Golden Lion Hotel & Restaurant
Brownsover Hall Hotel(Rugby)(Great Value!)
$120
Orbitz.com
$99
$88
$69
Travelocity
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe pubfour postercountry hotelcentral heatinglovely atmospherepiequiet locationscallopslarge bathroombooked this hotelwould definitely stay here againno hesitationevening mealfull englishlovely hotelsunday lunchgood nights sleep
Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

I arrived on Sunday eve, and was met promptly and shown to my room, which turned out to be spacious, clean, and very comfortable, with a very clean large bathroom, with a "proper" bath.
The bed was large and comfortable, soft duvet and pillows.
I ate in the restaurant and the sirloin steak was superb, absolutely melt in the mouth with lightly battered onion rings.
The second eve I had the pan fried hake with lumpfish sauce, a real revelation. Delicious.
The hosts/staff were marvellous and friendly very courteous.
I had full breakfast two mornings and it was great.
My only niggle( there's always one) and its minor in the scheme of things. The tv in my room was temperamental, with two controls, one for the tv and one for the digi box, both had backs missing so the batteries kept falling out, and the picture was poor and kept cutting out.
But the bar and company was very welcoming so watching tv was not a priority, but updated TVs would be welcome.
I stay in many hotels, and this is one of the nicest I have been in.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank RayKP
EllyRat, Guest Relations Manager at Golden Lion Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Thanks Ray for your positive feedback. You were right to point out your niggle with the TV and I have passed this on to the owner.

Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

I stay at the golden lion a couple of times a month for work and its become one of my favourite places to stay, the staff really make you feel at home and are very friendly, the rooms comfortable and the food great. My only criticism would be that the towels are very small, but that's nit picking, it's a great little hotel and worth going off the beaten track for

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank NatalieH62

Thanks for your feedback Natalie, we want all our guests to be as comfortable as possible whether they are staying with us for business or on a romantic weekend away. Please ask at reception if you need anything and we will always try to accommodate.

Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

We telephoned ahead of our visit to see if they had a table for four people for lunch, we were told they "weren't busy" and to come down.
Surprised to find a wedding reception party just arriving at the same time - surely this constitutes busy?
Waited 15 minutes to be served, nothing so ordered from the bar. Starters were ok but the mains awful - the 'special' burger could have come from Iceland & the Hunters Chicken was an over cooked chicken breast smothered in shop bought BBQ sauce. £80 for 2 courses each - not value for money. Makes the Harvester look a fine diving establishment! Avoid.....

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank EJS1975
EllyRat, Guest Relations Manager at Golden Lion Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

I would like to thank you for bringing this mater to our attention as we value all customer feedback. I am sorry that the food and service your party of four received on this occasion did not meet your expectations. But I am confident that should you choose to dine with us in the future it will be to the high standard you expect.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

A lovely hotel with clean, well appointed rooms. The Management and staff were very welcoming and friendly and the food and wine is very good. We had a great set of adjoining rooms and will definitely be back.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Chris M

Thanks for your feedback Chris, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We visited this restaurant with family members celebrating their wedding anniversary and we all enjoyed excellent food and hospitality at this lovely country pub. The choice and variety of food on the menu was exceptional and I had difficulty in making a decision in what to eat as there were so many dishes that I would have liked to sample. I shared a seafood platter with my wife for starters which was delicious and then had scallops, black pudding and bacon salad for the main course. Gorgeous! It was difficult to fit any more food in but I managed to share a cheeseboard to finish off with.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank emirac

Great to hear that you enjoyed your meal. You are making me hungry listing all those menu items. There is always room for cheese!