“*OUR HONEYMOON* APRIL 2014”

Catalonia Playa Maroma
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Myself and my new hubby booked this hotel with Thomson holidays because the price was fair and we could stay in the honeymoon room for the same price compared to standard rooms at other hotels. One thing i must say is the beach is breathtaking, Go and have a coffee there in the early morning its beautiful! The hotel was ok... i wouldnt say it was bad and i wouldnt say it was amazing. Being English here is a bit of a downfall...Everyone is foreign...For 2weeks my partner and i only spoke to each other pretty much (Which on honeyymoon was actually quite nice). I think if this was our annual holiday we would have felt quite isolated and if you had young childeren they wouldnt be able to play with the other kids and would probably be bored. The evening entertainment is good at the hotel, The shows are much better than any other hotel weve visited. One of my biggest down falls about this hotel was the male entertainment staff, The males spend most of there time walking round the place admiring there own physiques which was entertaining to say the least! The girls were ok it was just the men. The honeymoon suite was ok ..The bed was lovely a nice big four poster. Completely different to whats advertised online. The photos on the website shows petals in the jacuzzi, Champagne, chocolates , Balloons...Well we didnt get any of that until my hubby questioned it at the recpetion and then they sent us a bottle of bubbly and x4 forreiro roches, By this point the moment really had passed though. The waiters are amazing, They work so hard and seem to work long hours to. If you are looking for a hotel thats ok and you get a good deal on this hotel i would go because the beach more than makes up for other down falls. If i went to Mexico again we wouldnt stay at this hotel unfortuantly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TiffanyH229

Reviewed August 1, 2013

My sister and I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Catalonia Privileged Maroma and I'm sorry to say, we were very disappointed. I had read a number of reviews on here about it being a mostly European resort and really didn't think it would be a problem- I wouldn't go so far to say it was a "problem" but it certainly was a bit of an issue. I have been to Mexico twice before and of course there are people from all over the world who visit, but for some reason the rudest people from the planet seem to flock to this hotel. A large majority of the people are just unpleasant and inconsiderate- being American, I really felt like people were looking at me like I shouldn't have been there.

Aside from the rude Europeans, there are plenty of other things I disliked about the hotel. The service at the hotel was really the worst of the Mexican resorts I had stayed at. The hostess and waitstaff at the buffet seemed completely miserable and were not very helpful or prompt with service/clearing the table.

Furthermore, the food was low quality and there were not many options. The food seemed as if it had been left out and was not well attended.

The pool area was underwhelming. The pictures online are deceiving and the area was tiny, and there were no where near enough chairs for all of the guest who wanted them.

In regards to our room it was also disappointing. It just felt unclean. We even went as far as having to wear out flip-flops in the shower because of how disgusting it felt. The room was infested with many types of bugs and I was not able to relax for even one second that we were at this hotel.

All in all, I really wish we had stayed somewhere else. My husband and I had stayed at the Iberostar Tucan a few months prior- and I really wish we had stayed there again. We had chosen this hotel because it was closer to the airport and was said to have a gorgeous beach. The beach was very nice don't get me wrong, but I didn't see why it was rated as the best in the Riviera Maya.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank strawberry1247
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We just returned from a 6 night stay at the Catalonia Playa Maroma. We had the privilege upgrade which was included thru the site we purchased our package from.
I was not overly impressed but for the price paid it was ok. I have stayed at different all-inclusive resorts in the Riviera Maya so had an idea on what to expect.

The Beach: Beautiful, Soft white sand, nice waves (The Beach was the reason for visiting this resort)

The Room: We stayed in room 6119 which was a Superior Double Bed Room
Not impressive, the bed was uncomfortable, and I didn't like that there was only one thin mattress protector under the thin sheets. The bathroom is very small and outdated, the shower was a handheld faucet, there is no shower curtain and the shower itself is very small, so everyday after showering the bathroom floor was completely wet. The vanity area was a decent size. I did not like that there were tiny bugs (not sure what they were) crawling on the sink. I understand that I was in a tropical area, but I do not remember seeing them at other resorts I have stayed at in the area. TV was a flat screen but not a clear picture (not a big deal we weren't there to watch TV). We did like the option to use the in-room safe which was included, never had any issues with items missing. The room was cleaned daily however not always at the same time, one evening it was cleaned until 6pm, which was an inconvenience as we wanted to enter the room to shower and prepare for dinner. They did also offer a turn-down service every evening with the superior room, which I did like. We travelled with family, 4 adults and 2 kids. The other family stayed in the comfort room, which was the same, however they did not get the daily turn down service.
Stay in Bldg. 6 it is close to the pool and beach so waking up to save a seat in the am was easy and convenient. Plus there is a path from bldg. 6 that leads to the privileged beach area, which was also nice.

