“It was paradise!”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“It was paradise!”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

The entire trip was pretty amazing. Everything went smoothly which is very rare for these kinds of trips. I've read extensively on trip advisor about this place so after booking, I kind of became kind of concerned and decided to get trip insurance so just incase, I could get my money back and just go to another hotel. But everything was absolutely perfect.

WORKERS: We arrived around 2:30-3pm which was perfect time for check- in. We were in building 5 and privileged. (everything was booked through orbitz and privileged wasn't an option but price was only 20$ more than not privileged) and everyone that worked there are very very fantastic. They are all so polite and gracious. Our luggage were brought to us and carried to the third floor. They actually forgot to bring my boyfriend's luggage so the same guy walked back to the lobby (which is quite a walk from building 5 but was closer to the beach and pool and restaurants) and brought our luggage back to us. He was very nice. I speak some Spanish and I got to talking to a lot of the workers and a lot of them especially the hostess speak perfect english. The hostess from Terrace was my favorite. She grew up in Atlanta and such a nice and accommodating girl. Everyone, the cleaning ladies, the gardeners, the waiters, hostess. SO NICE!

ROOM: The room was fabulous. We were on the third floor but no view, which is ok. The room was great. There was a balcony for some reading, or have some beer and just hang out before heading out. The bed was very comfortable. They have a pillow menu and they were very quick and accommodating. The cleaning ladies were very good. They cleaned the rooms twice a day. They required everyone to put anything valuable in the safe and allowed utilization of the safe for free. They were pretty adamant about that and said that if the ladies came in and found valuables laying around they will not clean your room but it was a very nice and safe thing to have the safe. The bathroom was clean and very modern and chic. They even left water bottles to brush your teeth with which was very nice. Clean towels, new toiletries provided, and clean sheets daily. The fridge was continuously stocked with water, beer, coke and diet coke. That was very nice too!

FOOD: The food varied. The buffet was very underwhelming. I've done these all-inclusive thing in a couple countries and theirs was lacking and small. However, they do offer dinner at 4 restaurants. You are allowed to choose 2 of the three (Mexican, Steakhouse and Italian) for free and we chose Steakhouse and Mexican and they were stellar. And they also have the Terrace which was this balcony restaurant with a view of the ocean and that place was amazing. I suggest you get the oxtail, you will not regret it! They also have a creperie open all day until 5pm for snacks. But for lunch and breakfast, we had the buffet and it was, like i said, lacking. Not very much different from an American buffet. The bar was 24 hours and drinks were good, nothing special but no complaints.

FACILITY: It was great that we went there during the World Cup. They turned the club into a world cup viewing room and that was pretty awesome. They had very nice greenery all through out and animals like monkeys and these lemur looking animals and various birds. I loved that natural feel of it. If you get building 5, it is (in my opinion) have the best location. Closest to the beach, pool, restaurants and stores. But far from buffet and lobby which is really ok considering i didn't like the buffet at all. You can also rent out kayaks and a small sailboat thing for free. We did the kayak which was really fun with some minor waves. The pool was nice. Didn't spend a lot of time there because it was too hot and no breeze by the pool so spent more time at the beach but very pretty and clean. Close to the bar and creperie so great for snacks and grabbing drinks for kids.

BEACH: There are NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE THE BEACH! AMAZING! Seriously, the sand, the water, everything! If you are privileged, you can get access to some shade which you will need because it is hot and you will burn especially with the white sand radiating the sun brighter. Seriously one of the most amazing beaches. I can not say enough nice things about that beach. I will probably dream about it for months.

TIPS:
-DO NOT EAT ANY SEAFOOD. I mean although they are by the coast, this is isn't Maine or whatever you don't need to have it. Our next door neighbor got 24 hour food poisoning from what we think was the scallops. All the other food was great and fresh but seafood is a lot more difficult to control and not sure if it wasn't cooked but he was pretty sick for 24 hours.
-Have breakfast at the Terrace every day! Its soooo nice and its free. They don't advertise it probably because they don't want it to get packed but you have such an amazing view of the beach and the food is SO MUCH BETTER than the buffet.
-Wake up early to save seats with shade by the beach if you're privileged. It gets very hot and the beach is so nice and easier to handle if you're under some sort of shade.

