“Loved it, but.......”

GreenLeadersGold level
oakville
“Loved it, but.......”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Visited the Maroma last November and loved it - beautiful surroundings, great food, wonderful people, best beach on the coast. It was pure luxury and certainly worth the price. We were looking forward to a return trip, but now that the resort seems to be moving away from an adults only environment to "Family Friendly", we are reconsidering.

I love kids, I have kids.... but when you look for a vacation that includes romance and luxury, it doesn't include kids. I hope that the Maroma isn't moving too far away from what made it so special.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank m f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 16, 2013

this would get an excellent 5 out of 5 rating if it weren't for the small children.

i've been gone to maroma on several occasions over the past 4 years. when i originally started going, they didn't allow children, and maroma was a special place to relax and be pampered. with each consecutive visit since, there have been more and more children. on my last visit in may 2013, children were crying on the beach, dirty diapers changed on the beds and lounge chairs, and topless women nursing children over the age of 1. i am not a prude, but i don't want to hear your kid cry while i am relaxing in a $1000 per night room. i don't want to watch you change a dirty diaper next to me on the beach. and i don't want to watch your kid stand there screaming to latch onto your breast.

this is a romantic, beautiful place for couples and adult friends....not children. changing your policy will ultimately change who goes to maroma. remember....the children aren't spending money in the restaurant, bar and spa. you need to rethink your policy, or we won't be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
17 Thank youmustgohere
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Youmustgohere,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with me and with our TripAdvisor readers in regards to your recent experience in Maroma Resort and Spa. I encourage and appreciate feedback from our guests as this provides me with important information that allows us to constantly improve our product and service. It is the only way I can ensure we do not deviate from our goals of providing our loyal repeat guest, such as yourselves, with the attention and service you deserve.
I am sorry to learn that your experience in our little paradise was not what you expected as a result of the number of children on property. Our policy did change since January 2011; we are welcoming children to experience our Maroma way of life with their parents.I can assure you this was a unique situation, as in the past years since we started with this policy, we had never had so many children on property, especially over this period. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences encountered.
I understand how important is for you to relax and would very much appreciate having the opportunity of erasing this negative experience should you consider giving us a chance to make up for this situation. I would be happy to suggest dates in which you would not encounter the presence of so many children. On the other hand, if you have children of your own family members with children, with whom you would like to share your tiny piece of heaven with, I would be happy to assist you with your reservations.

Federico Echaiz
Managing Director
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 15, 2013

It really is difficult to explain what makes this place so special. The location is beautiful. The beach is just perfect. The food is fresh and delicious. The service is unbeatable. They do an amazing job at meeting your needs, being friendly, yet they're not too overbearing. The hotel is gorgeous and feels very authentic. They've really found the formula of how to make you relax and enjoy a place with all of the amenities. Yet, you feel like you're in an authentic mexican villa. I can't say enough good things about it. My fiance and I absolutely loved the place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Michael,

Thank you very much for choosing Maroma Resort and Spa for your stay and for the time you took while sharing your great experience with all Trip Advisor's readers.

We are more than glad to know that you enjoyed every single detail of this memorable experience.

Looking forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to your paradise home, away from home.

Federico Echaiz
Managing Director
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I had heard good things. I agree with most of the reviewers...property is amazing and lush. The spa is fantastic (ask for Sarah for a massage). Hotel transportation to and from the airport is a must...they meet you with cold water and cold towels....it's great! The beach is very clean and they don't allow people to sell anything in front of the hotel which is nice. All of the activities we booked through the hotel were perfect and the taxi they ordered us a few times was great as well. The food is good....the Mexican food specifically and the breakfast. The other items are so-so...traditional hotel fare...and very overpriced...$22 burger, $14 guacamole, $20 bottled water at dinner. Appetizers are $10-$12, main courses around $40. Margaritas are great...ask for victor at the bar...other mixed drinks are just ok.

