“Amazing from beginning to the end!”
Review of Fromviandoux - CLOSED

Fromviandoux
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed in Camden for the first time over Memorial Day weekend and this was one of the highlights of our trip. Earlier in the day we went to Cellardoor Winery in Lincolnville and the chef presented food pairings with wine. It was so delicious that we decided to eat dinner at her restaurant.

When you visit the winery, they give you a card for a complimentary wine and cheese pairing. We went a little early and were served two full glasses of wine. The cheese plates - I chose a triple cream and they brought my husband an aged blue. They came with figs, dates, honey, candied nut brittle and cherries.

We ordered dinner and while we were waiting, they brought our a cauliflower purée that was wonderful. They served buttery brioche rolls and a wonderful focaccia bread.

My husband ordered a burger that came with a carmelized red onion, an aioli and a cheese similar to gyuere. It came on a toasted brioche roll with sesame seeds. It was huge and well seasoned. It came with a mound of French fries that had a Parmesan seasoning. He could only eat half.

I ordered the honey glazed duck breast over asparagus in a peppercorn sauce. Yummy!

We were getting full but had to have dessert. My husband had salted caramel ice cream. I had ricotta donuts which were light and fluffy. There was a tart lemon and a rhubarb vanilla compote on the plate. I ordered vanilla ice cream which was so creamy. My husband had the ginger shooter that came with the donuts.

The restaurant has 60 seats. It is attractive with nice art, fresh flowers and great service.

The menu changes regularly.

There is great attention to detail. There are small pieces of cloth under every cup and glass on every plate from preventing them from moving around. Cloth towels in the bathroom instead of paper towels.

A hidden jewel. Very reasonably priced. A must go to. Service is relaxed. We never felt rushed.

1  Thank aml3679

Reviewed May 25, 2013

The food here is very subtle and precious, no overwhelming spices or flavors, I thought it was delicious. The portions are not big but reasonable. The atmosphere is clean and classy but a bit too high class for me which makes me feel uncomfortable. The service was excellent and very friendly. My only complaint was the alcohol pricing was surprisingly high, $12 for a pint of locally brewed beer? I had to ask the server if I was reading that correctly. The desert was the best part, we got the ricotta doughnuts and they were memorably good. Overall I thought it was really good but it was kind of dead on a Friday night, I hope they can survive.

1  Thank chris s
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Had the great fortune to attend High Tea at Fromviandoux with a group of friends. It was outstanding: the serene atmosphere; the many choices of tea, constantly refreshed; the wonderful scones with homemade marmalade, clotted cream, and lemon curd; the tiny cucumber, egg and lobster savories; the delightful sweets all coupled with unobtrusive, efficient service. Not to be missed.

1  Thank HistoryS
Reviewed May 2, 2013

After a somewhat unfriendly welcome we got seated. It took a while before a server checked in with us. Not sure why because the restaurant was not busy at all. Dinner was ok and reasonable priced. Wine was outrages expensive, we paid $16 for a glass of wine and it was not even a great wine. Would probably not go back.

1  Thank Victoria B
Reviewed May 1, 2013

You would be doing yourself a huge disservice to be in Camden and not eat at this incredible restaurant. I was here 4 months ago for the best tea service ever. So today I had tea and dinner here! Yes, it is that good. Please see my earlier review for a description of the tea. The ambiance of Fromviandoux is warm and welcoming and the restaurant is exquisitely decorated. Come to think of it, exquisite describes just about everything about this place. I recommend that you start your dinner with one of the phenomenal cheese trays. Your only problem will be choosing which ones to try. The servers are very helpful with suggestions. Another must here is the beet salad. I try beet salads at restaurants all over the country and this one is by far the best. I can also recommend the escargot and the wonderful frites. And no matter how full you are, you MUST get the ricotta doughnuts for dessert. They are truly a bit of heaven on Earth. I can't wait to return once again to Fromviandoux to keep sampling the great menu. This is a truly great restaurant. Go!

2  Thank DuffyNC