“Nice hotel - mixed service.”
Review of The Daniel

The Daniel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Brunswick
Boston, MA
“Nice hotel - mixed service.”
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

This is a nice hotel. Add a pool and it will be a really nice hotel.

We really liked all the housekeeping staff and the breakfast attendants. The reception staff - however - left a lot to be desired. They were either not at the desk or rude (with exception of the lady who checked us in). My advice? Switch the staff around and have the reception people clean toilets and have the housekeepers greeting people.

Will we come back? Sure - especially if the add a pool!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank ADLeeXXIV

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Upbeat, very courteous staff and charming large, clean rooms and comfy beds Everyone went out of their way to be helpful, especially Jason at the front desk. Very warm atmosphere with a thoughtful, healthy complimentary breakfast and killer oatmeal raisin cookies on offer in the evening.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Baconpaul
Flint, MIchigan
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed her for two nights during a trip through New England. We had exceptional service throughout our entire stay.

Prior to our stay I had to make adjustments to our itinerary. I wasn't able to receive the same rate online after changing the dates, so I called the hotel and the manager called me back right away to get things squared away for us.

Our room was beautiful and the bed was extremely comfortable. Everything was exceptionally clean. The breakfast in the morning was nice and provided enough choices to satisfy our appetite. All of the staff we encountered were extremely friendly from the front desk clerks to the breakfast wait staff.

Make sure to reserve time for the hot tub. Guests can reserve private time to use the hot tub which located downstairs near the gym. It was nice not to have to share the time with strangers. I also used the business center to print off some tickets we had purchased online.

We really enjoyed the small size of the hotel. It was conveniently located just a short drive from Portland. We were also able to explore areas further north without the heading of having to travel all the way back to Portland. It really had the feel of a bed and breakfast with added amenities.

An added bonus was that as Choice Rewards members we were able to receive points on our stay too! I highly recommend the hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vcf81
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Worst hotel experience of my life!
My husband and I along with my in-laws had planned a week long trip to Maine that included two night stay at this hotel. We booked our room 3 mts in advance through a third party but made a  change directly with the hotel a week in advance to arrive a day later and were assured there would be no problem.  When it came time to check in we were told they had no record of the change and since they failed to change the arrival date we were charged for the room and told it was booked to someone else. The hotel was sold out due to it being one of the busiest weekends. Holly, at the front desk said since there was no record there was nothing they could do. They pretty much put us out on the curb and sent us to the Hampton Inn in the town of Bath. I asked to speak to a supervisor about a refund I was told no one was available because the booking manager was out camping and  the GM was unavailable. Holly said someone can call me in five days. I was disappointed and we were inconveniencing our family because we only had one car rental for the week. My husband demanded to have the issue resolved and finally about an hour later Holly spoke to the clerk that changed our reservation in error back to the original date after I had made the change and was assured it would be no problem.  Since they verified it was their error they did pay for our stay at the Hampton Inn. We specifically planned Daniel Stone because it was unique to the area and unfortunately, that experience was taken from us. I will say that the Hampton Inn was wonderful and located on the river in the quaint town of Bath not far away. It was spotless and the service was wonderful. I would not recommend Daniel Stone, they seem to be very unorganized and lacking in customer service. They ruined what would have been a perfect trip. Had they researched the error from the beginning instead of Implying that I never called it would have saved a lot of heartache and stress.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank JenTorres
hospitalitymanager, General Manager at The Daniel, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your experience at the Captain Daniel Stone Inn. You stated “We specifically planned Daniel Stone because it was unique to the area,” and you are very true! I was shocked to hear that your experience was less than 100%. As you can see from our other reviews, we have very high remarks from our guests. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you and your family encountered with your reservation. We are truly sorry that there was confusion with your date of arrival. We always encourage our guests to book directly with us, not through a third party website. That way, if there are changes needed to be made to a reservation, they can easily be done by just calling us. We have used your situation as a learning experience for our staff to keep this circumstance from happening again.

Again, we regret that we did not provide you with the same superior service that we strive to give all our guests. I would invite you to call my office directly at (207) 862-8008 x 120, so that I can personally listen to your comments and review your concerns.

Brock Bradford, GM
Millburn, New Jersey
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

My family actually stayed here in June 2010 but the dates on trip advisor didn't go back that far. We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. It was very clean. The breakfast was fantastic. Highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Anna H
hospitalitymanager, Guest Relations Manager at The Daniel, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Thank you for thinking of us while on TripAdvisor! We appreciate that even after so long you still regard your stay with us so highly. We hope to see you again in the future!

Thank you.
Fort Pierce, Florida
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We just stayed here one night at the beginning of our travels through Maine. This is a beautiful old building with charming rooms. It has the feel of a B & B. We didn't eat dinner in the restaurant, but we did go down to the bar for a drink. The staff were all very cheery and eager to help with any of our needs. The breakfast was presented in a very elegant way and everything was fresh and tasty. Each room has a Keurig coffee maker. I would stay here again and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful comments! Our staff does strive to make each guest experience memorable and are eager to help. Our breakfast pastries and quiche are made on a daily basis, we are glad you enjoyed our breakfast. We hope to see on your next visit to Maine!
Thank you.
North Carolina
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The Hotel is in a covienent location and within walking distance to downtown. My room was very comfortable with nice linens, comfortable decorations, and even a terry cloth robe! I enjoyed the access to a Keurig in my room and the hotel had a very friendly and helpful staff. My bed was a little noisy, and I felt like the mattress may have been a little aged. Also the air conditioner made some unusual sounds, but I rarely used it since I was able to open my windows and enjoy the cool night air. The restaurant was really good, with lovely staff, a great breakfast, good bar, and delicious pizza. Overall, I felt like this was one of the best lodging options in Brunswick!

Room Tip: Avoid being near highway 1. Apparently you can hear all the sounds from the highway.