“Nice at the end, rough at the beginning”

Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I've been meaning to write this review for months...My partner and I live in Brooklyn, NY and were looking for a quick getaway. We have been to Playa and Tulum 6+ times. We wanted a luxury property instead of the standard Tulum hotel. Following Andrew Harper's lead, we settled on Maroma. In all honesty, we booked through Amex with a one night free deal, selecting the cheapest room banking on a upgrade - it was the middle of May.

We rented a car and drove from the airport. My partner is from Mexico with relatives that live in Cancun, so we planned for his cousin to visit us at the hotel on the afternoon of our arrival. There are 2 or 3 checkpoints after you exit the highway until you get to the hotel. At each checkpoint, we informed the security that my partner's cousin would be visiting us for lunch. Additionally, at check-in, we informed the hotel that his cousin would be arriving shortly and we would be at the beach. After we had unpacked, we went to the beach awaiting his cousin's arrival. After being served a horrible margarita, my partner went to the bar and encountered the man who checked us in. He informed him that his cousin was at the entrance and the guests were strictly not allowed. They were holding her and her 3 year old son in the lobby like beggars. It was very strange. They began to inform us that it was hotel policy - no guests allowed. (Interestingly enough, the cousin is a local travel agent that works regularly with the hotel). The manager came over and said "I will make an exception because I know her (the cousin), but in the future you must ask permission and she is not allowed on the beach." My partner basically exchanged some unpleasant words and the cousin came and had lunch with us on the beach.

The point of the story is that we did inform everyone and we were all treated as if we were guests at their private home - did they not remember I was paying $600 a night? We spoke to the manager again and he kept informing us the Fergie stayed at the resort and that Fergie didn't want paparazzi, so they had to be very careful with non-guests (but he know my partner's cousin...she didn't have a camera). Basically, I felt as though if you are not Fergie you are nobody. On our last day, the check-in guy who wouldn't let my partner's cousin on the beach was at the hotel beach with his wife and kid...

Here is the real review:

Room: We were given an upgrade to a room that look at the beach bar and smelled musty. Based on the "Fergie" incident were were upgraded to a different - smaller room with a better view. We were in the original house and not in the separate section. Stay in the non-house part. That would be my recommendation.

Service: We stayed for 5 days. On the third day, things hit their stride. The first two days were painful on the beach - no waiters, no towels, no service. After complaining 2 consecutive days, the next days were perfect. Interestingly enough, we spoke with other couples who said the same thing. You have to give a couple days until the hotel gets into your groove. The dinner and breakfast service was shaky the first two days - I got up and served myself water. However, on the third day, they knew what we liked and had everything waiting for us and we didn't have to ask for a thing...Just know that if you sit on the beach away from the restaurant, it will take some time for the staff to know you are there and remember you like to sit there.

The beach: GORGEOUS

Spa: GORGEOUS

Food: Mediocre. You can basically order off any menu at any time. The dinner menu was the same all 5 nights. The breakfast menu was the same every day. I would have loved a menu of 4 or 5 items with different things each day rather than 15 of the same things each night. A side note: 1 Tamale was $30, Filet Mignon was $40...? The simpler the food, the better. Stick with the simple stuff and avoid the 'gourmet'. Their famous tortilla lady was only there 2 of our 5 days...

Overall, it ended well, but the manager and the front desk staff need a lot of work on issue resolution and policy enforcement and service.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the main house if you can help it.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nycalamode
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear nycalamode,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with me and with our Tripadvisor readers in regards to your recent experience in Maroma Resort and Spa. I encourage and
appreciate feedback from our guests as this provides me with important information that allows us to constantly improve our product and service. It saddens me to learn that you found your visit to be disappointing.

As General Manager of Maroma Resort and Spa, I personally have looked intoeach of the situations you encountered and would like for you to first, accept my apologies for the inconveniences encountered.

Next, concerning your comment on the less than acceptable experience with your cousin's visit, please know that we strive to preserve the intimacy and privacy of our guests, and thus find ourselves in situations were we must reinforce our privacy policy. Perhaps your visit coincided with that of the pop star Fergie, but regardless, the intimacy and privacy of all of our guests, including you, is primordial. For this reason, external visits, without reservations to any of our restaurants or Spa are not allowed, nevertheless, this situation could have been handled differently and for this, I apologize, it has not been our intention to make you feel less important nor, as you say "a nobody".

