“Deserves its 4 diamond rating”
Review of The Daniel

The Daniel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Brunswick
Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
“Deserves its 4 diamond rating”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed one night in the off season, so the hotel was nearly empty, but that didn't seem to dampen the staff's enthusiasm. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The room was nicely furnished, but several of the furniture pieces were chipped or scratched, which I blame more on careless guests than the hotel. I'm not a coffee drinker, but if I were ... a Keurig in the room - nice touch (ditto for the plush towels and robes, glassware, mugs). Everything and everyone was just a little nicer and a little better than a typical chain hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank advok8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Maine
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We received a weekend getaway here as a Christmas gift and used it this past weekend. While following our GPS directions, when I first saw the location, I was not impressed. It sits in the middle of nowhere in Brunswick, ME. Upon entering the lobby, I was brought back in time. The gorgeous staircase was winding with a beautiful chandelier hanging from the ceiling. The receptionist was so happy to see us and welcomed us with information about the Inn, bar, and restaurant. The first evening we had dinner in the bar as we listened to a lovely singing by guitar player...reminded me of Judy Collins. I think the bartender's name was Mary. She was so friendly and she introduced to to a yummy new drink. We had brick stone pizza and chicken wings, which were amazing. Reservations can be made for personal use of the hot tub and sauna. We did this and it was so relaxing and quiet. Apparently in the near future, a spa will be added for even more enjoyment as well. I could not have asked for a more perfect weekend getaway, nothing was missing! I would highly recommend The Captain Daniel Stone Inn to anyone looking for a relaxing weekend, with a fantastic staff that truly wanted you to be there.

Room Tip: Don't judge a book by it's cover - go inside to paradise!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Donnafitz
Kennebunk, Maine
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed here for one night and only wish we could have made it a longer stay. This hotel is luxurious with beautiful rooms, fluffy robes, very comfy bed, lovely linens, private use of the hot tub and sauna, delicious food, and great staff. Brianna, working at the front desk is delightful and was very helpful. We enjoyed getting tips and directions from her. She went out of her way to help us.
The dining room and pub are really nice. There was live music (Saturday night) and great food selections. The food was beautifully presented and very delicious. The breakfast was great, too.
Also, there is a fitness room. The hotel has very easy access to Brunswick's cute downtown. It is a short walk from the hotel. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank luv2travel1627
Clifton Park, NY
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My sister-in-law and I stayed for a girls weekend. We had a wonderful time! The staff was wonderful and very friendly. We especially enjoyed speaking with Amanda, Allyson and Henry (the general manager). The folks at the front desk were very helpful as well but unfortunately we did not get their names. The continental breakfast that is included wih the room was much more than we expected. There were waffles, quiche, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs as well as the normal bagels, toast and cereal. The dining room is very welcoming and spacious. We had between 8 & 10 inches of snow while there and there was not a single hiccup in service! We were able to watch the golf by the fireplace in the lounge for the afternoon. The bar didn't open until 4p but there was no issue of us using the area while it was closed. The hotel has several amenities that can't all be put on the website. They had a small Keurig coffee maker in the rooms with some breakfast blend coffee but next to the seating area and business area there were 2 larger Keurig machines wih many more choices available. The seating area there with a large TV was very comfortable and bright since there were windows 2 stories high. Although it was cloudy while we were there the area seemed to be very bright and welcoming. It was nice to sit and watch the snow fall. The room itself was spacious, comfortable and very clean! Loved the colors since they were very welcoming as well. This hotel was not far from the main highway and only 15 minutes from Freeport. The restaurant on site, although open only evenings was very good as well with a very friendly waitstaff. Reservations are needed on Friday and Saturday nights because folks from the area come in droves for the good food! We had a wonderful experience and would love to plan a trip back there. We really can't say enough about it. :)

Room Tip: Loved the idea that if the room got too warm, the windows actually open!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank NCISFan2011
Old Town,Maine
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed one night at this beautifully restored inn. Our room was meticulous and the bed with it's luxurious linens was lovely and relaxing. The included continental breakfast in the tavern was excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful. The location is convenient to downtown Brunswick and Bowdoin College. Our daughter just bought a house in Brunswick, so we will definitely be visiting the inn again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
hospitalitymanager, Guest Relations Manager at The Daniel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
We appreciate your review of the inn. It is pleasing to hear that your stay was relaxing. We will share your review with our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Mandi Cote
Portland
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I recently stayed at the Captain Daniel Stone Inn and was very excited for my stay because it is an Ascend Collection Hotel. I work in the Hospitality Industry and therefore I love to travel and check out different hotels. The actual hotel was beautiful and the front desk girl was amazing. She was super helpful and friendly. The rooms were impeccably clean and the atmosphere of the hotel was homey and chic. The only qualms I have is that the bar tender who works at their onsite restaurant was incredibly rude to me. I made a simple request to her on how to use the coupons the front desk girl gave me to use at the restaurant and she scolded me like I was a child. I am in my late 20s but I’m still a paying customer and expect to be treated with equal respect as all the other patrons. I felt that she did not treat me as well as her older, seemingly more wealthy patrons because she thought I was not important. I understand that bar tenders are very busy and have stressful jobs. However, I don’t understand the logic that she can’t take my order because she is too “busy” but yet can chit-chat and schmooze with all of her other patrons in the room. Overall, this hotel is very nice but some of the employees need to change their attitudes towards the guests.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Anonymous7779
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have stayed in some great hotels, but the Captain Daniel Stone Inn in Brunswick, Maine really surpassed all expectations. From check-in to check-out, the staff was courteous and helpful, the food at the restaurant was excellent, and they have a great gym. But this was no ordinary stay -- while here, the northeast was hit with a blizzard that covered the bucolic scenery with two feet of snow. The roads were closed and my flight out of Portland was cancelled. I was happily marooned at the Inn for three days longer than planned. I was so impressed at how the manager and his staff stayed at the hotel to look after the ten remaining guests. They even cooked me a perfect cheeseburger and sweet potato fries when I was famished one afternoon even though the restaurant was closed. I am truly grateful to their hospitality and would recommend their establishment to any and all, good weather or blizzard! The room was warm and spacious, the bed and pillows comfortable, the bathrooms new and clean (and endless hot water!) and there was always complimentary tea, coffee, and fruit available and a comfortable lounge to read and relax, as well as a fireplace to sit beside and watch the blizzard descend upon us. Hats off to the friendly manager and his team, who changed the way I think about the hospitality industry forever!! This is the place to stay in Maine!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank joe s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brunswick
The Brunswick Hotel and Tavern
Best Western Plus Brunswick Bath
Travelers Inn
Travelers Inn
#3 of 11 in Brunswick

Been to The Daniel? Share your experiences!