All in all, the trip was amazing! Will definitely go back to this same hotel. Very reasonably priced and reasonably close to the hotel! (for my transportation review see: USA-TRANSFERS)

Room Tip: -DO NOT EAT ANY SEAFOOD. I mean although they are by the coast, this is isn't Maine or whatever...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kimberly P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed June 26, 2014

My daughter and I just returned from a week at the Catalonia Maroma. I booked privileged and we arrived early. At the privilege check in the agent told us the room would not be ready until 3pm (which is the standard check in time) but for us to check with him in an hour because he thought the room would be ready. The room was available early so we moved our things to the room. The rooms are not all equal. We had room 5327 and the balcony was very small and had a wall around 10 feet high which eliminated any view. I decided to request a different room the next morning. The agent at the privileged check in was very accommodating and moved us to a beautiful room in building 4. The room was 4225 and had a huge balcony with a lovely view of the gardens. We didn't have any ants or bugs in our room, and nothing was broken or in disrepair.
The beach is the nicest I have experienced anywhere, and I live internationally and travel extensively. The food was Ok at the buffet, not a lot of variety but it was fresh. We dined at the Italian, Mexican and Terrace specialty restaurants. I've read many poor reviews of the Italian restaurant, but we found it to be wonderful. I don't drink alcohol (migraines) so I can't comment on the drinks or availability. The staff was wonderful. Everyone was always smiling and helpful.
The lovely gardens with coatamundi, agouti and monkeys were lovely and we enjoyed our walks to the buffet. The pool was clean and we didn't have trouble getting lounge chaises by the pool. With privileged booking you can have lunch at the terrace restaurant overlooking the ocean which is nice. For the price of the resort, I think it was a nice place.

Room Tip: Building 4 is nice. Room 4225 is great.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank tlscjs
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We stayed in 5days/4nights for our 1 year anniversary. Upon arrival we were greeted with a friendly smile. He took our bags and immediately walked us into the open lobby to the 24hr bar. We got drinks and headed to the privileged check in. This place is very spread out and each building is off of the walking path, but you would not know this bc there are so many trees. Before coming I had checked with Tripadvisor on which building was the best to stay in, so when checking in I requested building 6 bc it is located next the pool, beach, spas, two of the restaurants. The two gentlemen that helped get us checked in were very nice and courteous. We also had a few other people joining us so I had also requested for them to be in the same building as us.....which they made that happen too. Building 6 is the most requested!! I had packed in my duffle bag our bathing suits bc I knew our room would not be ready, so we changed in the bathroom and off we went to the bar....which is located right on the beach. The pool is massive and clean. but a little too warm. The beach was so amazing and clean...water wasn't to cold nor to warm just perfect. If you are privileged quest for really get the royal treatment so upgrade to this because it was well worth it. Since we were privileged we had huts on the beach, free kayak and free catamaran. (they did have a time limit) Tons of hammocks all in one section. They are constancy coming around picking up drinks/trash so this is place is very well taken care of. Once our room was ready, we headed up to check it out and WOW!!!!! IT was huge, clean and the balcony was enormous! Since this was our 1yr anniversary I wanted to do something special for my husband, so I had contacted the concierge through email a week before. Same day I got a response back from Aldo ( who was so nice) with so many ideas. I picked the dinner on the beach and rose pedals in our room and he handled it all. Once we got to the hotel I went to talk to him but he wasn't there yet but Monica was so VERY helpful!!! So sweet! We ended up not getting to have dinner on the beach bc of the wind but we did get to have dinner on the patio over looking the beach so that was fine with us. The dinner was actually very good. (lobster steak dinner) The service was good too! On the second day we were there they had come to our room without us knowing and placed an anniversary banner on the door and flower pedals all over and decorated swan towels. It was so sweet and I loved that took the time out to do that for us to make it special! Choosing to be privileged you get to have breakfast/lunch/dinner in the restaurant above the pool bar over looking the beach. This food was GOOD and the margaritas were soooooooooooooooo good!!!! There are two breakfast buffets one is located behind the lobby and the other by the pool area. We ate in all of them and it really wasn't that bad bc it can always be worse. They have so many wild animals including my favorite MONKEYS!!!! I got to feed it bananas and it held my hand...totally friendly and is there everyday. Lizards and another kind of animal that is very cute looking but can be dangerous if needed, but obviously not harmful or they wouldn't be there. We did go into Playa which was 25 minutes away from hotel...took a taxi and felt safe. The last night we did go back to Playa we ate at an authentic restaurant and it was good. Also, tons of games beach volley ball, ping tables, boards, tic tac toe and water games. Clubs are fun some nights but mostly dead. Bathroom sink area has larger counter tops, a built in make up mirror, large closets, and the showers were roomy, tons of bottle water, workout room has tv and good equipment. Bring mosquito spray bc the lobby has tons, but no where else. bring extra smokes or lighters or aloe vera bc hotel marks everything up big time and so not worth. Overall I would recommend this place and would definitely go back again!
The only downer is there is no swim up bar and some of the rooms can get hot...ours was fine and didn't have a problem.

