“Pavo Real a real Turkey”

Pavo Real by the Sea
Reserve with OpenTable
Pavo Real by the Sea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Caribbean, French, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Pavo Real by the Sea is an intimate, magical restaurant at the edge of the best beach in the world. You will come for the gorgeous view, you will come back for the incredible food prepared by Chef Alfonso Gonzalez and the attentive service and excellent wine list. Enjoy cocktails in the open-air bar at the edge of the beach, then choose a table in the garden or in the cozy salon decorated with original art, sit back and let us serve you a meal you won't be able to forget. The menu includes fresh foie gras, local fish and seafood, rack of lamb, beef tenderloin, bouillabaisse...And more. For a really special occasion, reserve a private romantic dinner on the beach. We look forward to your visit.
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Having read the other reviews, maybe we hit on a bad night.
Great setting! Must have a drink outside overlooking the beach. The restaurant is lovely. The food selections unique (NOT KID FRIENDLY THOUGH). Prices are high, Diner for two with a bottle of wine over $250. We had the waiters recommendations, the tuna and the stuffed squid. The tuna had the texture of being frozen, not fresh and it was overcooked. The stuffed squid was not fresh either. One squid was not edible, tasted bad You know what I mean if you ever had a bad clam/oyster. If the food was quality that night was up to the price point then the review would be favorable, but is just was not their that night. The restaurant offered free transportation from our resort, very nice. We did return back to the resort with another party and asked them about their meal. The ones who ordered the Tuna were disappointed as well, same comments. No one in the other party had the squid.

maromero, Owner at Pavo Real by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Thank you for your visit to our restaurant and your comments. All suggestions are welcome in helping us make it the best in the Riviera Maya. We have talked with our chef and we know that he and our hostess visited your table as is their custom, and you told them about the tuna but didn't mention any other concern. We are very sorry that the dishes you chose didn't meet your expectations, and we are gratified that you enjoyed our beautiful setting and personalized service. We would love to have the opportunity to get a five-star review from you on your next visit. We created and operated Maroma Hotel and now with our family we are creating a new handmade hotel to accompany our restaurant, and your input is much appreciated.
NOTE: Our prices are average for a fine-dining restaurant and we have a very nice selection of good wines, many at moderate prices. A couple can enjoy a wonderful dinner and a bottle of wine without breaking the bank.
Sally Shaw Moreno, Owner

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We came here for our anniversary dinner. I made the mistake of not specifically requesting an outdoor table, but we ended up with one when someone cancelled. This restaurant is almost worth it for the views and intimate setting alone. Service was very slow, but it appeared to be an oversight on the waiter's part. I had surf and turf. It's almost unfair for me to rate the beef coming from Chicago, but I would rate it as average. The lobster was HUGE and seasoned well (although I thought I tasted some Lawry's, LOL). The price was reasonable, and the lobster was much more than I would have expected. My wife got the lobster and loved it. The waiter brought us a complimentary dessert for our anniversary which was very nice. Including tip, I paid just shy of $200 USD which included two mixed drinks, two appetizers, and a glass of wine. It was worth the money and we both enjoyed the experience. I would definitely come back, but would come a little earlier so we could thoroughly enjoy the view of the beach and leave around sunset.

The restaurant also provided free transportation to and from our hotel which was a nice touch.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We are staying at the El Dorado Maroma ( I'll be writing a review of it when we get home) and wanted to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary with a nice dinner. We are from the San Francisco Bay Area and my husband was in the wine business for several years and frankly, we are spoiled! Our hotel recommended the Blue Lobster, but i suspected it would be...well, similar to our hotel. So when I came across the Pavo Real, we knew we had to try it. Everything was expertly prepared, fresh and delicious. Two surprises of the evening: they had a Mexican wine by the glass - a Cabernet Sauvingon with some Cab Franc and Temptanillo - we were shocked at how good ot was. Seriously! No, really! Oh, just try it. <hung head>. Okay, I admit we are a teensy bit snobby, but nothing makes us happier than finding something so unexpected. The other surprise: this place is a small hotel! The manager, Etienne, showed us one of the rooms and it was exactly the kind of place we'd love to stay - unlike the big hotels, it has distunct Mexican character, with beautiful tile work (many of the tiles from Puebla). The rooms are spotless and gorgeous. Hm. But this is a review of the restaurant, right? I'll have to do a separate review of the hotel, I guess. On the other hand, do I really want this spectacular secret to get out? We would definitely want to stay here if we came back...what a quandry!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

If you are in the Playa del Carmen area, you must visit Pavo Real. This is my favorite restaurant anywhere in the world! I have eaten there with friends and family every time I have been in Mexico in the last few years, and it is absolutely superb. The food is incomparable, and the service is unbelievable. The beachfront setting is so beautiful, and the restaurant is very intimate (only five tables). Because the trip to the restaurant takes you through the Mayan Riviera jungle and is not easily found, Etienne (the manager) will pick you up at your resort and take you home after your evening. You will not experience any more personal dining experience anywhere. Even if the cost of an evening at Pavo were outrageously expensive, it would be worth every dollar or peso; amazingly, however, the cost of dinner at Pavo is very competitive with other good restaurants in Playa del Carmen. You will never forget your evening at Pavo Real, and you really must enjoy the finest service and food Mexico has to offer.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Concierge recommended this restaurant on the ocean. Loved the personal pick up and drop off, but the view and setting was spectacular. Food was fantastic. My evening was set when I found foie GRAS on the menu. My husband enjoyed the salad. I like to try something I would not make myself, so I had the marinated octopus. Done like a beef burgundy, the octopus was marinated in red wine and was very tender and rich. Grouper was perfectly cooked. Fabulous ambiance here. Must go to see this beachfront beauty in the jungle.