“Amazing stay - Can't wait to return!”

Catalonia Playa Maroma
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My partner and I (along with another couple) had the privilege of visiting Catalonia Playa Maroma from May 22 - May 27.

We honestly can say that our stay far exceeded our expectations. We had no problems getting chairs near the pool or on the beach. In previous trips to other resorts, we had to wake up at dawn and get our towels on a chair if we wanted any chance of getting a decent spot.

The resort is extremely clean and well-maintained.

The best part of the resort, however, is the entertainment staff (especially Jesus!!). They do a great job of getting the guests involved in various activities. Make sure you see the live shows at night in the theater! They're better than other shows we have paid to see and they're absolutely free! We were able to see a Madonna show, Disney show as well as Mr. Catalonia which were all extremely entertaining and well-choreographed.

Don't miss out on this tropical paradise!

1  Thank Will W
There are newer reviews for Catalonia Playa Maroma

Reviewed May 28, 2014

My best friend and I went to Catalonia Playa Maroma for 4 nights last week. This was my 5th all-inclusive trip and my 4th trip to Mexico. I had been to the Rivera Maya area before, and this was one of the nicer hotels I had stayed at. The property itself was beautiful, the staff was very friendly, and the beach was gorgeous. I loved the jungle walk between the main lobby and the beach, the overall quality of service and the accommodations. The hotel does claim to have a gym, but all the equipment is rusty, old, and mostly broken, so don't bother packing exercise gear. However, what was truly disappointing was on day 3 both my friend and I got a terrible case of Traveler's Diarrhea. We had been careful about drinking only bottled water, did not drink too much (not at all by the end or our trip), and did not overeat. We both spent most of our day 3 and 4 in or near the bathroom either in our room or by the pool. We could not identify what was making us sick and by the end resorted to eating only bread and plain pasta and drinking only bottled water and soda. I started feeling better about 4 days after returning. Like I said, this is unfortunate, as I have stayed in less nice resorts and had no issues. I would recommend the hotel if the staff identifies what made us so sick!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sasha N
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I just came back from my trip to Mexico from May 18th to May 24th and Catalonia was really good. We stayed at the priviledge section in a comfort room with a kings size bed, it was very confortable. Here is my review:
1. Hotel Grounds: Very Mexican full of colors, they keep them very nice and clean. You feel pretty much in contact with nature since the hotel is full of coconut trees, animals, birds etc. I liked, was very nice, The pool, well is cement so I kinda scratched my self several times.. but overall very good.
2. Service: we have the quickest check in and che out service. Everybody in this hotel are extremelly nice, they treat you so good and always want their guest to feel happy. Just remember, they work really really hard to make your vacation a dream vacations so A NICE TIP IS ALWAYS GOOD!
3. Food: Ok this is GOOD. I mean, Tio Pedro was my least favorite. Tortuga was delicious, the buffet is allright,(loved their juices), the creperie was good they have amazing amazing ice creams, and the Italian resturant was also very tasty. I had breakfast most of the time at the priviledge restaurant upstairs the creperie was good and in the afternoons they have great snacks. Did not try their tapas dinner so not sure
4. Drinks: I bought a nice large cup filled up with tons of margaritas and brough my own tequila... it was great. But overall drinks are the same like any other all-inclusive resort.
5. Entertaiment: These people suck (in my opinion) .. I could careless anyways about Lookea... Dont have kids didnt bother for them.
6. Location: great amazing beach, the best I even seen not crowded I mean is amazing. The hotel is located 25min from the Cancun Airport. Perfect!

Recommend this hotel if you want a peaceful hotel, with a nice amazing beach and OK food.