The Food: I was not impressed but I also did not starve, it was just ok. We ate at all the a la carte's for dinner. We ate at the buffet only for breakfast, never tried the Lunch or Dinner. The buffet is in an outdoor area covered with a net, which in the mornings made it difficult to enjoy breakfast because it was so hot and there are many mosquitos & flies (BRING BUG REPELLENT). The service at the buffet and all restaurants was very good! The creperie served good crepes and ok shakes, the service there was lacking. We did enjoy the lunch at the upper deck area reserved for privileged guest only. However the service there was very slow, but the view is amazing so we didn't mind.

The Drinks: Good! Bring your own insulated cup as the cups are small and don't stay cool for long.

The Pool: We enjoyed the pool, it is warm water which in the afternoon was a tad warm for our liking but still enjoyable. The pool is also large enough where it didn't feel cramped or crowded.

The Entertainment: The animation team was great, they made the day fun and had put on a great show in the evening. We only saw two show but both were great and enjoyable. Again the theater is outdoors so many mosquitos. One evening was a beach party again a lot of fun! We also took our kids to the mini disco every night at 8:45, and they were the only 2 who spoke english but they still had a ton of fun and never felt left out, thank you to the kids club team for making it a great time for them!

Trying to think of what else you may care to know, but coming up blank, if you have questions feel free to ask, overall this is a good place for the price paid, my only complaints would be the food quality, outdated room and outdoor buffet & theater, other than that we had a great time. However I like to try different resorts so not 100% sold on coming back.

Room Tip: Bldg 6 is conveniently located
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The hotel was totally booked and seriously understaffed. There was a wait for drinks everyday. Service at the buffet was extremely slow. This hotel caters almost exclusively to European guests. The Poolside activity personnel did not speak English or Spanish. It is definitely lacking the awesome Mexican fiesta feel that most people expect to experience in The Mexican Riviera. I would not recommend this hotel to people seeking the expirence of Mexico's warm and friendly people and culture. The beach was gorgeous.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bigfamlytravel
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at the Catalonia from July 14-21, the beach is beautiful, but the hotel is just average. We have stayed at many resorts in the riviera maya and this is just average. We stayed in the privilege section, the good thing was that we didn't have to make reservations at the a la carte restaurants. I would say that 90 % percent of the guests are European. Everyone spoke French, our daughter could not go to the kids club because she was the only person speaking English. The night shows were more for adults, so please don't take your kids!! The Mexican dances show was good, we don't know about the other ones since we only went to one and had to leave in the middle of the show because it was very inappropriate for our 9 yr old. The buffet had very little selections for lunch and it was the same thing everyday. The beach was beautiful, but I don't think we would go back yo that resort.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Superiorhaulers
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here from July 17th thru the 24th. This was our honeymoon and we had a really good time.

We stay in a comfort room with the Privileged access. The room was fine. Nothing to over the top but still nice. We did have a broken TV and it took them a couple of days to come and fix it. But the mini bar was free, they have free wifi and they are provided great service so that made up for it.

We ate at all the restaurants and the buffet, food was very good. We enjoyed our food cery day every night. They also do grilling on the beach for lunch that was really good.

They alao have some amazing deals at this resort. We did two lobster dinners, which were so delicious, so beautiful, very romantic, great price!!!! Also we had an amazing massage that also was a very great price. I recommend both. If you have any questions whike your there, go to Pilar or Gudalupe, they were soooo amazing, very very helpful and very nice. Also Alice was a really sweet girl that loves to get people involvedin the activites around the redort. I was really happy with the service.

