“I wish I could eat here every day”

Boynton-McKay Food Co.
Ranked #12 of 52 Restaurants in Camden
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We drove through Camden on our way to Bar Harbor and stopped here for lunch. Delicious food, on the healthy side, with un-be-lievable desserts at the front counter. Cookied bigger than your hand. We stopped back on our return to Portland just to get more desserts.

Reviewed March 2, 2009

We were making our way up Route #1 to Bar Harbor. It was mid-morning and the continental breakfast from the previous night's hotel was wearing off, as was my latest dose of caffiene. Being neither willing to nor desperate enough to patronize the seemingly ubiquitous Dunkin' Donuts that seem to clutter the otherwise beautiful Maine landscape, we parked our car in downtown Camden and strolled around for someplace we could get some coffee and a mid-morning pick-me-up snack.

We stumbled across Boynton-McKay and it looked like our kind of place. It was.

It's got a little vibe of positive energy flowing through it...it just seemed like a laid-back, casual, happy kind of place. The space used to be a pharmacy, probably from the early part of the last century. There are interesting displays relating to its former life here and there. You can sit down, or go toward the back and order take out.

Our visit was back in July 2008, so I'm six months overdue in writing this review, but the food was pretty good so I remember what we had. We got a high-end, high-quality version of an Egg McMuffin: It was an egg with crispy, thick-cut bacon, a thick slice of Vermont cheddar cheese, with a bunch of fresh baby spinach between a perfectly toasted whole wheat English Muffin. We also grabbed a couple of their fresh, home-baked scones, as well as the fresh coffee. I don't recall the total price, but I remember thinking "Wow..that sure was reasonably priced." We grabbed a NYT, went to the park across the street overlooking the bay and marina, relaxed and savored the fresh, full flavors and excellent coffee.

Whether you're staying in Camden, or just passing through, you'd be wise to pay this place a visit when you want a pick-me-up underscored with a dash of panache and a whole lot of quality.

Reviewed January 17, 2008

Our spicy shrimp wrap was full of flavor and a very generous portion. If you're too full for dessert - I would recommend one of the chocolate peanut butter balls to go... they're the best I've ever eaten.

Reviewed November 8, 2005

We stopped in for breakfast in late October. It's quite a busy spot - appears to be popular with the locals. The skillet breakfasts are fresh, very tasty and creative. We will definitely go back.