Concerning the lack of service you mention having been subject to, I have discussed this with our Food and Beverage team, having my Food and Beverage Director, personally make sure this situation does not repeat in the future. You and all of our guests are equally important to me. Therefore, you can rest assured corrective measures have been implemented in each area of opportunity you have mentioned and appreciate you having brought these matters to my attention.

I only hope to have the opportunity to erase this negative image of our little paradise in a future stay, at which time I will personally make sure you experience the true meaning of our Maroma Resort and Spa way of life.

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (1,229)

Reviewed September 14, 2013

The moment my husband and I stepped foot on the property we knew we were somewhere truly incredible. From the pristine beach, warm and inviting staff, breath taking views and beautiful suites, every detail had us never wanting to leave. Making the decision to have our wedding on the sands of Maroma beach was easy. Everyone made myself, my husband and our guests feel like they were visiting a home away from home. The service, the food, the overall experience was absolutely perfect. Aside from the amazing beach that the property is located on, there are peaceful pools to take a dip, a fitness center (if you can pull yourself away from Freddie’s Bar;), a tranquil spa, and marina to plan water adventures! My bridesmaids and I did a snorkel trip. So much fun! Overall our experience was truly special, a trip of a lifetime and unique to anything we had done before. Thank you Bety for all you did in making our trip one that we will never forget. We look forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: Honestly, you can't go wrong! We had an ocean view, but my parents garden view was also lovely.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amber K
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Amber,

We are delighted to read your kind comments and thank you so much for taking the time to share your review with our Trip Advisor readers, we are devoted to create meaningful and unforgettable experiences, and as you mention, Maroma Resort and Spa is your Mexican Family and we feel honored that you chose us for such an special milestone. You give us the motivation to keep on going and care for our little paradise. We truly appreciate your detailed description and we loved to read the word husband on your post!

On behalf of Maroma Family we wish you and your husband all the best for this new chapter in your life.

Please note that in this corner of the Mexican Caribbean, lies your private paradise and we look forward to celebrating your first anniversary with us!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We arrived as a family of four, coming straight from a direct long haul flight from London. We had 3 weeks of adventures in Mexico ahead of us, however our first need was a really nice hotel to recover from our jet lag. I think we all achieved this aim! The hotel feels like an oversized private home (or set of villas) extending along the pristine sands of Maroma Bay. There is definitely a homely relaxing vibe. We relaxed immediately. We stayed for three nights in the August low season and were very lucky to be upgraded to the very best suite in the hotel, overlooking the sea with a private plunge pool on the roof terrace. This was a perfect refuge from the heat and humidity during the middle of the day. Staff were very attentive, service was prompt and efficient. We sampled a cooking lesson (we now know the secrets of a good guacamole) and had a few good treatments at the spa.

All in all this is a top hotel.

If I have any observations tending to the critical, the hotel is very expensive (part of that dollar economy Cancun bubble). Prices for massage, lunch or dinner would really equal what you would pay in London or New York, or the pricier parts of the Caribbean. A longer stay here might have raised questions of value for money, compared to other top resorts and hotels we have sampled outside the Mayan Riviera. I would also recommend paying for a good sea view. By July or August, the rain and humidity can create a jungly feel in the garden areas and it was always good to sleep and wake up to a sea breeze. Finally more hotels have been built on Maroma Bay and the next door neighbours are large all inclusives. Although within the hotel there is a dreamy tropical beach feel, a walk along the beach shows just how developed this part of the coast is becoming.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank chrismcl
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear chrismcl,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are very happy to read that you and your beloved ones achieved to relax in our little paradise; we also aimed our mission with your gracious comment. As you mention, Maroma has a truly unique concept of a Mexican Hacienda with a Family home feeling that we care and protect. I am sure you will surprise your friends in your next dinner with your new guacamole skills!

We also thank you for spending your time to give us a straight and detailed feedback We are very grateful and take every criticism seriously, counting with only 63 rooms and a beach stretch of 327 meters, you can rest assured that our exclusivity will always remain the same. It
is the satisfaction of our guests our highest priority and it is not our intention to surprise our guest with high prices; Regarding the food, we have the highest standards of quality in products used in the preparation of dishes; prices for all our services are reviewed periodically and are determined based on market studies, ensuring we are in line with the prices offered by our competitors in the destination. I only hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our room was wonderful. Large, with a hot tub, a patio dipping pool, double shower, outdoor shower with privacy, domed ceiling over bedroom with fine brickwork, vaulted roof over living room, spacious front patio, a side patio, a gym room with exercise equipment with a nice wood floor complete with yoga mats. Coffee was left on a tray on a shelf outside our front door every morning. In the evening someone came and did the bed turn down and lit the numerous candles around the suite. The appointments were beautiful in the room. Two bathrooms with sinks etc. The grounds were lush and well cared for. The staff was very attentive and friendly. The Maroma has it's own beach. The food was excellent, probably the best guacamole I have ever tasted.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank mrrrrrrr
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear mrrrrrrr,

