“Good Vacation”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Indiana
“Good Vacation”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed at the Catalonia Privileged Maroma from 1/29/13 through 2/5/13. We used Cancun Cab (Blue Oval) for our private transfers to and from the airport. These guys are great, always on time. Same price as a shared transfer and it just you, no extra stops.
Check in was painlesss and quick. We opted for the privileged upgrade which got you an updated room close to the pool and a few extras, well worth it. The room was very nice, clean, and everything worked great. What brought us here was the beach and ocean were suppose to be unreal. Well what I heard was correct, the beach and ocean are fantastic. Multi colored water, endless white sandy beach...WOW!!! The resort overall was nice, a bit dated but very nice. Its a long walk from the pool to the lobby area, but not too bad. The pool is small but nice, not heated so it can be a bit chilly at times. The food was average with a few really good dishes. One bad thing is breakfast is only served at the buffet next to the lobby, also they do not start serving dinner until 6:30 pm. I was told that they do this because of the extremely high number of Europeans who frequent this resort and apparently they do not eat until late. It was a bit strange that there were only a handful of english speaking at this resort. I would say there was probably about a dozen or so at the whole resort, so you did pick up on any english speaking people while you were there. It would be nice if they had more loungers at the pool, more than one mirror in the rooms, and a swing bar would be nice. There is no place to sit and relax at the bar next to the beach to get aquainted with the bartenders. They do have some nice couches and chairs overlooking the beach which were very nice.
The activities people were very nice. They went out of their way to mingle with the guests which was nice. Special thanks to Alice who was very nice and cordial to us while we were there. Good luck to you on your future!!! They did not push the activities on your nor was the music loud and annoying. The bartenders were fantastic. No issues at all with the quality, quantity, or potentcy of the drinks. Communication was not an issue either. They served top shelf liquors which my wife appreciated!! Overall I would probably return to this resort, mainly for the beach!! We did not have any issues with loungers at the pool or beach. The beach has tons of loungers as this is where most of the guests chose to locate. This is not a five star but was a nice resort. The food could use a little work but overall a very nice vacation!!!
Don't be concerned as you make your way off the highway to the resort. There is not a big fancy entrace to the resort. Its a bumpy potholed road back to the resort which had us a bit concerned about the quality of the resort but once we got there we were pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Choose the privelged option. We stayed in building 5 on the top floor and had a dissapointing small...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank VillageKitchen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (659)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013

When at the check in at Catalonia hotels offers You upgrade - promotion it might mean that your room will be painting during your stay.
At the reception desk they offered me upgrade to "better" room for the price it should be less than regular but at the end I found out its they regular web price.
Nobody mentioned that my room and my neighbors rooms will be painted during our stay.
And it wasn't one day of painting but every day for a whole week.
Painters in Mexico are paid per hour so they are doing their job so slowly that I was close to grab a brush and do it myself. Just for the job to be done.

Room Tip: Watch out for upgrade. It might mean painting your room.
Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom_John69
Regina, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2013

If you want all the extra's I recommend that you book a priveleged room at this resort. You will enjoy better seating, service, and have many additional food choices. We stayed in a priveleged Honeymoon suite in Building 4 and it was perfect.
The staff at the resort are fantastic, and if you stay in the privileged rooms you have free roam of the entire resort.
The beach here is the best. The sand is soft, and the staff are constantly removing seaweed from the shoreline.
The buffet food was always good, but we loved the lunches at the Tapas restaurant which are only available to priveleged members. You are able to get wings, sandwiches, salads, etc.
The Nightly entertainment was phenomenal! The team works hard to put on a good show. Go early because come 9:30 you wont be able to find a seat.
The only pitfall is that is it a little ways from Cancun and Playa del Carmen, so a taxi to go to the cities is more costly.

Room Tip: Buildings 1,2,3 are closer to the lobby area and 4,5,6 are closer to the beach. The resort layout is...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CherB84
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel and the whole resort stands out of all the surrounding ones by the quality of the service and depth of the animation provided by the Lookea team. The whole place is a botanical paradise set out on a white beach and a blue / green spectacular piece of the Atlantic. Every employee of the hotel and animation crew are hard workers, dependable, generous, open and very helpful. Most visitors come from France, Italy and Canada, but every language is local and everyone understands each other in some way. The food is good and there is enough variety to taste something different every day, as long as you don't just stick to the buffet. There is plenty of filtered water and of course drinks being all inclusive. If your trip is lasting a whole week, I suggest you do a few excursions, unless you enjoy lying on the beach all day or enjoy Pilates, Power Yoga, Zumba and dance lessons delivered by the most motivated animation team ever, Lookea.