The only things that I will say that is more on the negative side is the mosquitoes are so horrible so bring a lot is bug repellent and because me and my husband like to go out and party a little, we were pretty far away from playa del Carmen and Cancun. You can take a taxi but you can't really negotiotaions on price. It's was 50 round trip to playa and 100 to cancun. So that sucked a little. But the resort was nice and the beach was absolutely beautiful and amazing. I have lived in Miami and I live in the Sarasota area now and this beach is probably the best I've been too. Very enjoyable.

I would definitely recommend this all inclusive to anyone I really really enjoyed myself.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Kiejon
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband, 4 year-old son & I stayed here from 7/12-7/21. Because of its low price point, we did not have very high expectations and kept them low. The resort itself is a lower category (with evident need for upgrading in less visible areas like bathrooms, A/C system in rooms, certain fixtures) but there are some serious issues with maintenance and hygiene in certain areas. We were in 5 different rooms during our stay here. The first (#6118), had obviously been flooded recently due to the strong moldy smell in room, and moldy-smelling pillows in closet, as well as poor A/C. As some people who have also stayed here, we noticed our safe had been opened our first night there when we returned to our room, but nothing had been removed. After much back and forth with the "Privileged" concierge, Nina (who had an unbelievably fake "friendly" demeanor), we were then moved upstairs to a smaller room( #6217) with two-full sized bed, which couldn't adequately accommodate the three of us comfortably. Again, Nina grudgingly then moved us to room (#6218) which was the nicest room we had during our stay. The A/C worked well, the room smelled clean, and we started to relax and settle in to our room. The next day, we were contacted by the front desk (Filiberto), who said that as a "gift" to us, they would offer us an upgrade to an ocean-front view room, and they wanted our current room for a special needs family who needed to connect to the room next to it. Though happy with the current room, we made the change to the smaller room (#6222) not only to accommodate the child, but the room did have a lovely view. So we moved again, which was not fun since we had just gotten comfortable, but hoped this would be the last issue. That night, we noticed the A/C was not working well, so we called a repair person who came up and worked on it. When we came back from dinner, it wasn't much better, so we decided to call the next day to resolve. At that point, we started dealing with one of the managers named Pilar who tried to help as best as she could within her abilities, but ultimately there are many larger-scale problems with the hotel itself that have to be fixed first.
Hygiene issues that we experienced:

Flying bugs in open-air food buffet and on food.
Towels and linens that were not regularly changed after being used and put on floor to be changed.
My personal shower glove that had been left in shower smelled strongly of bleach after room had been cleaned.
Lunch Cafe Tortuga had hair wrapped around some of the hot dogs on rotary grill.

The toilet in our room (#6222) failed twice and was clogged, and drainage in sink was clogged.
At our fifth day into our stay, we started experiencing GI issues and our 4 yr. old awoke at 4:30AM on our sixth day with high fever and diarrhea. We requested a room change since the toilet was not functioning and Pilar gave us a honeymoon suite (#6324) on the next floor up. We took it even though the room was much smaller and the A/C was faulty (again) because the bathroom was very new and looked cleaner than anything we had seen so far, and our son needed a toilet that functioned. That night, my son's condition worsened and when I tried to use the in-room phone to call in the local doctor, the phone did not function. I could not believe my eyes (or ears). I had to go down 3 flights to call the front desk to get a doctor. When he did arrive, he examined our son and said he believed it was a case of Travelers Diarrhea, and offered us the option to treat our son with his own meds. We were going to have him treat our son, but I conferred with a family member who is a physician and was advised to take him to the Hospitel in PDC, which we ended up doing.
At the hospital, he was diagnosed with Amoebic Dysentery and was admitted. We all stayed for two days in the hospital, had to pay $2,600 out of pocket for his care, and now we are all on meds to contain the parasite. Pilar did call the hospital to follow up on the situation, though we are convinced it was strictly to assess the situation and offered no compensation, no cab fare, nothing, other than telling us how sorry she was for our situation.
We spent one last night in our room before we left the next day, and when we were checking out the next day, the person checking us out (Willie) had the audacity to charge us for an in-room phone call (which was bizarre because our phone didn't work). Pillar came out to see us, and promptly rectified the 20 peso charge, but again no offer to do something for our horrible circumstances. She actually asked if we would consider visiting again, which made my head spin. Horrible, horrible, horrible. We are in the process of trying to ascertain exactly where the source of the parasite came from, and at the hospital were told it was definitely food-related.
We did have a day trip to Isla Mujeres early in our trip but ate at a large fast food chain, but the majority of our meals were on-site at Catalonia.
Our opinion of this resort is obviously unfavorable, but in the end we chose this resort because of its attractive low price point and location on the beautiful Playa Maroma. We have learned (in an awful way) that a bargain is not always a bargain. For what was spent in hospital stays, doctor charges at hotel, medicines, future doctor visits & monitoring since this is an extremely contagious, hard to get rid of disease, and lost time from work, etc., we could have stayed somewhere much better and of less questionable hygienic practices, but we had no way to anticipate the hell this trip became.
Hope this story helps someone who is considering a trip here.

