“Ecclectic, but limited”
Review of Frontier Cafe

Frontier Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Frontier Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 106 Restaurants in Brunswick
Cuisines: American, Bar, International, Gastropub
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Freeport, Maine
“Ecclectic, but limited”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Have been there a lot, and considered it our favorite, but beginning to wonder lately.
The food is good and different but they have cut back the menu recently, so it's getting a little old. The service is usually excellent, but last time it was annoying to know more than our server.
Atmosphere is attractive, but noisy if busy.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank FanMan11
ExploreFrontier, Owner at Frontier Cafe, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent visit. Our menu is under going seasonal changes, so we're currently rolling out new Fall dishes. The challenge is maintaining our core and consistent offerings (those that our customers are always asking for) vs. adding new offerings (which in most cases needs to replace an existing dish). For every dish we replace, one customer may be happy about the new dish, while another is longing for the old dish. Our menu is ultimately a reflection of what our chef believes will most interest our community, coupled with what our customers are asking for and actually purchasing. On weekends we generally offer 3-4 additional specials, which allow us to always have something new/different on our menu for our regular customers. And it's a great opportunity to offer unique dishes. Just this past weekend we offered the following:

British Market Plate: UK Cave Aged Cheddar, Venison Blueberry Sausage, House Chutney and Potato Foccacia
Quesadilla: Grilled Chicken and Padron Peppers, Monterey and Cheddar Cheese served with Salsa and Sour Cream
Entrée: Lamb Vindaloo w/Basmati Rice and Grilled Nan

The week prior we added the following to our menu:

Haddock Sandwich: Rice flour battered fried "line-caught" haddock, romaine, and tomato served on a brioche bun with housemade tartar sauce
BBQ Pork Sandwich: All natural antibiotic free pulled pork, Frontier barbecue sauce, lettuce, tomato, crispy fried onions, served on a brioche bun with a choice of fries
Fall Roots: Red & gold roasted beets, Herbs de Provence goat Cheese, roasted red pepper, arugala, and balsamic on rosemary focaccia
Montreal Style Beef Brisket Sandwich: served hot with Oxbow grainy mustard, local sauerkraut, and Gruyere on a pretzel roll served with housemade potato chips
Small Plate Special: Moroccan Wild Boar Chops served with Harrissa yogurt sauce

We like to believe our menu is a balance between those dishes our community has come to rely on, while innovating seasonally and offering newly inspired dishes every week. We recognize this may not translate to every customer. Hopefully a future visit will keep you inspired and returning.

As for your recent server experience - any inadequacy here is completely our short-coming. Your comments will only help us to train our staff better.

As for the noise issues - since we opened 7 years ago, we have been in a near constant state of renovations. Most recently we added sound paneling to our theater. We've ordered additional material to begin sound proofing measures in the dining area. So we're on it. Please stay tuned as we will be adding soundproofing materials this Fall.

Thank you again for taking the time to help make Frontier better. With appreciation, Michael (Gil) Gilroy