Room Tip: The rooms are numbered Lobby to Beach and Bottom-up so 1111 is the closest to the lobby and on the g...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank rainvibe
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This was our 2nd trip to CPM and we travel with friends. We were all adults celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. We are all in agreement that this is a well managed, well run facility. The details taken from the grounds, to the food and training of staff for the different nationalities were excellent. For example, the wall safe was left open accidentally one evening and the maid reported it to security. All items were pictured, categorized and the safe was reset with a different combination by security. Upon return to the room they were instructed to go to the lobby and view the pictures to see if anything was missing. Well done CPM. Special thank you to the entertainment staff - Alice, Brenda and Jesus. They joined us the 1st day on the beach and kept us entertained for the 8 days. We did watch the evening shows and thought maybe this area could use some improvement. As maybe the details to choreograph wasn't as varied as other resorts. The bus to Playa Del Carmen has been discontinued and we would like to see this brought back…. maybe for even 3 days not all 7. In summary we loved this place and will be coming back again with our adult children, especially if the bus is restored for trips into Playa Del Carmen as this will cost around $55 for 4 people round trip by taxi. Thanks so much CPM for another wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: If you a beach people, stay in building 6.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fergie106
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 28, 2013

After my last review I mentioned that we would probably not go back. Well, we did go back - just can't resist the beach - best anywhere, and I have been to a lot of beaches in the Caribbean. This time we managed to get upgraded to the Privileged Honeymoon Suite - slight difference in the decor but essentially the same as the other Privileged Rooms - one exception, a 2 person Jacuzzi tub on the balcony plus a fruit basket & champagne. We ended up sitting in the 2 of the evenings - very nice.

The staff was as friendly as ever. One complaint I do have was the lack of 2 person tables in the Privileged area of buffet restaurant. The "hostess' for that area was mostly MIA, people ended up just standing there trying to find a table. That should be the Hostess's job. Staff was very slow in clearing and setting up once someone left a table. When you pay for Privileged service you expect a little more attention than what we were getting.

The house keeping staff was also off in service. One day we never received any new towels - had to call front desk, they did arrive within 5 minutes. Another day our beach towels disappeared and were not replaced.

There had been some improvements - the terrace at the beach bar now had large sail canopies with all new couches and round tublike chairs - a great improvement from the small tables and hardback chairs. Also the Privileged Beach Area was more defined. Also new were the Palapas Thatch Umbrellas in the Privileged area.
We never had any trouble finding chairs in this area - we normally arrived at the beach around 9:30am.
The Bocci area has now been turned into, what I would call 'conversation groupings of chairs" - nice touch.

The food seemed to be getting very repetitive but still a fair variety. The staff seemed a little disorganized - instead of having a runner, each server at the stations would leave when he/she ran out of what ever he/she was carving or serving. There should be one person responsible for making sure that no station was running low on food they were serving.

The clientele is mostly French , Italian with a few other European countries thrown in. Very few English speaking vacationers. Overall we had a great relaxing vacation - and yes we probably will go back. You can't beat it for the price.

Room Tip: Pay for Privileged - closer to the beach but farther from the lobby and Buffet Restaurant.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank OntarioViking
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We were at the Catalonia Playa Maroma from December 3-17, 2012. The group consisted of myself, my husband, our 8 month old son, and my in-laws flying in from Stockholm, Sweden, and then my parents coming from Vancouver, Canada. We had booked a charter package through Fritidsresor and my parents through Expedia.

We had booked Cancun Transfers ahead of time for a private van with a car seat, and they were there on time with a sign with our name on it. They also stopped at 711 for us to get some water on the way to the resort. We paid 60% on arrival and the rest when they picked us up to return to the airport. I would highly recommend them for airport transportation. The distance from the Cancun airport was about 45 minutes, which was much better than our previous trip to Bahia Principe, which was almost 2 hours! The dirt road leading to the resort was a bit bumpy for about 5 minutes, but tolerable.

When we had booked our trip, we had requested a room on the bottom floor because of the baby stroller, but when we checked in they did not have any rooms available for us on the ground floor with a king size bed, so we were on the top floor and had to carry the stroller up and down the stairs multiple times a day for 2 weeks. This was annoying but the only options were to change rooms mid way through the trip or pay for an upgrade. Since we had a lot of stuff, we did not want to move, so we kept the top floor room. They did put all of us in the same building, but not on the same floor or section. We found out later that they group the guests into the same building by nationality, so we were with the rest of the Scandinavians. The resort was full of Italians and French, who had their own sections and their own activities planned. I barely heard anyone speak English the whole time we were there!

The beach was amazing, perfect white sand, no rocks, and beautiful turquoise water. We tried snorkelling one day, but did not see anything. We went kayaking on days when it was not too wavy, and we also did trips on the catamaran, free of charge. We never had a problem finding beach or pool chairs in the shade, but we were always up early and were forced into playing the towel game because that is the only way to get a seat. The chairs on the beach were quite old and saggy, so we preferred the pool chairs as they were better for our backs. There is only one pool, but it is quite large. There were some loose tiles in one section, so we had to be careful not to step on them. The animation team had activities in the pool for most of the day, so it was not always quiet and peaceful if you wanted to relax by the pool.

The animation team was great, they work all day organizing games for the guests, and then do all the shows in the evenings. We became friends with Yulia and Jesus, they were super friendly. The other animators that were French and Italian just ignored us, and we later found out that they look at the color of your bracelet to find out what nationality you are and they only talk to the French or Italians. There were always lots of activities to participate in during the day, my husband played beach volleyball twice a day, everyday. The evening entertainment got a bit repetitive over the two weeks, it would have been nice to have some professional entertainers, not only to improve the quality of the shows, but also to give the animators a break. We did not spend any time in the lobby in the evenings because everyone was smoking and there was not really anywhere else to go. This resort definitely lacked in their options for evening entertainment.

The food at the buffet was decent, lots of options to choose from. They had different themes for the dinners every night. We discovered that you had to get the food while it was fresh, such as the grilled fish or meat, fresh omelettes, etc. Anything sitting there for awhile was awful. The salad bar was great, lots of veggie options, and lots of fresh fruit everyday. I enjoyed the fresh juices at breakfast as well. The service was lacking at the buffet, we had to wait a long time before anyone would serve us drinks and many times I would have to hunt someone down to get a spoon to feed the baby. Once we started tipping, the service improved.
The al a carte restaurants were great, the Mexican was my favourite, but we enjoyed all of them and went to each twice. The service was wonderful and the food was of much better quality than the buffet. On our last night we celebrated my father-in-laws 60th birthday and I had spoken to the concierge about getting him a cake, which they served to him at the steakhouse with sparklers and had written his name on the cake. They also decorated the room as a surprise for his birthday with a towel cake and flower petals on the bed, but since we have the same last name, they decorated our room instead of his by mistake!

There were only 2 bars on the whole resort, one at the lobby and one by the pool, which was very busy and you had to wait awhile to get served. They made great cappuccinos though, so it was worth the wait. They would laugh at us every time we ordered non-alcoholic drinks, which I found annoying. The crepe and ice cream place by the pool was great, but it was only one guy working there so it was a long wait as well. I think they need to put in more bars or have more staff as the ones who were working were really busy and running around, I felt bad for them, but it was also annoying to have to wait a long time for service.

The rooms were spacious and clean, the maids did a good and thorough job with cleaning. They missed one day in each of our rooms, so we had to call the front desk for fresh towels and water. We got towel art some days, not all. Our building was close to the pool, which was great when you have a baby. Unfortunately we could hear loud music from the Secrets resort next door until midnight, but luckily the baby slept through it. I did not like all the coatis on the main path between the pool and the lobby, they were always begging for food, and despite the signs saying not to feed them, many guests would feed them to take pictures, and sometimes the coatis would get violent and bite them. I didn't mind them if they kept their distance, but they would follow you if you had any food on you! However, the resort was very clean and the staff are working around the clock to keep the place clean, so I did appreciate that. We tipped as much as we could, and it was a shame that most of the other guests didn't tip, as I felt like the staff really deserve it.

I was disappointed at the distance from the resort to Playa Del Carmen, I thought it would be closer and cheaper to go there more often, it was about $20 each way for a cab, which was too much to go often. We went for an afternoon of shopping and loved 5th Avenue, I wish we could have gone more often.

Overall we really enjoyed our time together there as a family and the beach was the best any of us had been to. I would not return to this resort because I would want to go to a bigger resort with more options for nightlife and sightseeing. We had been to Bahia Principe for our honeymoon two years earlier and I prefer the options we had at that resort.

Room Tip: Top floor is less noisy, but there is no lift
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#100 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!