The beach is gorgeous but getting any type of service out there is almost impossible unless you are in front of the bar (which is loud). 2we ended up just going in to order food and eating at the restaurant. We had a clogged drain from day 1 and despite repeated calls and requests...no one ever came to look at it. For $600/night...someone should at least humor you. There is no food or drink service at the pools. This is not an adults only hotel...there were a lot of screaming kids running around. They werent doing any of the theme nights while we were there which was really disappointing for us. The menu gets old after a few days. Quite a few times we asked about the specials and were told one thing...and something completely different showed up. Some people knew everyone's name which was really nice..but others (especially the waiters on the beach) seemed annoyed and literally rolled their eyes.

The coffee in the morning is great and we called a few times to change the time and they had it in our room in 10 minutes. I agree with other posters that you definitely don't want a room on the first floor and I would recommend it face the ocean. We had perfect weather in June...no rain.

Bring bug spray...they have some for you but it doesn't work well. We left with literally 100s of bites. It isn't a problem on the beach or if you use the screens in the room...but in the jungle part of the resort or off site for activities. I am sure this is obvious to most people...but I didn't expect the bugs and there is obviously little the hotel can do about it...it is actually much worse in other areas than at the hotel.

It is a great location...gorgeous resort. It's just not exactly what you would expect for a 5 star and for the money you pay. Check in was Very efficient...check out...not so much. We had a couple of questions on charges that we hadn't made and the response was pretty much...people never question us on the bill. It's not the worst we have ever stayed in...but certainly not the best.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Flowers1432
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Was fortunate to stay here for a week in May 2013.

Arrived after dark to find the hotel and grounds magically lit by over a 1000 candles. The location is stunning, a beautiful white sand beach and turquoise sea with a reef just off shore.

Welcome was excellent and check in flawless. We were shown to our room, am ocean view suite, one of the best rooms I've ever stayed in. Roomy sitting are with a great ocean and beach view, lovely bedroom and spacious bathroom with bath and open plan shower.

There are three nice pools but why use them when you have the ocean on your doorstep. We tried the spa and that was lovely, friendly staff and a nice plunge pol, sauna and steam room.

The food here is great, from the inclusive breakfast with fresh fruit, yoghurt, great coffee and a wide choice of hot options with a mexican twist. Dinner was next to the ocean, a good choice on the menu, well cooked and beautifully presented. An extensive wine list with many expensive bottles but some good cheaper ones too. One evening there was a buffet style beach barbecue which was particularly impressive followed by a fire on the beach to sit around.

The staff were courteous and friendly, nothing was ever too much trouble.

All in all I cant recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: Ocean view
Glencoe, Illinois
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I'm posting again for new people:

Maroma is my home away from home! I have been there 40+ times: I have a private bar chair at Freddy's & my own suite (65), which you all can use, when I'm not there.

Maroma is an unbelievable destination, which I call my home!

What's important is that all of Maroma's staff will treat you like family! Anything that you want; they will make available. They are incredible people: From Gardeners, Hospitality, Maid Service, Room Service, Beach, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner & so on.

Maroma & all it's staff is family to me: I think that being there 40+ times says something!

Federico Echais (GM) & his staff will take great care of you!!

Normally, I go 6-8 times per year; this year, I have physical issues & have been only 2 times to date. I will rally & be back 2-3 times in the fall.

If & when, you go to Maroma; mention Arnie, it will make your stay incredible!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in May 2010. It is definitely one of the best hotels either of us have ever been to and we are always talking about going back. It's truly a special place that can't be described. Every night we were greeted with 1000's of candles lit around the property, the beds on the beach are amazing, and you don't have to worry about getting a spot or dealing with towels like some of the other large resorts. The breakfast was amazing, with a little woman who makes fresh tortillas. My advice, rent a car though, so you have the flexibility to go into Playa. Its about a 15-20 minute drive.

1 Thank Tlstar14
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Rosewood Mayakoba
Rosewood Mayakoba
#1 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!