“Good German American Food”

Richard's Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 106 Restaurants in Brunswick
Cuisines: American, German, European, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A true family run restaurant. Old world ambiance from the classic German favorites playing on the stereo overhead to the large collection of bier steins hanging on the walls. The professional wait staff work hard to ensure a 5 star experience. the incredible selection of imported wines and biers will refresh even the weariest traveler. You will sit down to our famous pretzels and rolls aside Richard's Own secret recipe mustard. The best of all the scrumptious flavors of authentic German recipes brought direct from Mannheim and traditional American classics. From Schnitzel, sausages and Sauerbraten to the finest steaks, seafood and soups, you will find something that appeals to you. OOOH! The desserts too. These will be the perfect finish to your meal, IF you left any room. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Bailey Island ME
“Good German American Food”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The menu is classic German and Classic American. Everything is very well prepared with few surprises. Service is lovely and the atmosphere lovely, linens and candles.

Visited February 2012

Louisville, Kentucky
“German Food - A nice switch from seafood”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This restaurant is downtown near the college (Bowdoin). There is a good selection of establishments on the strip. The owner is well-versed in german cuisine. The food is well prepared. We arrived 10/15, the end of the tourist season. Not sure what any other time would be like but given the small size of the restaurant, reservations would be advisable; we just happened to luck out. I would recommend the cabbage and noodles.

Visited October 2012
Camden, Maine
“Disappointment”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Three of us have enjoyed German- Austrian-Hungarian food in those countries and were really looking forward to a good revisit to those cuisines. But it was not to be. I suspect that the food at Richards is premade ethnic food and is not made from scratch in this kitchen. Sad that the food could not match the decor, which was authentic.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Carol W
Portland, Maine
“WUNDERBAR!”
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

So the title of my review isn't that original, so what? Richard's has always been consistently one of our favorite "go-to" restaurants and we never ever leave disappointed. They have an outstanding selection of beers - and I'm not even a beer drinker - and the "starter" pretzel with the most delicious (I am quite sure homemade) sharp mustard I've ever had is worth the price of admission alone. The menu is extensive and WUNDERBAR and here's a big outrageously delicious tip for you: THE CAESAR SALAD IS THE BEST CAESAR SALAD I'VE EVER HAD! It is remarkable with the most remarkable feature - besides the bargain price of $12 (it's for two people by the way) - is that it's made from scratch right in front of your eyes, the old fashioned way. I guarantee its the best you've ever had too, so don't miss it! Just please remember to be extra generous with your tip since it does require making it from scratch and the friendly and attentive staff always do such a great job, even if the place is jammed (which it usually is for good reason). Richard himself is usually there and a more warm and friendly guy is impossible to find, never mind his "jack of all trades, master of all" Tina who keeps the place running beautifully. Overall I simply can't say enough good never mind great things about Richard's, except of course that fantastic salad....

Central Florida
“Great German Food in Brunswick, ME”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

A quick review of Richard's. My wife and oldest daughter dropped in to Richard's recently, while in Brunswick for shopping. I had the small version of the Jägerschnitzel, which is a breaded pork tenderloin with mushroom - herb sauce. It was very good and reminded me of my trips to Germany. I chose the noodles and sauerkraut as my sides and they made the meal. My daughter had the Rueben and really enjoyed it. My wife had the pork tenderloin marsala and enjoyed it as well.

Our only complaint was, while the rolls were very good, soft, and flaky, they needed something more than a cold pat of butter to put on them. Maybe that's a little nit-picky though.

• Visited September 2012