“Excellent Food, Average Service”

Peter Ott's on the water
Ranked #6 of 51 Restaurants in Camden
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located on Camden Harbor next to the public landing, serving lunch and dinner. Enjoy our comfortable warm inside seating with two fireplaces or our outside seating, only feet from the harbor and schooners with panoramic views of Camden Harbor.
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

We love coming to Camden and yet hadnt been to Peter Otts despite all of our visits! The ambience is nice, with halfwall dividers between some tables for more privacy. Its got high ceilings and brick walls with local artists' paintings and appropriate soft music playing in the PA system, tealights on the varnished wood tables. A mini loaf loaf of warm, locally made bread is provided to your table, with cutting board, serrated knife and soft, whipped butter. This is one of the few places in town where you can get Stella Artois beer ($4 on tap), which my hubby loves and which we couldnt find here for our past three days!
I ordered the PO Mai Tai, which was pricey at $10 and skimpy, but delicious even though though there was no cherry garnish. humpf! We shared a side ceasar salad for $6. It was a basic ceasar, but nice and not overly dressed.
Hands down it is THE place to go for steak and fresh seafood. We love that they list their local food source vendors on the back of the menu. My hubby had the 10 oz sliced sirloin wiith dijonaise sauce ($26?) which was heavenly. Sooooo much better quality steak and skilled prep than the steak au poivre he suffered through the night before at The Whales Tooth in Lincolnville ( be sure to read my review of that place! Ugh.) .
I ordered the broiled haddock with fresh picked lobster meat on top -- two nice pieces of lobster, including a whole claw, and a lovely lobster sauce. The fish was cooked perfectly, and the lobster meat succulent. I rarely clean my plate, and I ate every. Single. Bite. ;)
The side veggie that night was corn with green beans, both the corn kernels and beans were sauteed and yummy. We loved it! A nice change from potatoes! Our server was pleasant enough, but she had no real warmth nor interest in us or our meals. Our bill came to $72 plus we left a $14 gratuity , so $86. It is pricey, but it was delicious. There are less expensive entree options to choose from, so dont let the price put you off.
We will definitely go back next time we are vacationng here!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Another great meal. Steak was the best..better than any steakhouses or cruises we have been on! Horseradish mashed potatoes were also incredible.
Appetizers of bacon wrapped scallops and fresh crab cakes were the best ever had!
Great location downtown Camden.
Atmosphere and service also excellent.cant wait to go back!

1  Thank DiMath
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We've been coming to Rockport/Camden for seven years now and only last year did we get to Peter Ott's after a friend had been raving about it for years. Why did it take so long? Well, maybe it's that when we're in Maine I figure I've got to enjoy lobster as much as possible, and, after all, Peter Ott's is a steakhouse. Or that it is set back away from the harbor, where all the tourists flock. We'd walked past it a dozen times before finally heading in.

Well, we did get lobster twice on this trip, but we also went to Peter Ott's twice. You will not find a better experience anywhere around. The service is outstanding (particularly Alicia) and the filet mignon is melt-in-your-mouth quality. Cooked to perfection by Peter himself. It's clear he takes pride in his establishment and the food his staff turns out. Our meal was so wonderful I had to introduce myself to him and offer congrats.

If you're in the area and you want a top-tier restaurant experience, Peter Ott's is a must.

2  Thank tedtom51
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Enjoy a very good meal. I had the 10 oz sirloin and my wife had the 14 oz pork chop. Both very large portions and delicious. The atmosphere was nice with a lot of original art hanging on the walls. The noise level was moderate and it was easy to carry on a conversation.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

My family put off choosing a restaurant for our last night in Camden until the last minute, and called to see if Peter Ott's had a table at 7pm on a Saturday night. When we arrived, the place wasn't very full, but yet we were seated at an awkward table right near the hostess station and entrance to the bathroom. We considered asking to be moved, but it took a while for our waitress to come over and we had already been served our water, so we decided not to bother.

My kids ordered the cheeseburgers, and they liked the homemade fries and hearty burger. I wanted something lighter so I ordered the salad bar ($9) and the ravioli appetizer ($9) which was described as butternut squash ravioli with a brown sage butter and sauteed onions and veggies. To my surprise, the ravioli were fried and were rubbery and I could barely cut them. When I noted this to the waitress, she took them back and asked me if I wanted something else. At that point I didn’t as my daughter had shared some of her burger with me. But instead of removing the item from the bill, she offered up a free dessert. I didn't want any more food, so I ended up paying $18 for a very basic salad bar and inedible ravioli. My husband got the salmon, and he felt it wasn't very fresh. My daughter and husband also got side Caesar salads which were OK, but nothing great for $6 each. My son had the chicken wings for a starter and liked them. So, all in all, the pub food (burgers, fries, wings) was fine, but my husband and I were disappointed with our selections.

Our waitress was very pleasant and cheerful but we felt badly for her because she had tables in our section and on the far side of the room, which made it hard to monitor what was going on. This included a long wait to get our check and to pay, which is always frustrating.

There are so many other wonderful places to eat in Camden, and we regret not planning better to get a reservation at one of them. Instead we paid over $140 with tip (our tab included a cocktail for $12, a glass of wine, and a glass of Stella) for 4 of us for a very mediocre meal.