“Not a boutique”

Lord Camden Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Camden
“Not a boutique”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is you average hotel, with a good location in town. The rooms are average sized. The Keurig was dirty, creamers were old and mugs were dirty. Bathroom was decent. Continental breakfast was typical with lukewarm eggs, sausage and oatmeal. The parking lot was up the road and you needed to obtain and return a key for the lot from the front desk every time you needed to park. Wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MollysPoints
InnsManager, General Manager at Lord Camden Inn, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear MindysPoints,

I am thankful you shared a review on our TripAdvisor page. I would like to sincerely apologize for your stay experience as it is indeed not to the caliber of our services! I only wish we had a chance to have been able to address these during your stay as we strive for greatness in all aspects of our Inn to accommodate our guests towards a comfortable stay. I encourage you to give us another chance so that we may show you the hospitality that Lord Camden Inn has become well known for.

Erick Anderson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Renton, Washington
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is a fun boutique hotel that is dog friendly and has a very nice staff. Some (?) of the rooms have brick walls which was a fun touch. The bath amenities were high end Etro brand and quite lovely (good size and plentiful). The in-room coffee/tea/chai/hot chocolate is a Keurig machine. The balconies that each room has are nice (ours faced the main street in town). The bed was very comfortable, like sleeping on a cloud. We were in town for a wedding and were very happy with the accommodations, the free breakfast, and the people who work at the Lord Camden Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
InnsManager, General Manager at Lord Camden Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear JLFERG,

Thank you so much for contributing to our Inn’s TripAdvisor page! I am so pleased to learn of your enjoyment of our amenities and services during your stay with us. I receive many compliments towards our bed amenity and especially love your comments towards them being cloud like. I will be sure to share your compliments to our entire staff!

We look forward to having you stay with us again during your next visit to Camden, Maine.

Redmond, Oregon
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This converted Odd Fellows Lodge ( or some such group) has a fun interior...and the rooms are nice enough and not moldy. The staff is friendly too. But there it ends. It is located on the main street of a smallish town with just a few touristy shops and restaurants. The 'view' is the roof of the shops across the street. We ended up here after trying two other more appealing appearing hotels and being stunned by their off-season prices. Even so THIS place was about 40% more than we spent for ANY other room anywhere in a two week drive thru the Eastern seaboard and the Canadian Maritime provinces. It was late and we settled. We did not see what justifies the exorbitant prices in this little town but I guess there must be something I am missing. There is a cute bay but I mean really, Maine is full of such pretty bays (many of which we stayed at for much much less). Anyway, this place also makes you park a long block away and take a special key to get into their uncovered lot. Inconvenient especially if raining. So.. it is nice enough place to stay if you must stay in Camden.....but unless you dont really care about a view or about your money...probably can do better in another town.

2 Thank anne g
InnsManager, General Manager at Lord Camden Inn, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear anne g,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our Inn. I would like to take the time to apologize that you were unable to fully experience Camden as it should be with such a short overnight stay resulting in a below satisfactory remembrance of our town. Camden and the surrounding Midcoast region offer a wide variety of things to do and places to see, and surely much more than just the bay. Our little area of Maine is a destination to be desired for many Maine travelers as at any point you may visit many of our local shops and artist galleries; dine at an abundance of cuisine offerings; sail on one of Maine’s most picturesque Harbors and coastline; explore tremendous views and lookouts from an array of hiking opportunities, and all within footsteps from our entrances. Although we know there are lesser priced options as well as higher, we strive to provide high end products such as Gilchrist and Soames bath amenities, luxurious cotton-sateen Cuddledown linens adorned with rich fabrics from Pacific Coast accents, legendary customer and concierge services. Our 4 story boutique Inn situated within an 1883 historic brick building is surely not one of replication. Once a Masonic Temple, our Inn boasts many of Camden’s scenery from any one of our 33 balconies whether it is a Full Harbor View, a residential Village View, a River View, or a Main Street view.

We do understand your concerns about parking and have partnered with this lot to offer complimentary guest parking, keeping them safe from the hourly restrictions of the town’s streets.

Thank you once again for contributing to our TripAdvisor page as we value all forms of feedback so that we may continue to grown in a positive direction. I greatly encourage you to give Camden another try when you are able to spend a full day with us or more so that you will see its beauty as one of many sought after destinations throughout New England! We would be delighted and honored to have you as a guest of ours when you do return!

NH
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed over Memorial Day weekend. The hotel is right on The main street and within walking distance to shops and restaurants.

Our room was on the 4th floor overlooking the street and the harbor. When you walk in, tere is a place to hang your clothes, there are only 6 hangers - I like a few more. Extra pillows, an iron and ironing board and extra pillows.

The bathroom was on the right and while it was small, had nice toiletries and white fluffy towels. There was no shelf space but a vanity under the sink for storage. Could use a coat of paint and a picture in my opinion but suited our needs just fine.

As you walk further in the room, there is a little kitchenette with cupboards, a microwave, a small refrigerator, wine glasses,mand a single brew Keurig with a variety of teas, coffees, half-and-half and sweeteners.

There is a television with a DVR - you can borrow movies from the lobby. There're three large drawers under for storage. Beyon that is a charming brick wall with a sofa, floor lamp and coffee table.

There is a king size bed that was extremely comfortable with plenty of pillows. MIT had a beautiful comforter ad shame. Two nightstands on the sides.

There is a small desk and chair.

The most wonderful part of the room we did not get to enjoy because it rained the whole tie was the large private balcony overlooking te harbor.

