On the whole, we loved this resort. It was clean, well laid out and we appreciated it's smaller size (400 as compared to 1000 rooms). Six 2 and 3 story buildings, each with garden courtyards are where the rooms are located. Never was there any party noise. Loved that the jungle completely surrounds each building. The beach was AWESOME, with natural palm trees for shade instead of cheesy grass huts. Great pool, lots of activities to join into if you wanted to. We only ran into 1 difficult situation when the service was so poor in the a la cart restaurant that we decided to leave to go to the buffet instead. We politely told the hostess that we were leaving because of the poor service and simple did so. Not expecting anything more to come of it, we were surprised by a phone call from the head of food services to find out more about why we decided to leave. They were extremely gracious and apologetic, and treated us to the finest meal we have ever had the next night as compensation. (in the upgraded restaurant). We were impressed. Beds were comfortable and room was clean. The only other disappointment was that the room we had (on the third floor) had a 5 foot high wall instead of a railing on the balcony. Being only 5 feet tall, there was absolutely NO view off our balcony. Only 24 balconies are like this of the 400ish. We asked for another room that could overlook the courtyard, but another was not available until the next day. We decided to stay because it would mean packing up and repacking, and carrying our things ourselves (No elevators.) We declined the offer to move.
Exceptionally nice buffet, in atmosphere, food and service. (Thanks to the young fellow, Victor that served us breakfast every day.)
We would definitely return with a request for a first or second floor room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Playa Maroma is situated in the Mayan Riviera, at only 35 kilometers south of Cancun and 20 kilometers north of Playa del Carmen. Regarding to the Travel Channel, Playa Maroma is one of the most beautiful beaches of the world. The typical Mexican decoration with its vibrant colors and palapa roofs surrounded by the native jungle make this resort the perfect place to spend a wonderful vacation. The Mayan World has to offer a lot to its visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Catalonia Playa Maroma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Del Carmen
- Playa Maroma