“Cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in”

The Brunswick Hotel and Tavern
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Brunswick
GreenLeadersGold level
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have to say the hotel was immaculate! I was really impressed. The staff were very friendly and helpful, we stayed two days to use the old eastern railroad to Rockland, a real treat. We had live music one night which was very good, a shame we couldn't have stayed longer as we didn't get a proper look around Brunswick, what we saw was really nice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Gainesville, Georgia
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Spent a week here while visiting family. Normally we stay at the Daniel Stone Inn, but wanted to try this new property. One warning, despite the fact that their website and email reservation acknowledgement states that for special advance purchase rates, 50% of the rate for the total stay would be due up front ( for stays 2 nights or greater), I was charged100%. When I called to call their attention to their error I was treated rudely (by Tarja) & told I was in error. I pointed out that this was their policy as stated in writing & was still told I was in error, but that they would refund half the amount until check-in. They did...great. Everything after that (room, cleanliness, service) was great...except the lobby had removed its coffee service in the lobby a few minutes before we were ready to leave for the day. My husband went to the coffee urn in their restaurant to get a cup (as we'd seen other guests do) and was told that he couldn't have a cup, because it was for restaurant patrons (keep in mind we patronized the restaurant at least twice a day during our stay). He let it go, but the next time we went to the restaurant we asked our server who they guy was & she said she wasn't sure... She apologized profusely & confirmed that he was wrong.
Other than that, our stay was great. It's a great location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here with my family (2 adults and 2 children under 12) in June. We needed to catch an early morning train and couldn't beat the Inn for convenience. It is literally across the street from the Amtrak station.

We had dinner in the hotel's restaurant--kids fare was fine. The adults' dinners were ok--nothing to crow about. We would have liked to have tried some of the other cuisines in Brunswick--there's Thai, German, Chinese, Irish and countless other kinds of restaurants within walking distance of the Inn. The kids liked the ice cream stand just outside the hotel.

Our corner room was nicely appointed. Relatively new furnishings. Very clean--spotlessly so. Air conditioning works well and works silently. Bathroom is spacious.

Within a 5-minute walk from the hotel is a Hannfords supermarket. We stopped in early, before our train departure, to buy a few snacks for our long train ride. Again, very convenient.

All of that convenience of the hotel's location makes it a great choice in Brunswick. Now, if the train only ran on time . . . .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Briarcliff Manor, New York
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My son and I had a lovely stay at the Inn July, 2013. We were visiting colleges in the area and chose the Inn because of the location. The staff were friendly. Bathroom was quite large. Bed was super comfortable. Room was very clean. A really lovely stay. Would not hesitate to recommend.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Roberta B
Mamaroneck, New York
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We only stayed one night - checked in at 3 (an hour early) and out at noon. The hotel is immaculate as are the rooms. The bedding is divine. We took a king room and a double queen for my son and daughter to share. We were not worried about food, minibars, etc so I can't comment on that.

There is an attached restaurant and bar that seems to be open from early in the morning to late at night. After touring the town, we came back to the hotel and sat in the outdoor dining and had a refreshment. Our table was one of those with a built in fireplace and the seats were oversized rocking chairs. We were in heaven. My kids both had summer reading and they were so comfortable that they went up and got their books. They chose to stay there and eat dinner later while my husband and I went downtown for our dinner. Our kids report that the lobster mac and cheese was very tasty. We had an excellent breakfast the next day, so I think all in all the food is good - fresh and nicely prepared. Unlike other reviewers, we had VERY attentive service during all visits.

I did not price this vs. other options in Brunswick. The night before we stayed in a Comfort Inn in Waterville and I did not enjoy it. The downstairs smelled like chlorine from the indoor pool and the rooms were a bit shabby. The Inn at Brunswick is head and shoulders above a Comfort Inn and worth the price differential (for our family.)

There is also an outdoor porch that you can sit on and read and have a glass of wine while gazing out to maine street and the near corner of Bowdoin.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jean Marie S
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We spent the night at The Inn at Biltmore Station recently. In general, we were pleased with our accommodation. Our double queen room and adjoining bathroom was lovely, spacious and immaculate. The beds were very comfortable and had a good selection of pillows of various firmness. It would be nice if there were towel bars in the bathroom, however, as there is no place to hang damp towels. Not a huge issue but a bit annoying. A refrigerator and microwave, as found in less expensive chain motels, would certainly be a welcome addition.

We were rather amazed that the receptionist at the front desk was not familiar with the location of a much known local historic sight! The Joshua Chamberlain House is only a few doors away from the Inn! She was kind enough to look it up on the computer for us.

We ate both dinner and breakfast in the Tavern. I enjoyed the sea scallop with lobster risotto very much although there were only tiny pieces of lobster in the risotto. My husband ordered the fish and chips entree. Both items were over cooked to the extent that he only ate a portion of each. Breakfast was disappointing. My French toast was mediocre at best...and not accompanied by the wild Maine blueberries which are currently in season. Such a shame as Maine blueberries are the best! My husband wanted to order dry cereal but only 2 kinds were available (rather surprising in a hotel like this!). Our server did not refill our coffee cups nor check back to see if we wished more. There were only two others in the breakfast area at the time.

We would return to spend the night at this hotel again because of its convenience to local attractions. However, we would seek out meals elsewhere. Best suited for couples.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gijim
Paris, France
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stopped at this hotel on our way north, and we were pleasantly surprised. If you are visiting Bowdoin College, this is the place to stay: nice rooms with a big bed, good restaurant with some nice "Maine", local cuisine, and a quiet (even romantic) terrace to have a drink or even dinner.
The hotel has plenty of parking. We would suggest having a drink or a snack on the porch facing Noble Street, if you can. You feel you're in another age, relaxing and great for people watching.
We enjoyed our meal. I ordered the lobster dinner: perfect with a soft shell so not too messy. The lobster mashed potatoes are good, but our conclusion was why waste such good lobster. The service was attentive. Should we ever pass through Brunswick again, we wouldn't hesitate to stay at the "Inn" again.

Room Tip: Rooms are the second floor are better; avoid the rooms off the reception area if possible (adequate...