Room Tip: Building 6 is right next to pool/beach, Building 4 is next to building 6 so if you have this one tha...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kristin B
Saint Joseph, Missouri
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We stayed a week at this beautiful resort (Sunday thru Saturday) and enjoyed every single minute. I had read several reviews and was a little concerned (not much!) but any concerns quckly went away. We were met the minute we stepped off the van and escorted to Privileged check-in. Our bags were taken to our room and we were given a complete run-through of the resort amenities, activities, policies, etc, and were then left to explore at our leisure. Our room was very nice, clean and comfortable (no bugs anywhere!). We had a flat screen TV (which was seldom on - who comes to a resort to sit inside and watch TV - unless it is raining!). We also had a fully stocked fridge and a beautiful patio. We were close to both the beach and the pool--as well as the Terrace creperie/bar/restaurant as well as the other restaurants. The main lobby and buffet were the furtherest but still within a 5 min walk. The housekeeping staff was great--room was cleaned every day and fridge was restocked daily. Other complaints were about the food which we had no problem. The buffet had a wide variety all day and there are four other restaurants. We tried them all and had no problems. The portions at the restaurants might have been smaller than we are used to but they were certainly enough. We never left the table hungry! The Terrace was probably our favorite but only because of the view from upstairs. As for the drinks, they were always plentiful--at no time were we told they were out of alcohol! I didn't notice any after-taste from any of them and I tried several. As for the grounds, the resort itself was immaculate and the grounds keepers were always in evidence--from very early morning (cleaning seaweeds off the beach) to late evening, clipping, trimming, planting, picking up trash (Really--with all the trash cans, people still just drop their trash wherever they are for someone else to pick up). As for comments about people smoking, I saw very few smokers and most of the restaurants didn't allow smoking. There were certainly no "clouds" of smoke unless they were at the disco which we didn't visit. We also did not use room service (I don't eat in my bedroom at home and certainly don't expect anyone to carry me anything at midnight) There may be extenuating circumstances but that is a little different. Most important, though, is the excellence of the employees! They were just fantastic. They were always professional, polite, and friendly. We were always greeted with a smile and asked if we needed anything. We took time to visit with as many as we could and to thank them for the jobs they do. We never felt slighted or felt that the French-Italians-or whatever were treated better than we were. It is all about courtesy and respect which they certainly deserved. Overall, this was a great vacation at a beautiful resort, made even better by the quality individuals employed there. We can't wait to go back and definitely recommend this resort for anyone looking for a beautiful beach to "get away" for a bit! If you need constant activity or pampering, maybe you might look elsewhere. Otherwise, this is all A+!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kathy S
Madera, California
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed here 7days/6night for our honeymoon. We paid to be in a honeymoon room with balcony jacuzzi and upgrade to honeymoon package. The service here was very poor. Housekeeping came at all hours of the day, usually very early before we were awake, or late afternoon when we were ready to shower and change for dinner. If they came when we were in the room they'd leave and our room would never get serviced. They did turn down service only twice. We should have had nightly turn down.

Room service was a joke, they took 2 hours to deliver food. And will not serve breakfast before 7am, which is a problem if you are going on early excursions.

The food was just so so. They tout using top shelf liquors, but that is not the case.

When complaints were made about varous service issues NOTHInG was done to fix the problems.

We also had ants in our room, and a water closet that was falling apart. As for our patio jacuzzi, the drain was broken and it didnt hold water, so we never did get to use it.

Overall this trip was a let down. We will NOT be coming back.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank emip418
Enrico R, Gerente at Catalonia Playa Maroma, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for expressing your views on TripAdvisor. We deeply regret not meeting your expectations during your stay at our hotel. We do value and encourage guest feedback as it allows us to make improvements and helps us to maintain consistent high standards of customer service.

In Catalonia Playa Maroma we truly care about your comfort and satisfaction. Our guests are all important and all receive the same kind, friendly, warm and welcoming environment that characterizes us, following the policy and philosophy of Catalonia Hotels: good hotels.

According with our standards and policies, our housekeeping schedule service is from 9am to 5pm to clean the rooms, also, as you are mentioning every time the maid came to your room you were there, so as a procedure, in case you denied the service or leave the don’t disturb card on the door we had to rescheduled until the next day.

Room service for breakfast starts at 7am and needs to be scheduled one day prior the service. The information in clearly specified in the menu and also when guest`s call asking for the it. The time to deliver the food takes only from 25 to 35 minutes and this is also explained to our guests when they call for room service.

