“I keep going back!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brooksville
Oakland House Cottages by the Side of the Sea
New Hampshire
“I keep going back!”
Reviewed December 5, 2007

I have gone to the Oakland House Seaside Resort for 7 years now. Hard to believe it's that many years. I have gone by myself, with my husband, with friends and also with family members. I have stayed in 8 of the cabins and 4 of the rooms. All are well maintained. I have gone for 2 nights up to 10 nights. I do enjoy the fire places in the cabins and in the Inn. Each and every time I have been there has been a very pleasurable and wonderful experience for me and whomever is with me. The setting is beautiful and peaceful. The cabins and rooms are comfortable and clean; I sleep so well there! I love to hear the loons, look for seals and watch the water. I have experienced only excellent service at the Oakland House Seaside Resort from the office, house keeping, maintenance, and food staff. I feel they are there to make my stay as wonderful as it can be. My trips can be full of activities or just total relaxing-reading. I usually take my kayak and/or road bike. Acadia is only an hour or so away and I always take a day to spend there. Near by Walker Pond has a beach that is open to guests from the resort and I usually swim there instead of the ocean-it's a little warmer...but I do make quick dips in the ocean. I was there during the Fairy Festival this past July and enjoyed watching many children and even adults engaged in the event. It is a wonderful place to experience.

• Liked — Many personal touches; a definate get-away.
  • Disliked — Packing up to go home.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank BooNewHampshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Danbury, NH
Reviewed December 4, 2007

My in-laws were visiting from New Zealand and we were travelling up the Maine coast with undetermined plans for destinations or places to stay. A friend informed us of this great seaside resort as we left home and during the second day we decided we would like to stay there. We called the day before and they were wonderful on the phone and very specific with directions since we were already on the road. We were able to make reservations for a cottage for two nights with our family. The staff were very polite and accomodating regarding our check-in time, that was unknown, because we were sightseeing up the coast during the day.

We thoroughly enjoyed the experience we were able to visit and relax without the daily grind of TV, etc. for entertainment. We did day trips from the resort to Arcadia, Bar Harbour, Blue hills, etc. The beds were comfortable and the cabins were very clean. We enjoyed reading the background of the resort and the family that runs the resort to feel part of their family as you are walking around. We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere as a base to do day trips along the Maine Coast or to just get away from the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank davenmiss
boston
Reviewed December 4, 2007

My wife and I loved the Oakland House. The food was great and the staff were really nice. Our cabin offered the privacy and quiet we wanted and it came stocked with firewood and gave us a place to retreat to and watch the water. It was exactly what we needed after all the craziness of the wedding. I would definitely recommend staying for the lobster bake on Thursday.

• Liked — Great views and very homey.
  • Disliked — There weren't many other great restaurants nearby.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank deserb
NH
Reviewed December 4, 2007

The Oakland House Resort is a great Maine coast get-a-way. The Inn and the cabins are unique, very comfortable and well maintained. The grounds are coastal Maine woods overlooking a beautiful bay. This is peaceful and private. I always feel like I could write a novel if I stayed long enough. There is lots to do in the area. The Oakland House staff and InnKeepers bend over backwards to accomodate our family. The gardens by the main house are beautiful and native. This is a classic Maine resort that is hard to find in today's travels. RIght down to the lobster picnics on the beach.

• Liked — Scenery
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed August 25, 2007

Just wanted to find a nice cabin with a clean kitchen and pleasant surroundings to use as a home base while we explored the beautiful Maine coast. Based on the web site, we chose Oak Grove cottage - arrived 11 p.m.and found indoor and outdoor lights on, very welcoming to weary travelers.

What a great place! Kitchen spotless, overall very clean, staff very friendly and cooperative. The beds were comfortable and the view over the Bay was phenomenal from the front window.

We hiked the trails on premises daily to see some spectualar sights of Deer Isle. Roughly a 35-40 minute drive to LL Bean outlet in Ellsworth and we made several trips to Acadia park.

Would definitely high recommend Oakland House cottages to people who dream of owning a cabin in Maine with beautiful views and good access to hiking trails

Stayed June 2006
1 Thank TravelmoreNewYork
Boston
Reviewed August 14, 2007

Our room was horrible - not what promised. Innkeeper was surly and off-putting. There are many beautiful places to stay on the Maine coast. This is not one of them. We are casual people and were looking for a pleasant, but not luxurious, place to enjoy the Maine experience. Our room was stuffy and dark - horrible, really. Find another place to stay.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank Marina38
Mattituck, New York
Reviewed July 25, 2007

We had an absolutely wonderful experience at the Oakland House and in the general area. It is a little off the beaten path, but was definitely worth the drive!

We stayed in the Shore Oaks Inn, which was gorgeous! We loved sitting on the porch in rocking chairs and watching the water, and listening to . .. well not much. It was just so peaceful.

It is a nice place to stay becuase you can visit nearby attractions, such as Acadia and Bar Harbor, as well as see "real" Maine towns and local life. Plus, you do not get the crowded resort feel at all.

The food was very good, and all of the staff was helpful and friendly. We plan to return without a doubt.

• Liked — The location, the tranquility, and the well mantained facilities
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Coupleoftravelers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brooksville
Acadia Inn
#5 of 10 in Ellsworth
Open Hearth Inn
Open Hearth Inn
#1 of 2 in Trenton

Been to Oakland House Cottages by the Side of the Sea? Share your experiences!