“Worth the trip! But don't buy gift certificates!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Fresh & Co.
Ranked #1 of 47 Restaurants in Camden
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A relative newcomer to Camden's waterfront dining scene, Fresh serves innovative interpretations of classic coastal New England dishes inspired by the rich culinary traditions of the Mediterranean region. Self-described as one part neighborhood cafe, one part elegant bistro & bar, Fresh is designed around an open kitchen, where Head Chef Steve Steeves, and his Sous Chef Kyle Ruger, can be seen busily toiling over open flames preparing mouth watering and deeply satisfying dishes.Fresh works with local farmers, growers and purveyors to source products with integrity, flavor and soul, and incorporate seasonal offerings into their menus nightly. The result is food that is honest, straightforward and pays homage to the bounty of the local region of Maine we are so privileged to call home. Using ingredients in their peak and preparing them minimally and with respect allows Fresh to capture the essence of the season and bring it straight to your table.The Fresh experience is about more that just the food. A sincere effort to educate our staff on all aspects of food and wine culture is the basis for our service philosophy. The welcoming staff at Fresh goes to great lengths to make diners feel at ease, comfortable and well taken care of. Warm hues, soft lighting and an unexpected quirkiness encourage guests to settle in, get comfortable, and have a great time.
Cushing, Maine
“Worth the trip! But don't buy gift certificates!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband and I received a gift certificate to Fresh and were excited to try somewhere new until I read a couple of not great reviews here on tripadvisor. I am so happy to say the food was incredible!! Love the use of local ingredients, peeky toe crab cakes were delicious, salmon flavorful, and the crab stuffed halibut was the best I've had. The service was good, the atmosphere ok, the only issue was the gift certificate. The certificate was only good for purchased items and we were unable to use the remainder as the tip. I still cannot understand the thinking there, not very customer friendly. My friend gave them $100.00 hoping to share a new place they had enjoyed with us, and while we very much enjoyed the food and service, we were disappointed in the strong arm tactics of management to either make us spend over the amount, come back to spend that last 10 bucks, or maybe just forget them and then they get money for nothing. That part of the night left a bad taste in my mouth, in fact I started this review to say how great it was and now I'm upset again over their tactics, if your food and service is good you don't need to do these kind of things. Now changing review title too!

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Michelle B

Boston, Massachusetts
“Enjoyed by All”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

After walking Camden on a cold fall evening we came upon Fresh which we selected since the menu offerings met the desires of each in our party of four. What they lack in ambiance is more than offset by the quality of the meals and attentive service. Particularly memorable was the lobster ravioli with a most enjoyable sauce and the lobster stew which was complemented by some of the wonderful breads bake early each day in their adjacent bakery. Both the wine and beer lists were interesting and reasonably priced. Only wish we could have stayed to try some of their other choices. However we will know where to dine during future Camden visits.

2 Thank 100nations
Denver, Colorado
“Food was good but definitely not on the top list!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

The reviews from others seem to be good so we tried this restaurant. Yes, the food was good but the service was ho hum and the atmosphere definitely not top.

FreshCamden, Manager at Fresh & Co., responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Sally P,

Thank you for your recent visit to Fresh Restaurant and your subsequent review. I am happy that it seems you enjoyed the food you ordered. I take each review seriously and as a learning opportunity therefore, I wish you had been a bit more specific in the areas we can improve.

Most of our guests thoroughly enjoy the atmosphere and find it to be quaint and clean. We often receive remarks on how much guests enjoy the space. Especially, the open kitchen because one can see our staff preparing the evening’s offerings and working together as a team. I will read your review to my staff at our nightly meeting to remind them all that enthusiasm goes as far with our guests as knowledge and professionalism.

I do hope you return to Fresh the next time you are visiting Camden. Please feel free to ask for me.

Jessica Duffy
Boston
“Unfortunately ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Visually attractive, inside and out. A wine list with some good entries almost reasonably priced. Attentive service & a very interesting menu.

But, the mussel appetizer was very tasty until we got to the grit. Crunching down on that sandy stuff is really unpleasant and each of the four of us had that opportunity.

The entree presentations were impressive, but all were on the bland side.

Those who had desserts were very positive, but my coffee was weak.

FreshCamden, Manager at Fresh & Co., responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear xxramxx,

Thank you for joining us at Fresh on your recent visit to Camden. Your review was fair and mostly complementary. It is too bad that your entire visit was not up to par as we receive daily compliments on our food. I sincerely apologize for the gritty mussels and bland entrees. I have experienced the same in other restaurants and will certainly discuss your feedback with our Chef. I do hope you try us again and that there will be nothing but kudos in your next review.

Jessica Duffy
“Great lobster roll”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I were traveling to Camden and had seen the good reviews for Fresh so we tried it. We were not disappointed. My wife had the lobster chowder and I had to try the lobster roll. both of these items turned out to be a good choice.