“Clean room but felt unwelcome”

Bucksport Motor Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bucksport
Mojave, California
“Clean room but felt unwelcome”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I was in the area on business for a few weeks and chose this motel for location and price. I travel with my business partner and my dog so it is important that i get a pet friendly motel. From day one we felt as though we were being parented with the female owner going so far as to make us either close the window or turn the fan off. We were accused of leaving the dog in the room alone on the very first day, because we had the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. When we informed them that the dog was with us the entire day, they apologized and said they had "assumed" that is why we put the sign up, rather than asking or not assuming. Things stayed tense until we finally asked them to let us know if they wanted us to leave, but if they didn't then they needed to lighten up. Eddie apologized, but Val seemed very unwelcoming. If you don't have a pet, the experience may be a very different one than we had. The rooms were very nice... though I would have loved to return my towels in the afternoon and run the fan with the window open... but I guess that's not part of the hospitality offered. Also, there was a lot of "activity" going on in the area where the owner and his family all lived. The kids ran back and forth late and played basketball early, which is fine, but if you have to be to work early, get an end room so you can sleep.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank TMP244

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I rang ahead to check availability, and they did not have a problem with my late check-in (after 22:00) The Inn itself is set well back and above the road, tidy appearance and there are some fast food outlets nearby.
The room was recently refurbished, very clean and comfortable, with Wi-Fi, coffee machine, fridge and TV. I was only here for one night after my last day in Acadia, but would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Lyndonville, Vermont
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I am a business man and travel with my wife and a small dog. I look for quiet, location, and a welcoming warm feeling. This family operation is all of the above and more. Bucksport is a small seacoast town on the Penobscot River in Maine. It is a half hour from Bucksport, University of Maine, and just a bit more to Acadia National Park. It is open all year and for those who know Maine, it is at the edge of the "real" northern Maine forest. Fisherman, paper mills, woodsman, canoe builders (Old Town), and something for everyone. Its hidden away downtown, near Verona Island and the spectacular Vernona Bridge, a relative to the beautiful Bridge which welcomes you to Boston. Fort Knox sits in the bay across from the town and large boats navigate the river as far as Bangor. At the end of the driveway there is Dunkin donuts, a few fast few offerings, and downtown has a great book store, a nice clothing store, a small theatre, and a great walk along the river. The motel is clean with a variety of accomodatins, some with microwave, refrigerators, and an ambiance back to the 50;s. Some solar panels fit into the constant upgrading. No pretense, but a wonderful family operation.Hard working people, accomodating and kind staff the motel. I am a repeat guest so they recognize my family and welcome us when we call. Not fancy, but convenient, a place for a good nights sleep, quiet guests and on a good size chunk of property where you can walk around and relax. If you need a nice get away, not fancy, but very adequate, than visit this gem on the coast of Northern Maine. Think Lobster Dinners, Fried Clams, all very fresh, sometimes off the boat. Think rest and time out while being in the middle of a wonderland of quaintold Maine without the glitz of fast lane urban life Meet some great people along your way and enjoy going to Liberty Tools for old tools, or antique stores all along route 1. The Bucksport Motor Inn is my choice when I get a chance. bob kantar, SCC

Room Tip: Front of motel is good/ back is more isolated and more private.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We showed up here at four o'clock in the afternoon looking for a place for the night. Because of some business, my husband had to have Wi-Fi and 2) it was the first night of the World Series so Fox Sports was a must. This place had both and was neat and clean to boot! Great value for the money!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Duxbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We spent a week here while in Bucksport this summer. I had expected a run-down "motor inn," but was taken by surprise by the comfort and cleanliness of the rooms and the grounds. An added bonus: the owners were extremely helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Amy T
canada
Reviewed October 3, 2011

The last time we traveled to Bangor we stopped here and our experience was that it was clean and suitable. We went back on a shopping trip to Bangor and booked there again. It is about 1/2 hour drive from Bangor but when I went to make reservations the hotels left available in Bangor were approximately $150 - $170 per night. If you are out all day I don't see the need to pay double simply to sleep.
The check in was seamless, owners friendly, room clean, beds comfortable, fridge and microwave in the room. We got a room at the back which I found noisy (someone above had friends in at 1:00 am for an hour???) and you could hear people plainly talking. Thankfully I had brought an iPod and earphones with me. So I would ask for a room at the front if staying again.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Wool B
Coldwater, Michigan
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We were on a cross country trip from Michigan to Maine and had picked this inn for a 3-day resting spot. We are so glad we did. The rooms were clean and comfortable. It is located in a quiet little town with a beautiful walkway along the water and some decent restaurants. The inn had a Dunkin Donuts just a stones throw away and a grocery store a short walk away. The room had a microwave and a refrigerator so we were able to get some healthy food to keep in the room rather than always eating out which was a nice option. We took side trips to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park but it was really nice to come back to the relative peace and quiet of the Inn every night. We also visited the Fort Knox and Observatory Tower on the bridge that leads into Bucksport. There was a laundromat on the other end of town which was great for us since you can't store a lot of clothes on the motorcycle. The owners were very nice and accommodating. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bucksport
Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge
Colonial Gables Oceanfront Village
Fort Knox Inn
Fort Knox Inn
#2 of 2 in Bucksport

Been to Bucksport Motor Inn? Share your experiences!