“Good food, reasonable prices but typical American-style Mexican food”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Tucked away off the main thoroughfares - you would never know it was in town, but it's worth finding as its reasonable prices and quaint atmosphere are quite pleasant. They also have a bar. The food was good and they had some interesting selections, but it did not strike me as much different from the Americanized chain restaurants of the same type. We did not need to wait long for a table, and we were able to wait in the bar with a cocktail.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This place is an interesting little joint. I'd never really considered going, as it looks pretty sketchy from the outside. A group of friends and I decided to give it a try. It's interestingly lit and very small inside, but quiet comfortable. We all ordered something different. The food wasn't terrible, but I've definitely had better. It got pretty busy, so there must be something to the place, but it just wasn't for me. Sort of feels like they take their own twist on Mexican food, but I really like the authentic versions. A gentleman at the next table mentioned that he never 'orders off the menu' - that he has a special dish every time that he picks - he seemed like a regular, so maybe there is value in that.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I just had the best plate of Nachos - Ordered off the official menu and combining their nachos and carnitas with orange salsa and fabulous spicy pickled jalapenos. My husband kept going after my plate and ended up eating a good half of the generous portion AND his smoked chicken enchiladas. I love their Poblanos REllenos - not deep fried! Also good, the lemonade spritzer and ANY of the drinks. I enjoy the El Camino Margarita - very traditional, the "Horny Saint" and just about anything that comes from the hand of their talented bartender.

The wait staff is friendly and have been there a long time, as have the owners who brought the concept of locally interpreted Mexicali food. They use a lot of local and organic farms - when possible - it is Maine, after all.

Even better with every visit as the staff becomes more familiar and you know what's on the menu. Go early and expect a wait of 15 to 20 minutes on a Friday or Saturday. It's just that popular.

Funky decor and pretty family friendly. ALSO Gluten Free friendly.

1  Thank steph1
Reviewed February 28, 2013

If you're someone who has eaten Mexican food anywhere other than Maine, you won't find this very authentic. I miss the food trucks in CA and little hole-in-the-wall places in Mexico...was told this was as authentic as that...not so much. Needed tons of salt and it's expensive for what you get.
They have done a really great job with the interior, looks very Pulp Fiction! I think this place is best for a late night haunt at the bar, great chips and salsa. Bar was hopping when we were there!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I've been to El Camino several times over the last few years with a variety of dinner guests - some with hard to please food demands and its always been an incredible meal. The specials are on so enticing and creative that its easy to disregard the regular menu. Creative combinations, fresh food, served with a flair, what's not to like?

1  Thank Circumspect