Bath, Maine
“First visit”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We went to the Frontier cafe last night. A little hard to find unless you know we're you are going but well worth it. The staff were wonderful and our water was outstanding. My husband had steak and said is was very tasty. I had the Spanish plate a little disappointing could have more variety think tapas.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jacqueline E
South Australia, Australia
“"Picky Vegetarian "Loves" The Frontier Cafe"”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Well, .... the State of Maine is generally not known for healthy, ecclectic, progressive, interesting worldwide cuisine's. (I was born, and raised in Maine, so I have the right to say that!!). Most restaurant's do the same 'ole, same 'ole: lobsters, clams, steak, ect. When I'm home, in Maine, it's diffucult to find a restaurant that does vegetarian better then I do, so, I stay home to eat. But, a month ago a friend invited me to lunch at the Frontier Cafe. I was told they did vegetarian, so I went. The Frontier Cafe makes me more proud to be a resident of Brunswick, Maine!! Sooo many vegetarian/vegan choices!! (They also do carnivorous fare, using locally raised beef, and such). When you first walk into the Frontier, right accross from the hostess podium you'll see a window to the kitchen. You can watch, as the talented Chefs prepare the fare. The kitchen is spotless, and organized. The Chefs are professional, quick, and serious about their work. Their plate presentations make me smile!! So creative, and I love square plates! If your a tapas fan, you'll be pleased. Many choices. They have vegetarian/vegan, and gluten free choices for every course of a meal. I started with a "grilled" ceasar salad (very unique!), then a deep fried tempeh taco solo (tapa) which is both veg. and gluten free. The menu tells us: (G), (v). The falafel is gluten free!! My friend had a "blue mango veggie burger". He loved it, and said it was good enough to make him think about going vegetarian!! Next time I go, I'll try the "lime noodles with thai basil", both vegetarian, and gluten free. You know, anyone can cook ok, when your using lots of butter, cream, and fats. But it takes real talent, and creativity, to do what the Frontier Cafe staff does. The service was excellent! It shows, when people like their jobs. The Frontier Cafe also has a 80 seat theatre, with tables and menu service. The building is an old converted textile mill from the 1800's. Lots of history. The view out of the huge mill window's is phenominal!! The mighty Androscoggin River runs right by, maybe 40-50 feet away. They say the river is now clean enough to swim in, and salmon use to jump the rocks years ago. I'm looking forward to someday seeing that, as I dine at the Frontier. I didnt get to dessert, but plan to next time. Our waitress told me about a vegan cream brulee they had that day. I am ancious to try it next time. If you're into hot tea, like I am, try the "turmeric lemon", very unique, and medicinal. The Frontier Cafe also has a full bar with alcohol drinks as unique as their food. Thank You, Frontier Cafe, for choosing Brunswick, Maine for your home. Now, ..this picky vegeterian has a place to go, ...other then her own kitchen.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Mariette B
Newtown, PA
“Riverview Restaurant in Restored Mill Brunswick, Maine”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The best thing going for this restaurant is the location. It sits in an old restored mill on the banks of the Androscoggin River and the views are great. Parking is a little confusing as the lot out in front of the mill has most of the spots reserved for other businesses or restricts parking to one hour only. Apparently you are supposed to park in the lot behind the mill. We met some old friends there for dinner early on a Tuesday night. I had previewed the menu on-line and had my appetite set for their fish and chips. The first thing the waitress told us was that they didn't have fish and chips that night. What? They couldn't find any haddock in Maine!? She suggested the fish tacos which were prepared the same way as their signature fish and chips (rice flour coating) so I ordered that. They were OK but I've never had such spartan fish tacos. There were 3 blue corn tacos on the plate containing an ample amount of fried Pollock nuggets but the only accompaniment was shredded lettuce and a small shot glass sized serving of a sauce (chipotle mayonnaise?). The sauce was very good but the tacos were pretty dry and would have benefitted by a slaw, or guacamole, or onions, or something other than just lettuce. I also ordered a diet soda and they didn't have ANY diet sodas of any kind available. All they could offer me was unsweetened iced tea. So, my meal was just so-so. Two others in our party ordered the lobster rolls and LOVED them. They said the lobster was cooked perfectly and the dressing was good and it was served on a really good chewy roll and came with shoestring sweet potato fries on the side. But another friend was not satisfied with his chicken Caesar salad (I don't recall why). The waitress was nice and efficient. I will give this place another try again but based on this visit I can only rate it as average.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Highliner
Gainesville, Florida
“Fresh and Local”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Have been to Frontier a number of times and they never let me down. Fresh food served well in a great old building. The market plate is a great way to eat light but be satisfied. Also great to share. Had the Irish Stew and grilled Caesar salad today and it was some of the best food we have had in Maine. Great kids menu as well.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank stuckme
ExploreFrontier, Owner at Frontier Cafe, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
We appreciate your kind words. Thank you for your patronage and for taking the time to share your Frontier experience with our community. See you again soon.