“Despite wide acclaim, we're disappointed.”
Review of Trattoria Athena - MOVED

Trattoria Athena
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We 3 couples came because we'd heard good things about it and the guest of honor was a Greek American big on Greek heritage. We all decided on the pricey prix fixe dinner to simplify ordering. The waitress advised us that for $5 each more we could drink bottomless house wine with dinner, which 3 of of opted for. Not a good option as we had to beg, repeatedly for refills, and apparently our waitress forgot her name, which was Miss, as far as we knew, regardless of how loudly we called to her, despite the restaurant being empty save for one other table. Suffice it to say we were less than impressed with the wine service and availability.

The food was good, the first course, a flakey pastry appetizer, was fine, the Caesar salad, which was basically romaine and onion, was terrible. I love personal interpretations of the classics, but when you call a salad Caesar, you don't try to reinvent it. The salad sucked.

The grape leaf wrapped cod was good, if bland, served plain with no accompaniment, which was a relief after all the onion in the salad. The brisket lasagne was tasty as well, except that there were six of us and we were only served 5 portions, cut into 5 pieces on the serving tray. Upon pointing this out to the waitress, what's her name?, she enquired of the cook, who told us that no, we were mistaken, and the 5 portions were meant to feed the six of us, and we should just cut one in two to make up the difference. We were all stunned by this info, having never been treated so cavalierly by a cook in absentia before.

The desert was fine, some sort of chocolate confection served in an overly large coffe cup, and the plunger coffee we were served with it in individual plungers was, well, plunger coffee

We were never offered an apology for the shortage of one portion of a main course, and to be honest, I don't think the waitress even realized that we had been shorted . For that matter, the service, from start to finish, was coffee shop level at best, which certainly didn't rise to the prices on the menu.

The room was a typical, old, New England building, having gone through numerous incarnations over it's long life, with pressed tin ceiling and warm wall colors. Our table appeared to have been wrought out of an old door, which might be charming in an informal environment, but at this price point just seemed a tad cheesey.

Food quality- 3

Environment -3

Service -1

on a scale of 5

PS- Our Greek friend was totally unimpressed with the quality or authenticity of the food.

1  Thank h0trudderedbum

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Went last evening with a group of five adults. We had a wonderful dinner. We enjoyed the fried artichokes, great and the calamari, the braised romaine salad and the broccoli sald every thing was exceptional. Our server Lauren was friendly, helpful and extremely acommodating. She went next door to get my wife a diet coke. The lamb rib special was done to perfection. We also had the risossoto was and the pasta was great. The bottle of wine was reasonably priced and was enjoyed by the three of us that embibed. It is a small cozy restaurant that would be a find in any city in our country, al be it a little quirky. A special place for a special evening. We also splurged for deserts, and the Greek coffee could not be better . Next time in Brunswick we will go again.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Trattoria Athena was the destination of my husband & I for our 1st Anniversary - we were VERY happy with our choice! From the quaint & cozy restaurant to the high quality food, we'll definitely be back! The only reason why we rated it 4 1/2 and not 5 star was my Chicken Caccatore - not as tomatoey as I'd expect and a tad over-salted....other than that, the food was excellent!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Very comfortable, friendly, great service and outstanding food & drink. Definitely will return. Need reservations. Areal gem.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Three friends an myself were vacationing in Maine and heard about place that had authentic Greek and Italian food, so we decided to go. When people said "small" they were not kidding, there are a hand full of tables almost on top of each other. Another thing that was odd to me was the age of most of the people in there, this is a college town and the majority of customers were much older people and an very few people our age.When we got our seats an started to order our food three of my guest ordered off the Italian part of the menu an I decided to be different and get Greek. Now I am no food expert but coming from a city where you can get any style of food your heart desires, I have been to a few places with REAL greek food. My food was extremely dry an to be honest flavorless, while the italian food was actually very good. I ended up sharing with my friend an had mine taken away. I was very disappointed since there was a lot of buzz about this place Thank goodness for their wine at least there was something to put some flavor in our mouths; which we ordered an Italian wine.I would be embarrassed to be the owners of this place an call myself true Greek, considering the only thing keeping people in that place is the Italian food. With our next trip to Maine we will be sure to try a place we all can enjoy an actually like to go back to.

2  Thank Michelle W