“Small Restaurants”

Byrnes Irish Pub II
Ranked #42 of 112 Restaurants in Brunswick
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Description: Second location of a favorite local watering hole with great beer and food!
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The food is very good and the service is excellent!. The town of Brunswick has so many good restaurants that the competition is keen. Byrnes' Irish Pub is located in Brunswick Station where the Downeaster Amtrak train arrives and departs, two round trips daily. Good location for restaurants with parking.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Patrick and Darren are amazing hosts! They instantly make you feel like you've walked into an old friends living room. The food is very good and the portion sizes are great! Try the Finn Salmon Sandwich, The Emerald Isle's salad or the Spinach Artichoke Quesadilla! Also, as a frequent visitor to the U.K. I can tell you the cheese plate is as close to a Plowman's lunch as you'll get in this part of the world. I encourage anyone to go there as well for their evening entertainment. It's so much fun! As I said, Joe Byrne's, his daughter Maggie at their Bath venue and his son Patrick in Brunswick make it fun and personal for everyone!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The food is comfort food, I love the cashamole and reuben. Live music on Friday nights is fun and so is trivia night on Wednesdays. For the Spring & Summer the outdoor seating is great. Great selection of beers on draft and whiskeys.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I've been to this place twice. The first time was right after it opened,not bad for bar and pub food.
I brought my two sons with me last night, it was a big letdown.
We started with the spinach and artichoke dip. I'm pretty sure it was frozen spinach with a chopped up artichoke with basically no cheese and tossed into a microwave. Very gross! One of my boys had the chicken quesadilla, which he liked. My other son and I had the bangers and mash, which I had after they opened on my last visit. The gravy is gelatinous and clearly mass produced and did not taste fresh. The mashed potatoes,sausage and cabbage were decent, not stellar. I think this place has potential but the food needs a revamp. Brunswick has some good food, just not at Bynes. If you are there thinking of walking in, go right,right to Scarlet Begonias for dinner and Bynes for drink after.

Patrick B, General Manager at Byrnes Irish Pub II, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Thank you for your comments. Feedback is always important! I'm glad your son enjoyed the Quesadilla. I'm sorry you did not enjoy our Artichoke dip or Bangers and Mash. I will follow up with our kitchen manager regarding the quality and ensure that these dishes are being prepared in the proper way. Thank you for visiting and I hope that you turn left and try us again. If you would like to discuss your visit with me personally you can reach me at (207) 729-9400. Thanks! -Pat Byrnes - General Manager

Reviewed April 3, 2013

While we didn't expect haute cuisine in a pub, Byrne's food is disappointing even for pub grub. We've had a very good Reuben at Byrne's in Bath, so bought a coupon deal and dropped in on a rainy Saturday afternoon in Brunswick.

When they didn't have my favorite draft, the barkeep offered me a small sample of a similar brew for a price. I was flabbergasted that she'd charge for the sip that most bars gladly offer for free, but she informed me, incorrectly, that it's unlawful to discount alcohol in Maine. I'd never heard such a thing but accepted it as house policy. Strangely, a little while later she graciously comped me the shot of beer sample.

By the time we had our second round, about the time the ho-hum burgers arrived, it was Happy Hour, so we were told. Surprise, surprise, our next beers would be discounted. Go figure.

When a father and 2 extremely young children sat down for a beer at the bar I asked what the house policy was on kids at the bar? It's a family restaurant, kids can sit where they please, was her response. That was it for us.

If you enjoy average food, bartenders that lie to your face and a Chucky Cheese like atmosphere, this place is for you.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your experience. Unfortunately it is a violation of Maine law to give away any alcohol for free. If other establishments choose to do this that is their risk, however we comply with the state's liquor laws. Discounting Beers for happy hour is allowed and that is why you beers were discounted.

We are a family owned restaurant and encourage families of all ages to stop in. Children are always welcome during the day to sit at the bar counter with their parents. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy this environment.