“Servers were rude and the menu description was misleading”
Review of The Lion's Pride - CLOSED

The Lion's Pride
Cuisines: American, Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Right off of route one, it is listed on the RateBeer website because of its excellent beer selection. Fairly new restaurant off of Route 1 in Brunswick, ME.
Orono, Maine
“Servers were rude and the menu description was misleading”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I had been to this bar before, and had a pleasant time with friends. I stopped yesterday for a quick drink, and my friend ordered a beer which was described as an imperial stout aged in scotch barrels with blueberries. It was a $12 pour.
He was served a black beer that smelled and tasted like balsamic vinegar. When the server asked us how we were doing, my friend mentioned that the beer was quite vinegary, and that he was not expecting that. The server snarkily replied "Well, it says nightmare in the name of the beer, doesn't it?" and walked away. No sympathy, no offer to add that the beer is sour to the menu, and no offer to pour a different beer. Seriously, I know what the markup is on the beer in a place like this, and it costs you very little to offer a different beer. Much less than losing two customers permanently, which is what happened.
If you have the determination to seek out rare beers regardless of the service you'll receive, then go ahead. If you want some helpfulness from the staff in choosing beer, go to Nocturnem in Bangor.

• Visited November 2012
4 Thank Joel M

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I would drive hours for the beer here”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I too admit, I wish the food was a better but it's fine. I actually really like the salads which are huge, and leave more room in my stomach for the beer. It's an amazing selection, and I find especially if you sit at the bar, they are really helpful about choosing one. But then again, they also do 4 ounce pours so really, go ahead and try more than one. Because chances are, you will never see these beers at tap anywhere else.

• Visited September 2012
East Providence, Rhode Island
“Pfft”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Food was poor. Bar and restrooms were dirty and it was extremely cold in the restaurant.

Beer very expensive and frou-frou. I am an enthusiastic beer aficionado and there were over thirty beers on tap but not one I had heard of. They seem obsessed with over wrought obscurity.

Nort knowing the beers I asked the bartender for his recommendation. I asked for an English style brown ale, bitter of pale ale. What I got was a 10oz pour of waloonian fruitiness.

Mussels were poor and the duck special was very expensive. Two dinners and three small beers cam to $75.00+.

Stay away.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank ilBruce
Maine
“Portions were large but the food was fair.”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Portions were large but the food was fair. Lots of designer beer but I would have been happier with Mich lite. It is hard to say if it is pub or a restaurant. The highlight was Lydia, our server. I will try somewhere else.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank sbj04769
in NJ
“Go for the beer”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

At least that is my guess, the food is not worth the trip, at least not what we had. And not being a beer drinker I need to be impressed by the food.
I had a salad with grilled peaches, chicken & goat cheese, it was interesting & the chicken was tender. It was a special & I believe 14.00. So far so good. My date had a lobster roll (after all it is Maine) with I believe they referred to them as frees (frites), remember this it will be important later. He was completely & utterly unimpressed with his 18.00 lobster roll. The majority of which was tough & chewy. And then the frees, why are they called frees, you might well ask because they are served FREEZING cold! Seriously a restaurant that can't get french fries, right?
To make up for the lackluster meal we opted for the blueberry cheesecake, do you diet? Well you know when you are desperate for something sweet and don't want to completely blow all your hardwork, so you just cut a sliver, yup that's what we got a sliver of dry cheesecake. And we paid 7.00 for the privilege. Come on now for 7.00 you need to serve a decent piece of fresh, not dried out cake, not one that you would reserve for the red-headed step-child.
In this case it's 2 strikes & you're out. We won't be returning there are far too many restaurants in the area, with better food.

• Visited September 2012