As seasoned travelers of all inclusives, I feel compelled to write my first review on this resort. We have spent the last 10+ years 2-3 times a year traveling to the Caribbean to all inclusive resorts. We have stayed at 6 golden apples and 3 apples in the same year. We book the best deal at the
time we wish to travel.
This was our most pleasant trip for all the right reasons. The resort itself is a great size, not too big, not too small. The beach is absolutely gorgeous! It is clean with powder soft sand and clear turquoise waters. Some days were calm and others had great waves for body surfing. The beach service for drinks by Enrique was awesome and never have we met an employee at any resort with as much enthusiasm for his job! It was inspiring!
The room we were assigned was not one of the newly renovated ones, but it was very nice anyway. It had a king size bed with an awesome mattress and the linens were so soft. The pillows were also perfect. This was the most comfortable room we have ever had at a resort. The AC was plenty cold, and the hot water plentiful. We had no water pressure issues at all. It was cleaned to perfection every day.
The food was again well beyond our expectations. Although we have been to other all inclusives with more variety, NONE compare to the quality of the food served at Catalonia. The daily presentation was superb. The specialty restaurants were also very good and rank at the top. The only complaint I would have is that the service at these specialty restaurants was quite slow. However, the service at the Buffet each and every day every time we were there was beyond outstanding.
We spent so much time outdoors swimming, sunning, and walking we did not see any of the shows at this resort, but I did hear they were good.
The front desk is another area where I believe this resort shines. Any time we approached for any reason we were handled quickly and easily. From check in to check out we were assisted at every turn quickly and efficiently.
The pool is beautiful and clean, the towel hut it easily accessible. Not having towel cards is nice.
The walkway from the front lobby/buffet area to the beach is very nice. It is well lit, paved and has beautiful music piped in. You have the opportunity to see some wonderful animals and birds, and a beautiful relaxing walk. There are benches for relaxing and it is truly quite pleasant. We did not mind it at all.
All in all, we found this resort to be the best hidden gem in the Caribbean, and especially in Mexico. Don't let the ratings fool you, read the reviews which are nearly all positive and visit this resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Playa Maroma is situated in the Mayan Riviera, at only 35 kilometers south of Cancun and 20 kilometers north of Playa del Carmen. Regarding to the Travel Channel, Playa Maroma is one of the most beautiful beaches of the world. The typical Mexican decoration with its vibrant colors and palapa roofs surrounded by the native jungle make this resort the perfect place to spend a wonderful vacation. The Mayan World has to offer a lot to its visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Catalonia Playa Maroma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Del Carmen
- Playa Maroma