“Great place to stay - dog friendly”

International Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calais
International Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Calais
Caratunk, ME
“Great place to stay - dog friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2007

I travel to the Downeast Maine region weekly for work and have stayed at the International Hotel numerous times. Sometimes I am there every week.

I travel and work with my dog and it is a great place to stay if you are traveling with a pet. There is a trail to walk along the river, things have always been clean, and the staff is always really nice and knowledgeable about the area.

The Riverside rooms are not available to pet owners. The rooms in the new building on the right side of the office are the best ones if you are traveling with a pet (in my opinion) as the rooms in the origional building are older.

• Liked — Pet friendly and nice staff
  • Disliked — The TVs in the rooms are not that great
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank manfarr1974

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2007

My family and I have stayed at the International Motel numerous times in the last 6-7 years. We go up to Maine a few times a year and each time we stay there. The staff has always been so kind to us and we really haven't had much of a problem there...however, about 3 years ago, my mom found a bug in her bed and demanded to change rooms and they didn't give us any problems about the room change. Since then, we haven't seen any bugs or bloodstained sheets. None of us has ever been bitten by a bug, etc.
The last time I was there was in October '06 and everything was fine...I'm going up again this week and will pay closer attention to the bed and for bugs and will let you know if I find anything. But all in all, remember..it's a MOTEL, not a HOTEL, so it's not a lavish place or anything, but it's good for the money. If you can, I would recommend staying in the Riverview building since it's the newest building and it has a great view of the river and Canada.

• Liked — wireless internet access, price, friendliness of staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Try to stay in the Riverview building
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
WOONSOCKET
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2006

We showed up without a reservation and requested and were given a non-smoking room for one night. This is an average older motel, but everything worked and we had no problems of the sort mentioned by the previous poster. The room was clean and the other guests were quiet. We had no complaints and would stay there again if we were in the area.

Stayed September 2006
3 Thank Patsina
Hartford , Ct
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2006

While attempting to find availability for a return visit , I happened upon the only other review of the International . The bedbug report explained the mystery of the fresh bloodstains on my sheets in the morning on a previous stay ! I hope the motel can get their act "cleaned up" as it's a lovely place and the staff were courtious and friendly. Obviously , I stayed elsewhere on my last visit......

• Liked — Convienient to Calais center
  • Disliked — Presence of bedbugs
  • Tips/Secrets — Inquire about steps taken to de-bug rooms
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank MrBoot
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2006

We had to stay four nights in Calais Maine. Our work picked the hotel and paid for it in advance. It seemed ok to start off, nice view of Canada over the river and it seemed clean and well kept.

On the second day I noticed that they did not change the sheets and I thought, ok so its a cheap motel. The third day they did not change the sheets again and my girlfriend was getting strange bite marks all over her body.

That night Maureen started feeling like something was crawling on her and she got up and found a small bug on her which we later found out was a bed bug. We found one more in the bed. As well we also found a large blood stain on the box spring and blood specks on the cover blanket

38 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Calais hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Calais
Winsome Inn
The Coach House
The Coach House
#4 of 7 in St. Stephen
The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection

Been to International Motel? Share your experiences!