“Cool place to go on a hot or rainy day”

Bowdoin College Museum of Art
Ranked #1 of 29 things to do in Brunswick
More attraction details
Owner description: Bowdoin College's art museum houses some of the oldest works of art in America.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a small museum, good for an hour or two, which has an excellent summer 2013 collection showing in its main galleries. It also has a gallery with some beautiful Assyrian reliefs, and several others with ancient Roman and other cultural artifacts. So if you have people with historical interests but not artistic ones, they can still be entertained for awhile here. The building itself is beautiful too, as is the rest of this small campus. Fee is by donation.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I am not especially fond of art, but occasionally I do visit special exhibits with guests. It really would be an outstanding experience for real art fans. Top of the class in art!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stop at Bowdoin College Museum of Art if at all on our route when we are in Maine, whether or not we stay in Brunswick. This year the Prendergast by the Sea exhibit is wonderful. The man was certainly prolific, not only in the number of works, but in the number of brushstrokes in each work. I really wanted to visit the scenes he depicted. If you go, do not miss the little video if you like the time period he portrays. Mobs of people being filmed for a showing later. The clothing styles for men, women, and children are great. Also on exhibit Per Birkeby, an artistic geologist. Interesting. Staff friendly and helpful.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I can't say enough about the quality of the exhibit of Maurice Prendergast. Kudos to the curator and staff for putting together such a first class event. Reading the names of the loaning institutions read like a who's who of the USA's great museums. Beautiful gallery as well. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I didn't care for the art represented. I don't care for abstracts.
Also, I wasn't familiar with any of the artists' works.