiddo and The Swan House was just perfect. Lyn and Ken are the kindest hosts, and the breakfast and treats they offer were delicious! The peaceful locale has beautiful landscaping and woods surrounding the property, making it feel very private. It is only a very short walk from town with excellent restaurants, shopping, and walks along the waterfront. Lyn and Ken were eager to help us make our short getaway as relaxing as possible, with suggestions for restaurants and local hikes. It was the best deal around. So glad we found it!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the great review. It was so nice to meet you and we were happy to be able to accommodate you with a peaceful setting. We hope that your mini getaway proved to be exactly what you needed. Sometimes all it takes is a day away with a change of scenery and some quality time alone, to refresh and relax.

Reviewed May 16, 2011

We LOVE staying at the Swan Inn. This was our fourth visit! The breakfasts are wonderful. Lots of food and different breakfast items everyday. Blueberry pancakes one morning, eggs another. Fresh baked breads and pastries and wonderful homemade granola! The rooms are fresh and clean. Each one a little different theme. We stayed in the Trumpeter this time. It has its own deck to view the wild turkeys out back and skylights to let in the light. The Trumpeter is in the Carriage House in the back - very quiet and private. Great hosts, too!

Room Tip: Easy to book online and to see each room!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2010

We have just spent 2 weeks in Maine and Massachusetts staying at 8 different B&Bs, inns and hotels from $168 to $615 a night and this was far and away the best in terms of value, comfort, cleanliness, location and friendliness of the hosts. The Swan House is like a cosy Swiss chalet in a lovely quiet spot among the trees at the foot of Mt Battie (we climbed it from the B&B before breakfast) yet just minutes away from the centre of Camden (10 mins on foot, 2 by car) but without the traffic noise of other B&Bs. We had a huge beautiful room with 2 queen beds (we had our 21yr old daughter with us), private bathroom, sofa, tables, chairs and fridge, patchwork quilts, fantastically comfortable and space to spread all the stuff from our six heavy bags! Lyn and Ken were absolutely delightful, charming and informative hosts and the breakfasts were the biggest and the best we've ever had. Lyn is a true star in the kitchen - heavenly homemade granola, hot muffins, pancakes, baked eggs, crispy bacon, french toast and luscious fresh fruit salads. And then she packed up extra muffins , biscuits and granola for us to eat on our onward journey. We had only booked for one night but it was so good here that we decided to book again for a night on our way down from Northern Maine a week later and when I went to pay after the first night Ken said "oh, don't worry, you can settle up when you come back next week" so that's what we did - but what trust! Lyn and Ken are a lovely gentle, softly spoken, delightful couple and I have to say that I think the ridiculous comments in some other reviews say much more about the writers' own personality problems than they do about the Swan House - and one in particular suggests he has spent more time in institutions other than B&Bs.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Tessandavid
Reviewed August 8, 2010

My wife and I just finished another very pleasant stay at Swan House. We have vacationed there for a number of years. Lyn and Ken have always been friendly and gracious hosts and now we feel like we are visiting old friends. The Inn is always clean, well-kept and comfortable. We love the location...at the foot of Mt. Battie, sheltered by fine old trees and on Mountain Street, which is not all that busy but puts you very near the heart of Camden. If you feel like walking, it's a 10 or 15 minute stroll to Main Street; if you don't, just roll down Mountain Street and park (all day for free) at the end of Mountain Street near Route1, where it's just a minute's walk to the shops and the public landing. And, pause to take in the view of the harbor across the public library's lawn as you turn from Mountain Street on to Route 1. We also love the fact that there are no TVs in the rooms. There's a TV in the parlor for weather, news, etc.; otherwise who needs it on vacation? There is free wi-fi. I use it rarely, but I have to carry a laptop for my work and the few times I've had to use it, it works fine. The breakfasts are a delight; the sunroom where breakfast is served at 8:30, is lovely. Lyn is a wonderful cook and baker and makes each breakfast special. And before breakfast is served, there's always coffee available early, which I really appreciate. To sum up, a great friendly place in a great location, to just come and relax and feel like you are visiting friends.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GaryVincent
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We staid in the Black Swan room (145$) for one night in July 2010.