Our hotel is located in a mangrove area. It therefore follows that there should be mosquitoes, ants and bugs in such surroundings. Thus, we fumigate the hotel every day including common and perimeter areas, restaurants, bars and kitchens. We also conduct a comprehensive monthly review of every room.

Although we would like to say that we have looked into our files and we did not have any record or information with regards of any similar situation to all of what you said you experienced with us. Our Guest Service staff is always available for assisting our clients and we are sure that if you would have mentioned your discontentment, it would have been a pleasure for us to help you and this situation could be ended differently.

Yours sincerely,

Management Catalonia Playa Maroma
Shelby Township MI
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We spent 8 days at the Catalonia in May. My husband and I have traveled the area extensively so we have a good idea of what to expect. Having stayed at another Catalonia property previously we knew this was not going to be five star as they claimed. We booked the privileged ocean view and paid quite a bit more than a standard room

We arrived and they did not have us registered although we had our confirmation from Delta. After much confusion we were ushered to the bar lobby area and told to wait. After 30 minutes we approached a bell hop and explained the situation. He was most apologetic and assisted us in registering . Our top of the line oceanview suite was worn , the shower in need of repair. Ants ran along the sink and all other desk top spaces . Service was no where to be found in the Ocean buffet nor the main buffet that day. We complained to the concierge our second day and were told that we should not worry our lack of service on the first day, it was out of the ordinary and that the ants were just a part of the jungle!
We have stayed at many resorts and have never encountered ants all over our room. The third day we were greeted with t shirts in our room that said like "Catalonia" on facebook? what a cheesy response to poor service.

Highlights
beautiful beach ,great sand
staff that tries very hard and are very friendly despite poor management
no time share pressure
terrace view is awesome for breakfast and lunch and food pretty good
housekeeping is very tentative despite the rooms needing tlc
spa was great, staff very welcoming
our bungalow was very quiet and peaceful

Failures:
*why upgrade ? - everyone can go wherever they want on the beach and the pool..there is no special treatment

Room service , we ordered at 10:30 pm, they arrived a 12:45 am ,
Pillow service - three phone calls and three hours until housekeeping came to the room

*the pool bar ran out of alcohol everyday by 3pm and the lobby bar by 11 pm - no vodka, tequilia rum , beer., mixers and even coffee . We think this is a way to slowly usher people back to their rooms and save money. The staff looks helpless when people ask for a drink and they have nothing to offer.. very poor management for an all inclusive resort.

The gym was one of the worse i have encountered in Mexico- equipment old , rusty, most not in working condition, tears on the benches,no mats, dumb bells broken, 1 of the 2 treadmills out of order the entire 8 days

This resort caters to the French so expect lots of smoking, most areas of the resort are smoky especially the lobby, it was intolerable from early morning until late at night due to billows of smoke

Room Tip: our ocean view room was very close to the beach-
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank marcyp
Enrico R, Gerente at Catalonia Playa Maroma, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear valued guest,

First of all we are very sorry for the inconvenience you had at your arrival in our hotel, as it seems that you did not receive the level of service you were expecting from us. Rest assured that all these information have been forwarded to the persons responsible of each department involved and that the appropriate measures have already been taken in order to ensure our purpose: your satisfaction.

We appreciate your remarks about the room, it is important to mentioning that Privileged rooms are lastly renovated, in fact we manage a Maintenance Program where we perform regularly different works in the rooms and areas keeping the hotel functioning for your comfort.

We would like to clarify that we have never denied any drink or liquor which is not in our menu, what you said could make us think that you did not find the brand you were looking for.
We would like to remind you that as a Privileged guest you were able to enjoy exclusively of the following amenities in the room: bathrobe and slippers, daily restocked mini bar with water, beer and soft drinks, coffee machine, iron and ironing board, LCD TV with cable and pillow menu.
And also take advantage of the following privileges:

Private lounge from 9am to 5pm with a Concierge, to help you with anything you need. In the lounge you had free access to computers with internet, snacks, soft drinks, tea and coffee.
Privileged identification, which allows you to enjoy a privileged area in the restaurant Pajarito as well as a privileged area on the beach. Exclusive breakfast and lunch everyday at Terrace Restaurant and one dinner at Terrace Restaurant. Access to the wet areas in the Spa and Room service 24 hrs.

In Catalonia Playa Maroma we truly care about the comfort and satisfaction for our clients. Our guests are all important and all receive the same kind, friendly, warm and welcoming environment that characterizes us, following the policy and philosophy of Catalonia Hotels: good hotels.
Best regards,

Managemente Catalonia Playa Maroma
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This is our second time at the Catalonia Playa Maroma as a privileged guest. First time we went with our family of four and another family of three. This year we brought along another family because they heard about what a great time we had so we had a total of eleven this year.