There is a help yourself breakfast buffet on the second floor with a nice variety. Fresh fruit, yogurt, a variety of fresh breads, oatmeal with add-ins (granola, cranberries, etc.), cold cereal, make your own Belgium waffles, eggs, bacon, teas, coffee, juices... Very clean and replenished frequently

There USA fitness center on the fourth floor which we did not use.

There is free parking a block away.

The hotel nice and we would stay here again. The rooms are clean but showing their age which adds to the charm depending on your point of view.

Rhode island
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Had no room reservations for the Inn but had seen the website. My husband and I were delighted to see actual accommodations lived up to site. Room was great; staff very friendly and helpful; location couldn't be better; breakfast buffet was wonderful, including the nice breakfast room. Hope to return next year.

Room Tip: Room was on street side which in May the traffic noise was very light; but I would think during the...
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

We loved staying here. The location to all of the little shops and harbor was so convenient. We spent a lot of time wondering around Camden so I was happy the beds were so comfortable because at the end of each day I needed a good nights sleep.

• Stayed May 2013
Plainville, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My fiancee and I stayed here in April 2013 using a Groupon deal. This was our third visit to Camden. In the previous two visits we stayed at the Grand Harbor Inn (this hotel's sister) and the Camden Harbour Inn. Both of those trips were in November (2012 and 2011, respectively). My point in relaying this to you is that we're not new to Camden and especially not new to Camden in the "winter" season.

Unfortunately, this was the worst of three visits with respect to accomodations. Pros and cons:

Pros:
- Friendly staff
- Nice partial harbor view offered (also nice that this was even an option using a Groupon)
- Superior location - also, the two entrances provide a great cut-through to get to different areas of the town
- Nice built-ins in room
- Nice exposed brick in room
- Complementary Keurig machine and pods in room
- Fridge and microwave in room (good for snacks and storing/reheating leftovers!)

Cons:
- Bathrooms are tiny, at least in our style of room
- Showers have very poor pressure
- We lost hot water midway while showering. While the staff had this addressed, they offered no apology, time table for when it would be fixed, or follow up that it was all set, which for me is Customer Service 101. I found this really irritating.
- The parking. They have off-street parking, but what they don't tell you is that it is gated and about 100 yards down the street. This mean everytime you leave and come back someone has to run in and grab the parking pass to swipe at the lot, and then you have to go back to the hotel and return it before you do anything else. This is kind of a hassle.
- Breakfast. The off-season breakfast is underwhelming - cereal, some coffee cake, breads, mini pieces of melon and a waffle machine - just a bunch of carbs. The breakfast at any Hampton Inn is far superior and I say that without an ounce of exaggeration. The second morning we went to Marriner's, which was delicious.
- The room: it smelled funny, the deck and bathroom could have been cleaner, and behind the bed was absolutely filthy. I had to plug something in and it was a mess.
- Checkout: manager checked us out and didn't ask how our stay was. He was friendly, but we thought it was odd that we didn't get that standard question.
- WiFi: broken for most of our trip (2 nights), and even when it was working it was painfully slow.

Also, I'll say the bed was neither pro nor con. I think my bed at home is better, but this wasn't bad. It was just meh.

Overall, I will say that for the Groupon deal we used it was fine. We got what we paid for, but I would never come here again for the normal prices charged in the summer.

Clearly this score and experience is in the minority, so maybe we're just spoiled. Their sister hotel, the Grand Harbor Inn, is phenomenal. The rooms are amazing, the view is great, amenities are first class, etc. Similarly the Camden Harbour Inn has great amenities and amazing breakfast.

In my humble opinion this hotel is just okay, and you can find far better nearby. To us this is important because most businesses in Camden close down around dinner time. Unless you plan on spending the whole night in bars and restaurants you will eventually be back to your room. Having a comfortable, nice room to go back to is important and worth the extra change.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ryan L
InnsManager, General Manager at Lord Camden Inn, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Ryan L,

Thank you so much for choosing the Lord Camden Inn for your recent stay here in Camden and for taking the time to provide a review of your experience.

I would like to take a moment and apologize for your discomfort during your recent Groupon stay with us. We take great pride in receiving all forms of feedback from our guests so that we may grow in a positive direction.

Please understand that the experience you recorded in your Yelp and Trip Advisor review is not to the standard of Lord Camden Inn. Our rooms are indeed different in size comparison to some of the newer locations in the area as we are a historic property with limited room for growth; however our standards are kept high in regards to our amenities and services. I was aware of our short term water issue during your stay and apologize that you did not receive a timely apology for this as it was remedied. Our wifi is one of the best in the area which we have place a lot of investment effort in building; unfortunately this was our first challenge which indeed caught us off guard as we had never experienced this scenario before. This has since been repaired in the form of incoming switches along with what we found to also be a service interruptions from our internet provider.

Lastly you mentioned your departure experience was unsatisfactory. As the General Manager for both Lord Camden Inn and Grand Harbor Inn I take great pride in our guest experience and personally train my personnel to our 4 Diamond Standards at Grand Harbor Inn as well as at Lord Camden Inn. My absence in inquiring about your stay was not intentional and I greatly apologize for this.

Thank you again for staying with us, please let me know if I may be of assistance to you during your next visit to Camden.

Erick Anderson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camden
16 Bay View
Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Camden Maine Stay Inn
Camden Maine Stay Inn
#2 of 19 in Camden

Been to Lord Camden Inn? Share your experiences!