Room Tip: Don't bother with this resort.
Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
15  Thank AAlex2002
PlayaMaroma, Gerente at Catalonia Playa Maroma, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

We would like to thank you for expressing your views on TripAdvisor. We deeply regret not meeting your expectations during your stay at our hotel. We do value and encourage guest feedback as it allows us to make improvements and helps us to maintain consistent high standards of customer service.

You make very serious and unsubstantiated allegations which we find very distressing indeed. Your statements are not backed up by any conclusive evidence whatsoever. As I am sure you will be aware, we take these matters very seriously. Therefore, I would like to clarify the following points in reply to your comments.

First, our air conditioning system is in perfect working order. We have not had any complaints regarding this matter. Please note that, with regard to Module 6 in particular, there have been no incidents of any kind so far this year. We do, of course, have a maintenance team at our guests’ disposal. We completely understand that air temperature is perceived differently by different guests. Be that as it may, we assure you that we maintain the proper standard temperature which is in keeping with the climate we experience here in the Riviera Maya.

Second, due to our Caribbean location, humidity is extremely high which may, from time to time, cause a musty smell. We do not have any mold or dampness in our rooms nor have any problems arisen as a result of these. Nevertheless, I would like to emphasize that our rooms and common areas are thoroughly cleaned on a daily basis following strict standards of hygiene. Moreover, we replace towels that are left on the floor with clean ones. We also change sheets daily unless a guest requests otherwise. What is more, we are happy to report that all of this is done according to environmental guidelines to avoid wasting any water.

Third, we would like to take this opportunity to inform you that our hotel is a member of the CRISTAL quality assurance program and, as such, we undergo monthly quality assessments where we have exceeded our targets. In addition, we have our own internal quality assurance program where we also continue to exceed our targets.

Fourth, we would like to remind our future guests that Hotel Catalonia Playa Maroma is a completely safe environment. We do not open or tamper with safes. It is an extremely serious allegation and reckless thing to suggest otherwise; all the more so when it is completely unfounded and there is no evidence to support it.

Fifth, our hotel is located in a mangrove area. It therefore follows that there should be mosquitoes, ants and bugs in such surroundings. Thus, we fumigate the hotel every day including common and perimeter areas, restaurants, bars and kitchens. We also conduct a comprehensive monthly review of every room.

Sixth, we must point out that stomach problems are common to and may be caused by many types of disease or illness. It is incredibly difficult to determine what causes gastrointestinal illness especially when guests have eaten outside the hotel, as is the case here. Thus, we cannot be held responsible for an illness whose cause cannot be fully determined, particularly when it may have been acquired before your stay at our hotel.

Finally, we would like to highlight two important issues:
• In the case of a sick child, who is a minor by definition, it is the sole responsibility of the parents to take him or her to see a doctor. It follows that we cannot force anyone to do so even if, as was the case here, it took you almost two days to contact a doctor. It is therefore not surprising that a child with such symptoms and a fever had to be admitted into hospital as a matter of urgency.
• Gastrointestinal infections require patients to follow a special diet. It is not possible to carry on eating as normal. Demanding room service is therefore inappropriate (it is not even a service we offer at present) as is ordering pizza, lasagna, pasta with sauce and other processed foods rich in fat. This type of diet will only make symptoms worse.

We deeply regret the discomfort experienced during your stay. However, we hope we have made it clear why we cannot be held responsible for a guest’s illness particularly when it could have been caused by a whole number of different factors. Furthermore, there is no evidence to support any of your assertions, therefore rendering them baseless accusations.

We very much hope this clarifies the situation.

Yours faithfully,

#100 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!