We stayed the week of June 14th through the 21st. When arriving we told the guy at the front entrance that we were all checking in as a privileged guests so he then proceeded to get his cart and took all of our luggage and walked us to the check in building that is closer to the beach. Check in was quick and simple and then the guy took our bags to our rooms. We all had rooms in the 6000 building and the rooms are nicely decorated and modern looking. The bed is firm yet not rock hard, there are extra pillows in the closet that offer softer varieties. There is a nicely stocked refrigerator with water, soda, and beer. Flat screen TV that we did not use because why would we when we are on vacation in Mexico. The room air conditioning worked very well and also had a ceiling fan over the bed. They have a feature that when you open the sliding glass door the air conditioning will shut off to save on electric costs when people leave the door open, so make sure that you keep it closed if you want to make sure that your room stays nice and cold. The bath room is nicely set up and they provide soap, shampoo & conditioner (if you choose not to bring any of that) hair dryer, a makeup mirror, and coffee maker. In the closet they have two robes and slippers, a full size umbrella should you need one, a safe to lock up your belongings. The rooms were always nice and clean each day and stocked with fresh towels, refrigerator restocked with things that you used up the day before. The cleaning staff would leave a different "towel sculpture" on the bed each day. Just remember to put away any electronic devices because as a safety guard for them the cleaning staff will not clean the room if a cell phone, ipad or computer is left out.

Every staff member has a good attitude and we were always greated with hola, buenes diaz or something similar. Everyone we encountered was able to speak english and did not have any instance of a language barrier. The staff that cleans the rooms maybe does not speak as much english but they know enough for their job.

There are a lot of Spanish, French and Italians at this resort and we enjoyed hearing other languages spoken. There were no issues with that mix of people and never really encountered any rude people during our stay. It was kind of nice to be at a place where english was not the predominant language spoken.

The resort grounds are always clean and very nicely decorated with plants and flowers around the buildings. The buildings are three stories and have a nice Mexican/Caribbean flare to the exterior style and paint choices. The resort is set among a jungle and when walking from the guest rooms, pool or beach to the buffet, lobby or theater you will walk down a long cement walkway that takes you though jungle.

The food was very good in any of the places we ate. The buffet offers a large variety of food, fruit, deserts, juices, bread, etc. The waiters will get you what ever you want to drink. The nightly restaurant choices all were great. We were given a ticket that allowed us five dinners at any of the three restaurants and you will need to give that ticket to the hostess and they will punch that ticket. We tried all three and no one had a bad meal, and we decided to repeat the Italian and the Mexican restaurant. Usually the biggest decision each day was which restaurant to eat because we liked each one. We also had a separate meal ticket for the Terrace but we never went. The restaurants open up at 6pm and we generally showed up around 6:30ish and never had to wait and all eleven of us were seated right away. The later you show up there will be a wait. The Europeans generally eat later so getting there between 7 and 8pm you will have to wait. The food portions are a perfect size and we left feeling full, but some Americans I guess are used to huge portions and ended up writing complaints on here that the meals were too small. You get an appetizer, meal and a desert and what ever you like to drink and we never left hungry.

The beach is outstanding!! The sand is like powder and is never hot so you can walk all day in the sand and not need sandals. The ocean is warm with clear blue water, no rocks or coral, no sea grass/seaweed so everyone can enjoy that perfect beach. The waves are not to crazy and most people loved to jump or ride the waves as they come in. You have free use of kayaks and was told if you pay for a lesson can take out a small catamaran. There are plenty of beach loungers, however not all will be shaded so those tend to get taken early in the morning to avoid the mid-day sun.

The pool is the type that has a zero depth to walk into and gradually will go deeper. The pool is very large and doesn't feel to crowded. They have staff that have daily activities that mainly occur in or around the pool area. There is a building next to the pool where you can get drinks, crepes, banana splits, ice cream and shakes.

If you choose to attend a nightly show in the theater it is next to the lobby in a separate building and most nights its the entertainment staff that put on the show. The shows start at 9:45pm and last about an hour or so. They are not too bad and is something to do after dinner. The also have a "disco tech" and after each show will invite you to stop in.

As mentioned before we were here last year and had such a great experience that all of us decided to travel here again this year. This was a first because we had never repeated a vacation ever. We again had a great vacation and would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone. It is a great value and you really can't go wrong.

Room Tip: book your vacation as a privileged guest
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#71 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
#99 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!