“Quite nice for a short stay”

The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Ernakulam
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I would say this hotel has more of a business feel although it is pleasant enough for those on a holiday. It has more of a 4-star than 5-star feel and lacks the charm of Taj hotels I have visited in India. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The food at the Bubbles restaurant was fine with variety but I did find it a bit souless. It would have been nice to have an outside eating area but the pool was nice. I also enjoyed the evening cruise.

Room Tip: Room facing the water would be best
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Jimshy, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for the Feedback and the positive ratings of facilities you have experienced.

We have introduced a roof top dining experience overlooking the ocean / harbour last week on request and is a prefered option for many guests as of now. Though it is on an introductory offer with limited menu, it is truly a delightful experience for many guests as you suggested.

We look forward to have you back with us shortly and we would be previleged to exceed your expectations..

There are newer reviews for The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I was in Ernakulam for a night out with the boys. I had a limtiation that I had to be in the city as some of my friends had trains/buses to catch the same night. I picked the gateway hotel. I drove into the hospital in my Maruti car not expecting anyone to pay any attention. I was pleasantly surprised when a valet boy came and took my car. Very pleasant check in with welcome drinks. Room was good with a view. The AC in the room was disappointing though as even when set at 16 degrees, the room was warm-ish. The restaurant was good and had a good breakfast buffet too. The bar was good except the staff. Funny story but when I ordered a drink, the waiter had no idea what I was talking about and I actually had to point it to him and after that he asked once again to show it on the menu so that he can copy down the spelling of the drink.
Will I come back here? Yes, of course! If I need to stay in the city, I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank drsam32

Dear Guest

Thank you for the feedback. We are glad that you had a comfortable checkin experience at the hotel.. and thank you for all the positive ratings of the experience.

We have discussed your feedback on Airconditioning and the experience at the Bar with the team. We strive to maintain high standards of product and service and feedback such as yours go a long way in helping us to meet the standards through continous improvement and we thank you for the feedback.

Look forward to have you with us in the near future.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I am very happy to put this feedback on my stay with "The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam ",moreover its my pleasure to say that i had a such a wonderful stay in that home.It was our second day after our marriage. From the time when we got checked-in ,we found a hospitality atmosphere there with a charming surrounding,and we had a nice sunset cruise.Apart from that when we reached back to our room,we both were astonished to see the turn-down service which was offered in our room.
Apart from that i am very glad to say about the overall dinning experience which we got in the bubbles restaurant,a special thanks to Mr.Aburaj,for such a superb way of service.In addition to that let me appreciate chef manoj and sous chef Sinu Vijayan who had showed us there culinary skills by delicious dinner.Wish to stay again.
Thanks with regards
Mathews

Room Tip: Sea view rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mathewspktm

Dear Mrs & Mr Mathews..

Thank you for the feedback. It is truly a delight to receive a wonderful feedback such as yours, We are very glad to have provided you with a memorable stay.

Have communicated your personal note of thanks to Aburaj, Chef Sinu and the team there on the overall experience at The Bubble cafe and rooms.

Thank you once again for staying with us and we shall certainly strive to further exceed your expectations on your next stay with us.

Look forward to have you back with us shortly..

Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for a day when on a business trip. The property is located on Marine Drive overlooking the sea. Most of the rooms have a sea view i guess since we had three rooms in different wings and all of them overlooked the sea. The rooms are slightly smaller by Gateway standards. Other facilities in the room are in line with other Gateway properties. Staff including restaurant staff is as usual extra courteous, cheerful and helpful. The hotel surprisingly doesn't have buffet dinner. We had dinner at the all day restaurant late at night which was good. The buffet breakfast spread was also very good. Overall the service was fairly good. I used the swimming pool which was decent except that I felt that the chlorine content was slightly higher since my eyes were burning. Overall a good business hotel and fairly priced.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and review of the hotel. We are indeed glad that we could touch you to the extent that you were encouraged enough to do such a wonderful review for us. We have also designed the unique list of activities that one can do here so that the visitors are encouraged to try the different aspects that the unique culture of Kerala and the destination offers. At the same time, one would not even realize how the vacations have breezed past them. Apart from Bubble we have the all new Pan Asian restaurant "Sian" which offers a unique oriental experience of Chinese, Japanese & Thai options.

Me & my team look forward to welcome you to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I have stayed here with my family thrice... Its situated in Marine Drive Kochi...Nothing much to say ..Rooms are ok, not very Spartacus but all rooms have got sea view and with LCD DVD and surround music system but we dint use all those .. A good business hotel, Food not bad, would rate 4 out of 5... Took my kids to the pool and i was holding my 1 year old baby and my 4 year old son accidentally fell into the pool and the guard saved him in few seconds,,, was really shocked... thanks man, i forgot his name...

Breakfast spread was ok , ...Bubble restaurant is nice, liked it.

Room Tip: Sea facing room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your lovely review and for taking the time to share your experience with Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to know that you had a wonderful stay. I am also delighted to read that you found our team very friendly and helpful & representing the true Taj culture . Please do come back to stay with us the next time in Kochi, we will love to see you again and help you to create some unforgettable memories.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights on this property.
well situated on the marina in Ernakulum, with good access to the walkway.
Good secure parking, efficient check-in and out, super room, with ' tan-quality' cleanliness and appointment. a very good dining experience, both the buffet and the a la carte. There were comments on the net about their breakfast arrangements, but we found that we could clarify what plan we were on and everything went smoothly.
the complementary harbour cruise was a bonus
just two comments, not critical... no free wifi, like in most business hotels these days, and the taxi supplied by the hotel was a bit steep.

Room Tip: ask for a sea facing room
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Guest

I am very happy to know that you had a wonderful stay. I am also delighted to read that you very much enjoyed your boat cruise experience. Please do come back to stay with us the next time in Kochi, we will love to see you again and help you to create some unforgettable memories.

Me & my team await to welcome you back at the Gateway Ernakulam.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

It's a nice cozy hotel situated at the start of Marine Drive (South). We were travelling from Palakkad to Alleppey and using Ernakullam as a pitstop before our House Boat ride at Alleppey the next day. Unfortunately, we were visiting on the same day as the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh therefore access to the hotel was blocked until 5:30pm later that day. Security protocols had restricted access to all neighboring blocks. Check-in was simple and quick however please read the note below for SAARC Citizens. Once we got to the room we were disappointed as the bed sheets were pilled. We had Dinner and Breakfast buffet both of which were great however lacked in variety for the class of hotel we were in. I would say it's a great Business Hotel.

Please Note: All SAARC Citizens must carry their passport at all times. Hotel staff require your passport copy, visa copy and entry stamp to be submitted to the local authorities. Beware, if you're VISA states entry/exit Cochin than you must stay within Cochin itself.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your feedback and review of the hotel. We are indeed glad that we could touch you to the extent that you were encouraged enough to do such a wonderful review for us.We take our guest comments positively as it gives us a feedback were to improve. We understand the feedback mentioned by you must have been annoying. We assure you that we will definitely resolve the issues mentioned by you. I thank you for your patronage with the Taj Hotels & Palaces

We look forward to welcome you to the resort very soon.

Sumit Nayar

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ernakulam
Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
#7 of 211 in Kochi (Cochin)
Trident, Cochin
Trident, Cochin
#16 of 211 in Kochi (Cochin)
Kochi Marriott Hotel
#4 of 30 in Ernakulam
Radisson Blu Kochi
Radisson Blu Kochi
#5 of 30 in Ernakulam

Been to The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam? Share your experiences!