“Awesome--but too much salt”
Review of Trattoria Athena - MOVED

Trattoria Athena
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2013

LOVE this restaurant! At our first meal here, we ordered the fried artichokes and an octopus dish for appetizers. My husband loved the octopus and my fried artichokes were awesome---but too salty. The salads were fresh and crisp. My main meal of medallion pasta, local mushrooms & herbs was fabulous! My son and husband gave a thumbs up to their lamb chops and pork chops. The walnut cake with homemade coffee ice cream was ok; the ricotta cheesecake was amazing. Will definitely go back---but will ask for less salt.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Great atmosphere, superb waitress with a wonderful attitude, looks like fab wines listed on the chalkboard paired well with the menu- the concept is great but... the overall picture is only a three. Plates are small. You will have to order an appetizer (Got the green beans and shared- nice, crispy but way too salty) or a salad and eat the bread served with a nice fruity olive oil- because the entrée will not be enough to actually feed you. We ordered pasta coins (one meal) and beef skewer (the other meal) and neither of us was full or overly impressed. We should have each ordered an appetizer in order to feel sated. Good, presented beautifully but actually not enough food. Making things worse, the exhaust fan in the kitchen is not working correctly and I came home smelling like a greasy kitchen. The place is small so there is really no where for a poorly ventilated place to vent except where the diners are. Had to wash all the clothes including jackets. I would recommend they fix that issue and you try the place with the expectation you will spend $65 on appetizers and meals for two, drinks not included.

1  Thank westbrighton
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I love to eat. I have eaten around the world, and locally when visiting. I love Mediterranean food for its simplicity and richness in flavor. I live in Brooklyn NY where the variety of food and the quality is beyond compare. Therefore I was careful not to be too critical of this place, given how lucky I have been to eat what I eat in NYC. However, the chefs in the kitchen last night at Trattoria Athena seriously ODed on the salt. The sea salt air has gone to their hands! Normally, I love salty food. I would take a hunk of feta over a piece of cake any day, but everything we ordered last night was so over the top salty that I had a hard time getting it down, not to mention, recognizing any other flavors in each dish. I realize that one must salt eggplant to release the water content in the raw vegetable, and afterwards, I assume chefs do something to get rid of all that salt. In this case, I think I was served thin strips of eggplant COATED with salt. I couldn't eat it and I couldn't taste the rest of the ingredients. My artichoke hearts that were fried and served with a lemon dipping sauce sounded promising and were beautiful upon arrival at the table, but the batter was so salty as well as the dipping sauce, that I couldn't taste the artichoke and I barely deciphered that the dip had lemon in it until my companions told me so. This place was a disappointment, but I hope we were the only ones who felt that way last night. It's a gem of a place, the service was great and the chef obviously has good ideas, but the use of salt was very sophomoric when many more interesting flavors can be created with fresh herbs and spices.

1  Thank vabene25
Reviewed August 19, 2013

When we showed up on a rainy night with no reservations, I really expected to be turned away, but the lovely people at Trattoria Athena found us a place at the bar and we squeezed right in. Turns out, most of the people dining were headed to a play, so it cleared out quickly, but our seats at the bar worked out great - we got a little behind the scenes action, plus personal service. The food here is amazing - go with the Greek, go with the Italian, it doesn't matter. It's all fresh and wonderful. We tried some Greek wine on recommendation of our server, and it went really well with the food. I had lamb chops with grilled vegetables and lemon potatoes, and savored every bite! The salad was fresh and fantastic. The desserts didn't blow me away, but I was pretty stuffed at that point, so that may have had something to do with it! I will definitely go again, but next time I will make a reservation!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

First of all, you need reservations here. They have only about ten tables in this small restaurant which has two chefs – one Italian and the other Greek. After about four attempts to eat here (they were either closed or we didn’t have a reservation), we finally had a very nice dinner, and it is on our return list. We had excellent tzatziki and another dip made of roasted peppers with a little bite. They were both excellent on the grilled veal chops and vegetables. We also had a great zucchini rollatini. They are featured in a cookbook titled “Fresh from Maine” which features restaurants in the state who use local fresh ingredients as much as possible. We bought the cookbook, and the chefs signed it. They have opened another place around the corner on Maine St. called Enoteca Athena which focuses more on small plates and, of course, a big selection of wines. We haven’t tried it yet, but if the food is the same caliber as the trattoria, it should be great.