Room Tip: Priviledge Section. either building 5 or 6 you will be close to the pool and beach.
4  Thank Jennifer Z
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Booking this resort was the best decision I've ever made. The beach stretches miles a way.The ocean is so blue and clear. The landscape is very clean and so beautiful. The staff were so friendly. The check in was so quick (less than 5 mins). Loved the walkway between main lobby to Privileged lobby (about 4 mins). Caotis were roaming around digging the ground for worms on both sides of the walkway. Amstar is more systematic here in Mexico. They were on time picking me up from the airport and hotel. I think this resort only has 6 restaurants. None of them opens all day except for snack bar Creperie. I arrived after 3.30pm and I was so hungry and couldn't find a place for food. Finally my new friends and I were settling at Creperie with some Mexican pancake and margaritas until 6pm. We had dinner at Toscana and the food was only average. Pajarito was the only buffet restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the food here is above average . Don't give me wrong I am not complaining. I was pretty happy and wasn't starving. I am beyond happy with this resort. Going back again? Definitely yes.

Room Tip: Building 5 is closer to the most restaurants , beach and pool.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Sherryamour
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My family and I recently returned from a 7 night stay at this resort. We were greeted right away offered a drink and then had to make a 5 minute walk in the extreme heat to the check in for privilege guests. My mother is 87 years old and it was a very long way for her to walk. But on the plus side after that we were provided with a wheelchair for the entire week which was great. The rooms were clean and large and had plenty of storage. The bathroom was okay. Not up to date but clean. I think the time of year that we went wasn't good for the beach at all. There was always alot of seaweed washed up and even some days all in the water. The pool area and gardens were so pretty.
Service at the pool bar and other bars was good. A few days in a row the beach bar ran out of some of the popular liquors. The staff were very nice and very accommodating. We were lucky as our rooms were close to the beach which is where the restaurants were. The buffet was at the front of the resort which was about a 5-7 minute walk from our room but it was a very lush walk.
The food was very good. We did not enjoy the food at the Mexican restaurant at all. The buffet always was good.
The service in the restaurants was very very poor. Either they didn't understand you or it didn't matter. It was hit or miss whether you got what you ordered. And it was very very slow. The food was very very good in the Italian and the Steakhouse and the Terrace. But again very frustratingly slow.

Room Tip: A very comfortable and enjoyable trip. I probably would return with no expectations on excellent fo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chatsie40
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We spent a week in this place and loved most part of it. It is a rather big resort with a very good beach, very good restaurants (at least as far as resorts are concerned) and friendly staff. If you get a priviledge room you also get free WiFi which works reasonably well.

Probably the best thing about it were the Coati living freely throughout which welcomed us every morning! Amazing creatures, very friendly (just don't feed them).

The only bad thing I can say about this hotel is that the entrance is quite far from the main road that takes you Cancun or Playa Del Carmen. Also when we were there the street to get there was not lit at night and that made a very uncomfortable walk coming back. If you intend to spend all of your time in the resort that would not be a problem but if you want to go and explore that is a bid downside (and the reason why I would personally not go back)

Room Tip: Get a Priviledge room, that gives you free wifi
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My partner and I booked this hotel's 'Privileged' all-inclusive package through cheapcarribean.com. We were well beyond satisfied with the service and level of accommodations we received. We spent four days in Merida and the Yucatan with family prior to our stay at Catalonia Playa Maroma and became deathly ill-so sick we had to visit a doctor while in Mexico. Once we arrived to the hotel, all we wanted was some R&R and time to ourselves and we got exactly what we needed. We had a beautiful King suite that was exceptionally clean with a comfy bed and tidy restroom-out top two priorities with booking properties. The private beach was beyond gorgeous-snow white sand and clear water- and we were looking forward to avoiding the typical party crowd that frequents Cancun. All the staff were extremely friendly, courteous, and beyond willing to accommodate any desire we had. At one point, we had to send someone to pick up a prescription for us since we were so sick-no issue and more affordable than expected! Even at dinner, the wait staff were willing to let us sample a couple different choices for our main course due to our indecisiveness. I cannot give the crew at this location enough credit! The grounds to this property are also some of the cleanest and most inviting of all that we saw during our excursions out. However, be prepared to do some walking-no big deal for us. There are a variety of activities day and night for every type of traveler and we encountered a very diverse crowd here at Catalonia Privileged Maroma.

3  Thank GypsyJeni
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#102 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!