““Well, sometimes hotel is a person.””

The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Ernakulam
Kottayam, India
““Well, sometimes hotel is a person.””
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I am very happy to put this feedback on my stay with "The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam ",moreover its my pleasure to say that i had a such a wonderful stay in that home.It was our second day after our marriage. From the time when we got checked-in ,we found a hospitality atmosphere there with a charming surrounding,and we had a nice sunset cruise.Apart from that when we reached back to our room,we both were astonished to see the turn-down service which was offered in our room.
Apart from that i am very glad to say about the overall dinning experience which we got in the bubbles restaurant,a special thanks to Mr.Aburaj,for such a superb way of service.In addition to that let me appreciate chef manoj and sous chef Sinu Vijayan who had showed us there culinary skills by delicious dinner.Wish to stay again.
Thanks with regards
Mathews

Room Tip: Sea view rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mathewspktm
Jimshy, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear Mrs & Mr Mathews..

Thank you for the feedback. It is truly a delight to receive a wonderful feedback such as yours, We are very glad to have provided you with a memorable stay.

Have communicated your personal note of thanks to Aburaj, Chef Sinu and the team there on the overall experience at The Bubble cafe and rooms.

Thank you once again for staying with us and we shall certainly strive to further exceed your expectations on your next stay with us.

Look forward to have you back with us shortly..

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for a day when on a business trip. The property is located on Marine Drive overlooking the sea. Most of the rooms have a sea view i guess since we had three rooms in different wings and all of them overlooked the sea. The rooms are slightly smaller by Gateway standards. Other facilities in the room are in line with other Gateway properties. Staff including restaurant staff is as usual extra courteous, cheerful and helpful. The hotel surprisingly doesn't have buffet dinner. We had dinner at the all day restaurant late at night which was good. The buffet breakfast spread was also very good. Overall the service was fairly good. I used the swimming pool which was decent except that I felt that the chlorine content was slightly higher since my eyes were burning. Overall a good business hotel and fairly priced.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and review of the hotel. We are indeed glad that we could touch you to the extent that you were encouraged enough to do such a wonderful review for us. We have also designed the unique list of activities that one can do here so that the visitors are encouraged to try the different aspects that the unique culture of Kerala and the destination offers. At the same time, one would not even realize how the vacations have breezed past them. Apart from Bubble we have the all new Pan Asian restaurant "Sian" which offers a unique oriental experience of Chinese, Japanese & Thai options.

Me & my team look forward to welcome you to the hotel very soon.

Kozhikode, India
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I have stayed here with my family thrice... Its situated in Marine Drive Kochi...Nothing much to say ..Rooms are ok, not very Spartacus but all rooms have got sea view and with LCD DVD and surround music system but we dint use all those .. A good business hotel, Food not bad, would rate 4 out of 5... Took my kids to the pool and i was holding my 1 year old baby and my 4 year old son accidentally fell into the pool and the guard saved him in few seconds,,, was really shocked... thanks man, i forgot his name...

Breakfast spread was ok , ...Bubble restaurant is nice, liked it.

Room Tip: Sea facing room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your lovely review and for taking the time to share your experience with Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to know that you had a wonderful stay. I am also delighted to read that you found our team very friendly and helpful & representing the true Taj culture . Please do come back to stay with us the next time in Kochi, we will love to see you again and help you to create some unforgettable memories.

Pune, India
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights on this property.
well situated on the marina in Ernakulum, with good access to the walkway.
Good secure parking, efficient check-in and out, super room, with ' tan-quality' cleanliness and appointment. a very good dining experience, both the buffet and the a la carte. There were comments on the net about their breakfast arrangements, but we found that we could clarify what plan we were on and everything went smoothly.
the complementary harbour cruise was a bonus
just two comments, not critical... no free wifi, like in most business hotels these days, and the taxi supplied by the hotel was a bit steep.

Room Tip: ask for a sea facing room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Guest

I am very happy to know that you had a wonderful stay. I am also delighted to read that you very much enjoyed your boat cruise experience. Please do come back to stay with us the next time in Kochi, we will love to see you again and help you to create some unforgettable memories.

Me & my team await to welcome you back at the Gateway Ernakulam.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 22, 2014

It's a nice cozy hotel situated at the start of Marine Drive (South). We were travelling from Palakkad to Alleppey and using Ernakullam as a pitstop before our House Boat ride at Alleppey the next day. Unfortunately, we were visiting on the same day as the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh therefore access to the hotel was blocked until 5:30pm later that day. Security protocols had restricted access to all neighboring blocks. Check-in was simple and quick however please read the note below for SAARC Citizens. Once we got to the room we were disappointed as the bed sheets were pilled. We had Dinner and Breakfast buffet both of which were great however lacked in variety for the class of hotel we were in. I would say it's a great Business Hotel.

Please Note: All SAARC Citizens must carry their passport at all times. Hotel staff require your passport copy, visa copy and entry stamp to be submitted to the local authorities. Beware, if you're VISA states entry/exit Cochin than you must stay within Cochin itself.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your feedback and review of the hotel. We are indeed glad that we could touch you to the extent that you were encouraged enough to do such a wonderful review for us.We take our guest comments positively as it gives us a feedback were to improve. We understand the feedback mentioned by you must have been annoying. We assure you that we will definitely resolve the issues mentioned by you. I thank you for your patronage with the Taj Hotels & Palaces

We look forward to welcome you to the resort very soon.

Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Decided to experience the 'delights' of a Taj group hotel. On arriving the welcome greeting was adequate. However, I had booked online and the duty manger requested that the hotel have a hard copy of my booking. I showed him my receipt on the iPad but this was not good enough. I a Therefore had to pay him 600 rps to access the hotels WiFi so I could send the hotel an email for them to print off!
Buffet lunch was good but again the service levels were far below what I would have expected. We waited a full twenty minutes before being attended to to see the menu and this was only after getting up and requesting it.
The shower showed staining (picture attached)
Upon checking out the receptionist billed me for mini bar which I had not used - how often , I wonder, does this happen and the guest does it even check the bill.
This hotel is obviously a business mans hotel and no care is taken to ordinary guest. At neary £100 a night I do it think this is good value.

Room Tip: Facing ringer side
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr Willians

We would like to thank you for your Tripadvisor review,

We apologies for the inconvenience you have faced during your stay at Gateway Hotel Ernakulam we will have our team look into this and have this resolved. We understand the feedback mentioned by you must have been annoying. We assure you that we will definitely resolve the issues mentioned by you. We take our guest comments positively as it gives us a feedback were to improve. I thank you for your patronage with the Taj Hotels & Palaces.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon at Gateway Ernakulam.

New Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed for 2 nights at the hotel. Hotel is located at marine drive in kochi. Hotel's back gate opens into the marine drive. All rooms are river/ sea facing. The service was good. Had a decent gym, an average pool and a good restraunt

• Stayed January 2014
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on the Trip Advisor, it is a pleasure to read your review, your comments in full will certainly be distributed at all levels .We take our guest comments positively as it gives us a feedback were to improve. I once again thank you for your patronage with the Taj Hotels & Palaces.

Me & my team wish to welcome you back at the Gateway Ernakulam.

Sumit Nayar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ernakulam
Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
#7 of 208 in Kochi (Cochin)
Kochi Marriott Hotel
Holiday Inn Cochin
#2 of 30 in Ernakulam
Fragrant Nature Kochi
Fragrant Nature Kochi
#1 of 208 in Kochi (Cochin)
Radisson Blu Kochi
Radisson Blu Kochi
#5 of 30 in Ernakulam

Been to The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam? Share your experiences!