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic and incredibly detailed response!
It is our pleasure to acknowledge that we have helped you discover the authentic Mexican flavors and that we are now part of your best selection!
We are very thankful for the amazing location Maroma has, so we work as a team to maintain the beautiful balance between our grounds and our resort. We will make sure to share your kind comments with the Maroma Family.

We will be very pleased to hear that we will be welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Maroma is a hidden gem in the Cancun area. I recently planned and attended a wedding here and was floored by how helpful and accommodating the staff was. Despite impending rain, they made the guests, bride and groom, bridal party and vendors involved feel secure in knowing that there was a beautiful back up plan and that their staff would do everything in their power to keep the wedding festivities outdoors as planned. The rooms were spacious and the perfect blend of modern amenities with a an Old World feel. The entire resort was charming, comfortable and private. Truly a special place!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Andrea R
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Andrea R,

Thank you so much for your kind and helpful review for our bride-to-be readers!
Whether taking your vows, honeymooning, or celebrating an anniversary, we always try to add extra indulgence to the experience. We are so happy to read that they had a marvelous time, as for us every wedding is special and unique; mostly that evening, Mother Nature set us a challenge, but it finally gave us the gift of an amazing moon and ended in perfection with the touching speeches of the groomsmen and bridesmaids. We will make sure to share your kind comments with the Maroma Family.
We look forward to planning another exceptional wedding with you and having you back in the not too distant future!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a great high end, low key hotel / resort that is small enough to feel at home, but amenities big enough to call a resort. The complimentary breakfast is fantastic with fresh fruit, juices, and main course options to choose from that you may skip lunch. The grounds are beautiful and filled with native lizards, monkeys, and birds to make you feel like you are in a small jungle. The pools are divine, the beach front is breathtaking, and the staff is available for your every need. It's remote enough to feel like you are on an island, but only a 15 minute taxi to Playa Del Carmen where you can enjoy the nightlife and catch a ferry to Cozumel for a lovely day trip. If you prefer staying off the beaten path and a little remote than the city this is the place for you.

Room Tip: There are private rooms and large cabanas to accommodate large families / groups.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angelinaisabelle3

Dear Angelinaisabelle3,

Thank you so much for sharing your kind review and lovely description with our Trip Advisor readers, we truly appreciate it. We are always pursuing the creation of small touches and meaningful moments to delight our guest which are used to the highest standards and it makes us so happy to read that you had a marvelous time with us. As you mention, Maroma is surrounded by an exuberant and native tropical jungle that we protect and care painstakingly to ensure an experience that sits within the Mexican Culture, and this is found just as much inside Maroma as outside in its beautiful natural gardens. We look forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I (we are a gay couple) went here for our honeymoon five years ago, and it was a sublime experience. So we returned to celebrate our anniversary, and it was sublime again. The service is personal, yet professional. The staff, including waiters, made a point of learning our names, and calling us by name at breakfast, etc. The food is fantastic--breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The dining area outside is over-the-top romantic. It's just a beautiful place. We have stayed in two different suites, and they were both gorgeous. Really, there is not a single down side of this resort. Well, the first time there was a 'no children' policy, which we liked. This time there were children. I'd prefer it the other way. Anyway, it still is a very romantic place. Also, the fitness center is wonderfully equipped. And the grounds are lush--as if you're in a tropical rainforest.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jacqueline B
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Jacqueline,

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your lovely comments and also for choosing us for such a special occasion. We feel truly honored to know you and your wife had a fantastic time at our little Paradise. Please tell your friends about it! We work hard to try to exceed our guest expectations; from our commitment with the local communities to our sustainable actions like Preserving the endemic flora and fauna of the region by not modifying our gardens with ornamental plants, yet being able to maintain a balance in the beauty of nature, as you mention about our tropical gardens.Regarding our fitness center, we recently renovated it with state-of-the-art Kinesis Stations line from Technogym inside its120 sqm.

We look forward to welcoming you back here again and again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#4 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!