“It is what it is”

International Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calais
International Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Calais
cmcdonaldibps
“It is what it is”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2009

stayed in a riverview unit on work, for a week in february, The room was always clean when i returned from work each night and the bed was relatively comfortable. Rest assured, you are not walking into a 4 star hotel, you get a basic clean room with a small tv, free internet and an economical bathroom. But if thats all your looking for then its really a good value.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank cmcdonaldibps

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Cumberland, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

The room was filthy, the towels stunk, I did not want to walk across the carpet. This is the worst place to stay in Calais, and I have stayed in them all. It smelled like [--].

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — It was the grossest place I have stayed in my life.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank Luvmyredmiata

Travelers are raving about these Calais hotels

North Attleboro, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2007

We recently came to Calais to visit some friends in the area and somehow missed all the bad reviews of the motel. Since all reviews that we read promised a clean stay, and many other motels in the area were booked for those nights, we decided to book both nights there. The first night at the motel we noticed a strange stain on the carpet between both beds and a bottle cap near the night stand. Since the entire motel seemed to be booked, we assumed that the housekeepers were in a hurry to get the room cleaned up and slept on the opposite bed. The following morning we left for breakfast immediately before housekeeping arrived. When we returned later that afternoon, I discovered that the duffel bag we brought with us had an unexpected surprise. There was a pair of someone else's dirty underwear in the side pocket of our bag that we left open. On top of that, the hot water in the shower worked for about 5 minutes, the soda machine by the office didn't work at all, the lamp above our bed kept making a humming noise even when it was off, and neither the stain nor the bottle cap ever left the room. I wouldn't recommend this motel to anyone.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mab252
Caratunk, ME
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2007

I travel to the Downeast Maine region weekly for work and have stayed at the International Hotel numerous times. Sometimes I am there every week.

I travel and work with my dog and it is a great place to stay if you are traveling with a pet. There is a trail to walk along the river, things have always been clean, and the staff is always really nice and knowledgeable about the area.

The Riverside rooms are not available to pet owners. The rooms in the new building on the right side of the office are the best ones if you are traveling with a pet (in my opinion) as the rooms in the origional building are older.

• Liked — Pet friendly and nice staff
  • Disliked — The TVs in the rooms are not that great
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank manfarr1974
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2007

My family and I have stayed at the International Motel numerous times in the last 6-7 years. We go up to Maine a few times a year and each time we stay there. The staff has always been so kind to us and we really haven't had much of a problem there...however, about 3 years ago, my mom found a bug in her bed and demanded to change rooms and they didn't give us any problems about the room change. Since then, we haven't seen any bugs or bloodstained sheets. None of us has ever been bitten by a bug, etc.
The last time I was there was in October '06 and everything was fine...I'm going up again this week and will pay closer attention to the bed and for bugs and will let you know if I find anything. But all in all, remember..it's a MOTEL, not a HOTEL, so it's not a lavish place or anything, but it's good for the money. If you can, I would recommend staying in the Riverview building since it's the newest building and it has a great view of the river and Canada.

• Liked — wireless internet access, price, friendliness of staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Try to stay in the Riverview building
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
WOONSOCKET
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2006

We showed up without a reservation and requested and were given a non-smoking room for one night. This is an average older motel, but everything worked and we had no problems of the sort mentioned by the previous poster. The room was clean and the other guests were quiet. We had no complaints and would stay there again if we were in the area.

Stayed September 2006
3 Thank Patsina
Hartford , Ct
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2006

While attempting to find availability for a return visit , I happened upon the only other review of the International . The bedbug report explained the mystery of the fresh bloodstains on my sheets in the morning on a previous stay ! I hope the motel can get their act "cleaned up" as it's a lovely place and the staff were courtious and friendly. Obviously , I stayed elsewhere on my last visit......

• Liked — Convienient to Calais center
  • Disliked — Presence of bedbugs
  • Tips/Secrets — Inquire about steps taken to de-bug rooms
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank MrBoot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calais
Winsome Inn
The Coach House
The Coach House
#4 of 7 in St. Stephen
The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection

Been to International Motel? Share your experiences!