“Nice hotel, great beach”

Catalonia Playa Maroma
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cincinnati
“Nice hotel, great beach”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed at Catalonia for a week in May. The room was large and clean. Mini-fridge was stocked with water, soda, and beer each day. The hotels grounds and common areas were also kept very clean. My favorite part of this hotel was the beach. It was beautiful and very swimmable (no rocks, waves but not too rough). The only problem was that the chairs under palapas were claimed very early in the morning. No one on the beach, but every chair with some shade was taken by 7:30am. I guess this happens everywhere though.
The animation staff was great. They were running activities all day and at night. They could use more servers and bartenders at the pool bar. I think there was only one server for the whole beach area. It took a long time to get your drink if you ordered from him. Same thing at the bar.
Restaurants were good. Food was mostly average. The buffet had a huge selection. Our favorite restaurant was the tapas place (I forget the name).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (659)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We arrived around 3 pm... they picked up our bags n placed them along side building ... not tagged nor told where we should be directed.... we sat for more then 45 min.... when finally we just decided we were not going sit any longer after long flight.... we wanted relax in room or beach...finally after lugging our luggage to area to get what we got was special check in, in which the only thing special about it was the push to upgrade to better room right here and now.... which we did pay the extra rate for ocean front view... terrace but was still treated as a normal guests nothing extra .... The food wasn't anything special either... some of the waiters were rude and took forever to get a drink... seems the only time they come back when they keep getting tips... which is normally anywhere... but they didn't make you feel welcome ..The actual working staff did their very best I was very much impressed with them the beach was well keeped and clean... you had to get up pretty early to get a Hut to get some shade... which was ok cause I loved the Sun rise... , but beyond that we liked the music .... and beach . Maroma Beach is great though; just go to a different resort to enjoy it!

Room Tip: Forget the upgrages rooms... Just way get more money.... nothing extra about it.... after being told...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank THERESA L
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This small resort has the best value for money offer I've ever seen. All included with a great service and a perfect beach.
If you want night "movida" you're just 20 minutes away from Playa Del Carmen.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank altech_durden
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Just got back from our vacation about 2 hours ago, and i am ready to go back ;(
A friend of mine recommended this hotel and i am NOT one bit disappointed..
From the moment we walked in to the hotel til today that we left, we were always well treated, the workers always have a smile on their face and always willing to help in every way possible, the rooms are clean we upgraded to the privilege room which i do recommend, our lil fridge in the bar was always full, always fresh towels and every day a different creature made out of towels on our bed..my daughter was always exited to go back in the room for the surprise..
They have a wonderful buffet for breakfast lunch and dinner, you ll find a little of everything for everyone s taste, and also they have some a-la-cart restaurant, my favorite was the steak house...The beach is simply amazing with the white sand and clear water, the pool is a nice place to hang out the entertainment was fun..
At night time they always have very cool shows.
I cant wait to go back, a perfect family vacation...Thanks HC awesome job.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank annalisa403
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The hotel was very good, staff nearly always helpful, rooms cleaned every day, food was very good especially the Steak House & Mexican A La Carte. Pool was clean, pool bar was nice especially in the evening as you got a nice breeze from the beach. Only 1 problem we encountered was that if you book with Thomson you will not see the rep. He does not turn up or phone even though you receive a note saying he will call you in your room at 10 am the next morning. Don't waste your time waiting as you will wait forever. You can book trips etc with any of the other reps at the resort, they will be quite happy to assist you. I am going to complain to Thomson as I am sure the guy is getting his wages for doing nothing.

Room Tip: higher floor was excellent as sometimes if it rains the lower floors flood
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beryl g
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Once again I made a reservation for a hotel and they had a panic attack reading reviews AND
maybe I'm lucky but they have been for the mostly fiction.

We arrived about 2 , we were taken directly to select check-in. While we were checking in there were cold drinks & coffee. The first room was not completely cleaned so in a matter of minutes we were assigned a new room same building. The room was clean and up to date.
The bathroom was modern with no cracked tile or other issues, the desk called with 5 minutes
to make sure the room was okay

I strongly suggest upgrading to Select, The extra dinners in the resturaunts and select beach area & dining room area in main dining room were well worth it. The Tapas and Mexican resturaunts were our personal favorites.

The resort is a good size not huge not too small. The staff knew by sight after a day or two and always greeted you with a smile. The staff was always ready to help, no one has a attitude, just
happy to help. The jungle walk between the beach & lobby was a perfect touch with Zen music piped in
Always something going on but not too strong. you could play if you wanted but you could always watch, sit on the beach, have coffee on the deck of the beach building. Entertainment in the lounge every night . Entertainment satff worked to keep the party going

We had a perfect vacation , for the price this was an excellent choice. Beach was perfect , white sand no rocks couldn't ask for more. You knew you were in Mexico not @ a glitzy resort in the states.

There are a few things I would change. A mirror in the bedroom and the opition of room service
at an additional charge, more dinners but none of these was a deal breaker.

There are a few nice touches , umbrella in the closet, towel animals every day, fridge always filled. Would I do this agin YES PLEASE

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Katie V
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The hotel itself was nice enough. The grounds were excellent as was the pool area, beach, lobby and a la carte restaurants.

The room was okay but a little bit tired and worn looking. The furniture was chipped and scratched, everything was yellowed (presumably from years of smoking tourists) and there was even a large burn on one of the shelves in the wardrobe, presumably where some lazy tourist had stubbed out their cigarette. The room was clean though and about what I would expect from an average all inclusive hotel built for the mass market European package holiday crowd.

Service was generally very good throughout the hotel. The only issue was perhaps on the Sunday when it took a long time for the waiter to come to my table at lunch but there only appeared to be two waiters in the restaurant and I'm sure they were very busy. Similarly, my room did not get cleaned until 17:45 on the Sunday (normal cleaned in the morning) so I'm sure the housekeeping staff were very busy too.

My only two real issues were:

The leaflet given out at check in stated that the minibar was stocked each day (except beer which was every other day or part of the privileged package). My minibar was stocked every day Monday to Friday with two cans of Pepsi, two cans of Pepsi light, one can of 7up and a can of orange (plus water) On Saturday, I did not get any soft drinks. I reported this to reception who informed me that the minibar was only restocked every other day. This was not what their leaflet stated and not the service I had been receiving. It seems they suddenly pulled the service six days into the holiday...

My main issue was the food. The whole reason I spent quite a bit of money and endured an eleven hour flight was for Mexican food. I arrived to find that the buffet restaurant seemed to cater to their European and American guest's food prejudices with the regular offerings seeming to be pizza and chips! There were some Mexican dishes but this was not what I travelled to Mexico for. Where was the 'chorizo con huevos' at breakfast. Where was the range of different Mexican foods at lunch and dinner. Okay, salad is universal so I understand the salad bar but were all the little buns and cakes authentic Mexican desserts, I doubt it.

The a la carte restaurants seemed to be good (tried the steak restaurant once and the Mexican restaurant twice) but you only get 4 dinner visits to these (they are not open for breakfast or lunch) in your package.

Overall, I would say this is an average three star package holiday hotel but nothing special. The buffet restaurant menu needs some work and the rooms need refurbishment. This hotel could be a lot better but it needs some effort putting in.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#100 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!