“I stayed at The Brunswick Inn when visiting Bowdoin with my son....”
Review of The Brunswick Inn

The Brunswick Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Brunswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I visited The Brunswick Inn in June, 2011. My son and I stayed here while visiting colleges in the northeast.

The positives were:
1. The hospitality by the inn-keepers
2. The breakfast was amazing
3. The location of the Inn

We stayed on the top floor (the attic, I believe) which was a great layout for us.....there were 2 rooms with a bathroom in between. However, the rooms were a bit musty smelling and in one of the rooms, there was a number of big windows/skylights and it was tough to get the room dark enough so the bright sunlight didn't wake us up when the sun comes up (very early in June!). I don't think the shades had been used in quite a while. I was a bit worried they wouldn't come down, and then in the morning, I wondered if I could get them back up again! Frankly, I think these two rooms and the bathroom could use some upgrading if the innkeepers plan on renting these out. The other rooms, at least the 2 I saw on the second floor, looked quite a bit more upscale.

In comparison to other B&B's we stayed in during our weeks of travel, The Brunswick Inn stood out in terms of the wonderful and warm hospitality and the delicious breakfast. But the other Inns we stayed in had more updated bathrooms and the bedrooms were much more upscale at the same price range.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank lovetogoonvacations
Eileen165, Owner at The Brunswick Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2011

Thank you for your feedback--you are right! We have been upgrading rooms since we bought the property in May 2009, and your room has not been done yet. We are planning on some new furnishings as well as new tile in the bathroom and new window treatments. It's a beautiful space, one that a frequent guest calls "the treehouse," but it will be more beautiful soon! We hope you'll come back.

Reviewed October 14, 2011

This was such a wonderfull experience. I was travelling on my own and my purpose was to find a quiet place after a very hectic summer. The Brunswick Inn is everything they advertise and more!
The staff was extremely helfull upon arrival: They let me check in before official check in time, upon minues of arrival, I already had a map with indications of what to do and where to eat around town and special discount tickets for a play! What more could I ask for.
My room was better than the picture advertised, and th bed really confy. I loved the decoration and the fact that although the Inn was pretty full, It was soooooo quiet.
The place is very clean, with many places to chill and read a book.
My only regret was not staying longer, I stayed only 2 nights. Oooh I forgot, the breakfast is amazing and they where very kind to accomodate to the fact that I don't eat eggs.

Room Tip: There are pictures of each room on its website
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Pretty, homely, clean and very comfortable. Eileen and all her staff were great hosts, really friendly and helpful. Breakfast was fantastic particularily the freshly made blueberry muffins and pancakes enjoyed by the open fire. Thank you everyone.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My wife and I are expecting our first child this coming November and thought we'd take a babymoon trip to Maine, a place where neither of us had ever been before. Brunswick was the perfect location for us between Portland, Bath, and Augusta. While the room (Room 3) was very cozy and relaxing, we found that the bed was a hard and springy, which led to a few aches the next morning. However, the breakfasts were very good and I loved how there was always a fresh pot of coffee, perfect to start our next adventure in Maine. Eileen was a very gracious host and we were even able to keep some of our leftovers in a small fridge near the main living room. Overall we enjoyed our stay, but next time we'd need a better mattress...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2011

My husband and I hosted a wedding rehearsal dinner for 28 at this lovely B&B in August. We booked it sight unseen based solely on the Brunswick Inn's website and conversations with the wonderful proprietess, Eileen. What a great evening! The layout for the cocktail hour was perfect with guests able to meander through indoor and outdoor spaces. The dinner was in a private area accommodating all 28 of us in an intimate setting. The food was delicious and the servers were great. Linda, our bartender for the night, was terrific. I would highly recommend the Brunswick Inn for your function. Eileen was super to work with!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 39Donna1949
Reviewed August 10, 2011

After spending several in Acadia NP, we meandered back down the coast and ended up in the lovely,small college town of Brunswick, ME. We checked in and were warmly welcomed by the Inn's owner who gave us a tour and showed us to our room.
We stayed in Room #14, a king on the second fl. of the Carriage House. The compact garden and backyard grounds of this lovely B & B were so beautiful, and warmly lite for evening along the drive and paths. Casual wildflowers blooming along front porch as well as a rock riverbed/flower garden with deck bridge/seating welcomed us to the Carriage House. So soothing and relaxing.
Our room was quiet and after changing we walked the town's lovely Main St and ate at Liliee's Publick House as it was Monday and most places closed by 9PM not many things were open. Had a great sandwich..
The Inn had several public rooms to relax in,in the Main house as well as the Carriage House. There also was a bar in the breakfast room used in the evenings and we were invited to join a post recital gathering in the Inn if we wanted to!
Next morning yummy breakfast was served and we chose to sit out on the porch and enjoy the Main St happenings of the weekly Framer's Mkt across the street in the town green. Walked of breakfast off touring around the campus of Bowdoin College, just a few blocks down the street. Just lovely!!

Room Tip: quiet rooms in Carriage House...several seating areas in Carriage House as well as WiFi..
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelingMomGA
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I want to thank both Barbara and Linda for making my stay at the Brunswick Inn a very positive one. I was visiting Maine as my daughter was attending a college soccer camp. The location of this B & B is perfect. As I drove around town I was so glad that I picked the Brunswick due to its proximity to everything. It does make a difference where you stay...I believe you get a great feel for a town/city by walking to restaurants, a college, stores etc. instead of driving. I would also recommend to go to their website to look at the different room options. Reasons I'll go back:

1. Location
2. Top notch hospitality
3. Comfortable bed
4. Great breakfast
5. Feels like a home away from home

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ASJ70
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brunswick
The Brunswick Hotel and Tavern
#5 of 11 in Brunswick
Fairfield Inn & Suites Brunswick Freeport
Best Western Plus Brunswick Bath
Residence Inn Bath Brunswick Area

Been to The Brunswick Inn? Share your experiences!