“excellent motel with a personal touch”

Americas Best Value Inn Brunswick
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Brunswick
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Brunswick Americas Best Value Inn - from the telephone booking and throughout our stay the owners, Anila and Hari, were attentive and eager to help. A 5 minute drive into the center of Brunswick, the motel is very clean and well-maintained, and though it is close to the main road the traffic was not a serious disturbance. The owners were able to answer all of our questions about the area, from bike shops to restaurants to summer festivals, and they offer a breakfast far superior to most motels, with fresh fruit and an assortment of cereals, breads and cakes. They take pride in offering excellent service with a personal touch.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Originally planned on staying in Portland, ME but drove the extra distance (heading north) to stay at this highly rated gem of a motel. Based on the brand and the price I wasn't expecting luxury. However, based on the reviews and Tripadvisor accolades, I was expecting a very clean, comfortable room. It was passable in terms of comfort. In terms of cleanliness it was disgusting. It was old, dirty, and smelly. Plain and simple. On the positive side, the in-room fridge was convenient, the wifi worked well, and the owners were pleasant (she got me extra pillows when I asked). I don't want to bash anybody, I simply want people to know the truth and have realistic expectations. I can't speak for the other rooms but ours definitely was not fresh, clean, immaculate, or any of the other adjectives used to describe it in other "user reviews."

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank lgeldart
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Close to Fort Popham and the excellent Cook's Lobster House on Bailey's Island. The innkeeper is knowledgeable and friendly and had great recommendations on where to go and what to see. Quiet place to stay, nice atmosphere, easy to stay. We'll be back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed 6 nights during summer and found the room to be spacious, clean, and quiet in spite of being near the road. The owners live on the property and take great pride in maintaining the property as well as serving guests. The breakfast is simple with fresh cut fruit. The mattresses were very comfortable, a nd the room spacious. The refrigerator was clean. A microwave is available in the office. I will make make this my home base for future trips.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2013

An older, dated motel building located on a busy road, but it was comfortable and clean. Internet worked very well, bed was comfortable, used the refrigerator for beverages, the morning breakfast was adequate with fresh fruit, good pastries and good (not great) coffee. No complaints. The owners are active in running and maintaining the property, take pride in running a nice inn and are very accommodating and pleasant. I would absolutely stay here again, and especially for the price. I had been treated poorly at two other area motels trying to find a room (bait and switch and price hiking) and was happy to find this one in a convenient location.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FlaMaine
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Is it the Hilton? No, but a great value for the money you pay. A clean room and a good night's sleep was what we expected and was what we received. In addition, a number of good restaurants and pubs awaited us nearby. In the morning, a simple but ample continental breakfast awaited us. If you are looking for good value - this is the place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Advisor0057
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed here on my own for 4 nights in April as my daughter was having surgery in Brunswick. This is neither a hidden gem, a great find nor an excellent motel. It is adequate, reasonably clean and weirdly located.

I am not a clean freak, but the sills and frames of the windows were filthy, the grout in the bathroom wasn't particularly clean, I never walked on the floor/rug barefoot and the pillows, shams and comforter smelled heavily of Fabreze. In fact, every night when I got back to the room, the entire thing reeked of whatever odor-masking cleaner they used. Then of course I would need to air out the room. The motel backs on woods and the windows were only 4' above ground level and so I never opened the window in the back unless I was there. The only thing you could open on the opposite wall was the door which opened on to the parking lot along which the highway ran. Airing out the room never seemed the safest option I had. And since with the curtains open, anyone passing by in the front or back could see into the room, I always had the roon darkening curtains drawn.

The continental breakfast was coffee in a paper cup with packaged dry creamer and sugar available. There was a pitcher of some perhaps frozen OJ in the fridge. I think cereal was available and prepackaged Honey Buns.

The owner or manager is indeed a nice man; that doesn't earn an excellent rating. I hate to give lousy reviews and have given this a 3 when I really think it should be a 2.5. But I was so surprised by the ratings it has that I felt I just had to report my experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank saipanlady
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brunswick
Travelers Inn
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Brunswick Freeport
Quality Suites
Quality Suites
#9 of 11 in Freeport

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Brunswick? Share your experiences!