“The best art collection north of Boston.”

Bowdoin College Museum of Art
Ranked #1 of 29 things to do in Brunswick
More attraction details
Owner description: Bowdoin College's art museum houses some of the oldest works of art in America.
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Incredibly varied and rich collection--wonderfully displayed.

Reviewed January 22, 2012

Sort of a strange collection when we were there but the building is really interesting and I know they have had some very special shows.

Reviewed January 18, 2012

This well-curated museum has first-class permanent and temporary exhibits.
What most impressed me was the Gilbert Stuart exhibit. I never appreciated his work until I saw the actual paintings. Fantastic.

Reviewed December 16, 2011

Having been to shows and the permanent collection before and after the expansion of the Museum, I can say it is one of my favorites in Maine. This summer they had a great Edward Hoper Show, I attended 3 times, beautifully and thoughtfully laid out. I applause the show's curator for keeping all the information tags about the art work subdued and away from the art, a small detail but focus stays on the art. The Permanent collection has some real gems, Gilbert Stuart portraits and the Ancient works. Well worth a visit!

Reviewed November 18, 2011

Do you only have an hour or so? Then stop by the Bowdoin College Museum of Art and wander through their collections. Especially interesting to me was the frieze on the second floor. Mesopotamian?? or something, it has a powerful presence. Famous alumni have been donating fantastic art to this college for years, and you never know what you are going to see next.