Loves: quality of the breakfast (Kashi cereals, bakery breads, homemade french toast and muffins)
Dislikes: car is needed to go downtown Camden (if not, you need to walk down a busy street on a hill for 15 minutes), very rustic looking room (uncomfortable seating but a good bed)

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Innkeepers-1993, Owner at Swan House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2010

This is in response to the comments from TripAdvisor Member - DarBou in Montreal Canada who stayed with us for one (1) night in July 2010.

We appreciate their favorable comments concerning the quality of the breakfast - "Best breakfast of our trip in Maine!" and "good bed".

We are sorry they were disappointed with our "rustic" looking room even though it is accurately described as such (with photo) on our website - "Decorated with gingham checks, country quilts, natural wood, hand-stencilled walls, and a queen-size sleigh bed, the Black Swan Room is the epitome of rustic country charm!" We don't understand the term “weathered room" since it is an interior room with fresh wallpaper, paint, bed quilt, etc. At the time they booked the reservation, there were three (3) other rooms available that are not “rustic”, and the reservation was still booked online even though "rustic" was not to their liking.

Their comment - "car is needed to go downtown (if not, you need to walk down a busy street on a hill for 15 minutes)" - is a surprising one since the majority of our guests prefer to leave their car at the inn and walk the five (5) blocks to the center of the downtown which normally takes 10 to 15 minutes. The walk to town is safe since it is a residential street, there is a sidewalk with street curbing, and the amount of traffic is about 1/10th of what is on US Route 1 (a.k.a., Elm Street-Main-Street-High Street).

Also, there is a map on our website showing our location in relation to the downtown harbor area on Route 1, and the first sentence on our Availability Page under General Notes states - "The Swan House is physically located in the town of Camden and within walking distance (10 minutes or 5 blocks) to the center of town." Again, there was adequate and accurate information provided describing the distance to town, and the reservation was still booked online even though the "distance to town" in their estimation was too far to walk.

Lastly, It is our goal to ensure that all guests are completely satisfied during their stay with us. If at the time of check-in we would have been advised that the room was not to their liking and/or the distance to town was too far, we would have released these gentlemen from their reservation with no cancellation fees, and assisted them in locating a newer boutique type lodging establishment closer to town.

Reviewed July 26, 2010

Even though this review will be considered "old," I feel, given the recent controversy concerning the owners, that I really need to weigh in on this discussion. We spent four days at the Swan House after a couple of weeks in Nova Scotia/New Brusnswick. I had broken my leg in Nova Scotia and when we called before our arrival at the Swan House, my husband asked Ken if he could suggest a place in Camden to obtain a wheel chair for me (while it may sound strange to you, we are "Maineiacs" and a broken leg will not keep us from enjoying the coast!). Not only did Ken find a place to provide a wheel chair, Ken went to that place and had it waiting for me when we arrived at the Swan House. He even called the people who had reserved the downstairs suite and asked them if they would swap with our upstairs suite. (they were so considerate to do so). If I were the owner of an inn, I don't think I would be crazy about the idea of someone who is wobbly on crutches hobbling all over my lovely bed and breakfast, but Ken could not have been any nicer. After staying in hundreds of bed and breakfasts all over North America, the UK and Europe, I did not find their check-in/check-out time nor their breakfast hours to be any different or restricting than any other popular, well run inn. In fact, Lyn was so accommodating that she even gave me a recipe that our family and friends have been raving about ever since our return. My husband and I had a fantastic time, especially at breakfast, as the sense of humor and wonderful food and surroundings were so pleasant. And with everything to see and do in Camden (even IN a wheelchair!), who needs television? In all my contributions, I have never written a review this "late," but when I was reviewing bed and breakfasts, I felt it is my obligation to comment.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple