We stayed at the Catalonia Privileged Maroma from 1/29/13 through 2/5/13. We used Cancun Cab (Blue Oval) for our private transfers to and from the airport. These guys are great, always on time. Same price as a shared transfer and it just you, no extra stops.
Check in was painlesss and quick. We opted for the privileged upgrade which got you an updated room close to the pool and a few extras, well worth it. The room was very nice, clean, and everything worked great. What brought us here was the beach and ocean were suppose to be unreal. Well what I heard was correct, the beach and ocean are fantastic. Multi colored water, endless white sandy beach...WOW!!! The resort overall was nice, a bit dated but very nice. Its a long walk from the pool to the lobby area, but not too bad. The pool is small but nice, not heated so it can be a bit chilly at times. The food was average with a few really good dishes. One bad thing is breakfast is only served at the buffet next to the lobby, also they do not start serving dinner until 6:30 pm. I was told that they do this because of the extremely high number of Europeans who frequent this resort and apparently they do not eat until late. It was a bit strange that there were only a handful of english speaking at this resort. I would say there was probably about a dozen or so at the whole resort, so you did pick up on any english speaking people while you were there. It would be nice if they had more loungers at the pool, more than one mirror in the rooms, and a swing bar would be nice. There is no place to sit and relax at the bar next to the beach to get aquainted with the bartenders. They do have some nice couches and chairs overlooking the beach which were very nice.
The activities people were very nice. They went out of their way to mingle with the guests which was nice. Special thanks to Alice who was very nice and cordial to us while we were there. Good luck to you on your future!!! They did not push the activities on your nor was the music loud and annoying. The bartenders were fantastic. No issues at all with the quality, quantity, or potentcy of the drinks. Communication was not an issue either. They served top shelf liquors which my wife appreciated!! Overall I would probably return to this resort, mainly for the beach!! We did not have any issues with loungers at the pool or beach. The beach has tons of loungers as this is where most of the guests chose to locate. This is not a five star but was a nice resort. The food could use a little work but overall a very nice vacation!!!
Don't be concerned as you make your way off the highway to the resort. There is not a big fancy entrace to the resort. Its a bumpy potholed road back to the resort which had us a bit concerned about the quality of the resort but once we got there we were pleasantly surprised.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Playa Maroma is situated in the Mayan Riviera, at only 35 kilometers south of Cancun and 20 kilometers north of Playa del Carmen. Regarding to the Travel Channel, Playa Maroma is one of the most beautiful beaches of the world. The typical Mexican decoration with its vibrant colors and palapa roofs surrounded by the native jungle make this resort the perfect place to spend a wonderful vacation. The Mayan World has to offer a lot to its visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Catalonia Playa Maroma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Del Carmen
- Playa Maroma