“Great Dinner”
Review of Hartstone Inn

Hartstone Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Hartstone Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 48 Restaurants in Camden
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Washington St. and Free St.
Description: Butter poached Maine lobster over angel hair, Pistachio Crusted Lamb chops, Seared Diver Scallops and Grilled Salmon Nicoise are just a sample of what diners might experience at the Hartstone Inn. Steps from Camden harbor, Fodor's considers the Hartstone Inn "An elegant and sophisticated retreat and culinary destination offering a unique experience in pampered luxury." Choose from our ala carte menu which rotates weekly or our 5-course tasting menu ($48.50). With advanced notice we are happy to accommodate allergies or dislikes and create a menu especially for you. Our cellar list offers a selection of 150 bottles, starting at $24, and lauded by Wine Specatator. Proud recipient of the AAA Four Diamond Award and the American Culinary Federation Achievement of Excellence award.
maine
“Great Dinner”
Reviewed December 17, 2008

I went to Hartstone Inn for a Hoiliday gathering with my office co-workers. We had a terricfic dinner, excellent service and the Inn looked festive and beautiful. Each of the 5 courses of dinner was excellent, and Megan was very attentive to us all evening. I would highly recommend the Hartstone for an evening or a weekend!

New England
“Delicious Thanksgiving”
Reviewed December 1, 2008

Just returned from a delicious Thanksgiving meal at the Hartstone Inn. Every course was fantastic, the winelist and the service were also top-notch.

The meal started with a mushroom canneloni with lobster and a luxurious lobster cream sauce. The combination of the earthy wild mushrooms and sweet lobster was amazing.

Second course was a Sweet potato and green apple soup which was delicious. Reading the menu, I was afraid the soup was going to be too sweet, but the chef balanced the sweetness of the apple and sweet potato nicely. The crispy little croutons added a great crunch as well.

Next we were served a fabulous palate cleanser, a cranberry and lemon sorbet. Nice and tart without being too sweet, with little bits of cranberry and lemon zest that lingered until the main course...

Cider brined turkey. Fantastic! Nice and moist, each piece I had was seasoned throughout with a just a hint of apple and spice. The stuffing was just as amazing. The apricots and nuts added great flavor. Also the mashed potatoes and vegetables were very tasty. I noticed a few people in the dining room asked for more turkey and sides, and the staff gladly brought out second helpings to anyone who asked. Although I wanted more, I also wanted to save room for dessert.

Pumpkin souffle. Wow! Picture an "airy" pumpkin pie with a nice crunchy exterior. I'm still thinking about it.

The owners and their staff were extremely friendly and attentive to everyone's needs and requests. I overheard someone say they couldn't eat seafood, and they received a special appetizer without lobster. Another table had a vegetarian, who I could hear raving about a stuffed squash dish.

Overall a fantastic holiday experience, I will definitely be back!

1 Thank soxfan197
Atlanta
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“'The' place in Camden, ME”
Reviewed November 26, 2008

We heard about Hartstone Inn from a well-traveled and trusted friend who used to live in the area. Our first trip from Atlanta to this lovely B&B in Maine was in March 2006. We were able to return in November 2008. Hopefully it won't be so long before we come back.

Both trips were during the slow seasons and we received lots of personal attention from the owners, Michael and Mary Jo Salmon. They (and their well-trained staff) really know how to spoil their guests with their combined experience from the hospitality industry. Michael is an award winning chef. (Look for Julia Child's picture from when she visited.)

Each room is unique with antiques, art, and Mary Jo's eye for detail. I loved the fact that all of them have a private bath. (My husband was fond of the fresh pair of Lindt chocolates every day!) Take time to admire Mary Jo's orchids in the parlor when afternoon tea and cookies are served or cocktails before dinner.

From our combined trips, we've had about 7 of the two-course breakfasts and 3 of the five-course dinners here and never the same thing twice. Gourmet doesn't begin to describe Michael's dishes. If you spring for his cooking class and cookbooks, you'll realize a true "foodie" vacation.

A word of advice: don't book 2 dinners in a row with a cooking class in between! Even an afternoon walk may not save you!

Did I mention the reasonable prices? Atlanta has a lot of good restaurants, but you would have to pay twice Hartstone's price to get comparable quality.

Just go!

Kim & John

1 Thank kmstar
Hudson, Massachusetts
“One of the BEST”
Reviewed November 24, 2008

Friends from Rockport suggested the Hartstone Inn to celebrate our Anniversary.. I had asked for Veal if possible and they did a wonderful Veal dish. Everything we had was superb and the atmosphere and service were outstanding. It was well worth a trip from Masssachusetts and we will certainly go back again and again. I would love to stay there sometime. We have eaten in Restaurants all over the world and I would compare our meal at the Hartstone with a wonderful place in Paris.

John and Zoe Ann Liepins
Hudson, Massachusetts

2 Thank GRITSMassachusetts
Maine
“Best dining in Camden”
Reviewed November 23, 2008

This is one of the best dining places in the area. When you make a reservation (a must in the summer) you can let the person taking the reservaton know if there are foods you can't eat. Menus are posted on the website each week.
The food is excellent - prepared and presented beautifully.
A tip is added so you don't need to add one. Drinks are extra but the dinner is a set price. The service is excellent and Michael always comes out to see how you are enjoying your meal. We eat at The Hartstone on a regular basis and are never disappointed. I highly recomment it.

1 Thank Barbara N