“Paradise”

Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 15, 2013

It really is difficult to explain what makes this place so special. The location is beautiful. The beach is just perfect. The food is fresh and delicious. The service is unbeatable. They do an amazing job at meeting your needs, being friendly, yet they're not too overbearing. The hotel is gorgeous and feels very authentic. They've really found the formula of how to make you relax and enjoy a place with all of the amenities. Yet, you feel like you're in an authentic mexican villa. I can't say enough good things about it. My fiance and I absolutely loved the place.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Michael,

Thank you very much for choosing Maroma Resort and Spa for your stay and for the time you took while sharing your great experience with all Trip Advisor's readers.

We are more than glad to know that you enjoyed every single detail of this memorable experience.

Looking forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to your paradise home, away from home.

Federico Echaiz
Managing Director

There are newer reviews for Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I had heard good things. I agree with most of the reviewers...property is amazing and lush. The spa is fantastic (ask for Sarah for a massage). Hotel transportation to and from the airport is a must...they meet you with cold water and cold towels....it's great! The beach is very clean and they don't allow people to sell anything in front of the hotel which is nice. All of the activities we booked through the hotel were perfect and the taxi they ordered us a few times was great as well. The food is good....the Mexican food specifically and the breakfast. The other items are so-so...traditional hotel fare...and very overpriced...$22 burger, $14 guacamole, $20 bottled water at dinner. Appetizers are $10-$12, main courses around $40. Margaritas are great...ask for victor at the bar...other mixed drinks are just ok.

The beach is gorgeous but getting any type of service out there is almost impossible unless you are in front of the bar (which is loud). 2we ended up just going in to order food and eating at the restaurant. We had a clogged drain from day 1 and despite repeated calls and requests...no one ever came to look at it. For $600/night...someone should at least humor you. There is no food or drink service at the pools. This is not an adults only hotel...there were a lot of screaming kids running around. They werent doing any of the theme nights while we were there which was really disappointing for us. The menu gets old after a few days. Quite a few times we asked about the specials and were told one thing...and something completely different showed up. Some people knew everyone's name which was really nice..but others (especially the waiters on the beach) seemed annoyed and literally rolled their eyes.

The coffee in the morning is great and we called a few times to change the time and they had it in our room in 10 minutes. I agree with other posters that you definitely don't want a room on the first floor and I would recommend it face the ocean. We had perfect weather in June...no rain.

Bring bug spray...they have some for you but it doesn't work well. We left with literally 100s of bites. It isn't a problem on the beach or if you use the screens in the room...but in the jungle part of the resort or off site for activities. I am sure this is obvious to most people...but I didn't expect the bugs and there is obviously little the hotel can do about it...it is actually much worse in other areas than at the hotel.

It is a great location...gorgeous resort. It's just not exactly what you would expect for a 5 star and for the money you pay. Check in was Very efficient...check out...not so much. We had a couple of questions on charges that we hadn't made and the response was pretty much...people never question us on the bill. It's not the worst we have ever stayed in...but certainly not the best.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Flowers1432
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Was fortunate to stay here for a week in May 2013.

Arrived after dark to find the hotel and grounds magically lit by over a 1000 candles. The location is stunning, a beautiful white sand beach and turquoise sea with a reef just off shore.

Welcome was excellent and check in flawless. We were shown to our room, am ocean view suite, one of the best rooms I've ever stayed in. Roomy sitting are with a great ocean and beach view, lovely bedroom and spacious bathroom with bath and open plan shower.

There are three nice pools but why use them when you have the ocean on your doorstep. We tried the spa and that was lovely, friendly staff and a nice plunge pol, sauna and steam room.

The food here is great, from the inclusive breakfast with fresh fruit, yoghurt, great coffee and a wide choice of hot options with a mexican twist. Dinner was next to the ocean, a good choice on the menu, well cooked and beautifully presented. An extensive wine list with many expensive bottles but some good cheaper ones too. One evening there was a buffet style beach barbecue which was particularly impressive followed by a fire on the beach to sit around.

The staff were courteous and friendly, nothing was ever too much trouble.

All in all I cant recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: Ocean view
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I'm posting again for new people:

Maroma is my home away from home! I have been there 40+ times: I have a private bar chair at Freddy's & my own suite (65), which you all can use, when I'm not there.

Maroma is an unbelievable destination, which I call my home!

What's important is that all of Maroma's staff will treat you like family! Anything that you want; they will make available. They are incredible people: From Gardeners, Hospitality, Maid Service, Room Service, Beach, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner & so on.

Maroma & all it's staff is family to me: I think that being there 40+ times says something!

Federico Echais (GM) & his staff will take great care of you!!

Normally, I go 6-8 times per year; this year, I have physical issues & have been only 2 times to date. I will rally & be back 2-3 times in the fall.

If & when, you go to Maroma; mention Arnie, it will make your stay incredible!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in May 2010. It is definitely one of the best hotels either of us have ever been to and we are always talking about going back. It's truly a special place that can't be described. Every night we were greeted with 1000's of candles lit around the property, the beds on the beach are amazing, and you don't have to worry about getting a spot or dealing with towels like some of the other large resorts. The breakfast was amazing, with a little woman who makes fresh tortillas. My advice, rent a car though, so you have the flexibility to go into Playa. Its about a 15-20 minute drive.

1  Thank Tlstar14
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Simply put you must come here. As each day went by during our 5 night stay we tried to unravel the magic that is Maroma. The beach, the food, the hotel, the spa all the little details where an experience to be had, but the true allure where not the material things they were the people. The staff and hospitality are truly exceptional and make the entire experience, well an experience. I have traveled to may luxury locations and resorts and although very nice none have had the culture and roots that I felt at Maroma. It’s a place that has fairytale history that can be experienced throughout every aspect of the hotel. For months I looked at reviews and pictures before making my reservation and I can truly say as the title states, Maroma cannot be described with words or pictures.

The Hotel

It has a very rustic and hacienda style feeling as you arrive. The rooms are not extravagant and luxurious they are rather cozy and inviting. The homemade organic soaps were my favorite. No TV was just fine.

Some of the things not mentioned on the website are TV rooms, Cigar Lounge, Pool Table, and outdoor and indoor restaurants, also the outdoor bar where all a very nice surprise. The spa also had a very nice Steam room and Sauna which I used almost every day. The Gym was excellent with quality new equipment.

The Food

I am a major Foodie and Maroma had a lot of the “best I’ve ever had dishes”. How about

Fresh Ceviche, Guacamoles with bbq’s grasshoppers, oysters, Lobster Enchiladas, Lobster Fettuccini, Veal Milanese (WOW), Grilled Octopus, Fresh fish, Enough said.

The complimentary breakfast was a full menu with different specials every day. Fresh bread, homemade yogurt, fruit, and juices, and the best hot chocolate I’ve ever had, tip: Ask La Tia to make you a Quesadilla with Chorizo, then add some of their homemade salsa (WOW).

Budget: Lunch and Dinner are not cheap and with the almost 26% added in taxes and service charges your tab can climb in a hurry, but at the end of the day you truly get what you pay for.

The Spa

Great facilities especially the Sauna and Steam room area. The messages I would rate as average and a bit expensive but I only had one treatment so this may not be a fair assessment. The facial was incredible.

The Beach

Private white sand beach with turquoise blue water all to yourself…Enough said.

The Service

Perhaps the best that Maroma has to offer. The staff is great, you get the feeling that everyone loves their job and they really make you feel like family. Special thanks to Victor and Johnny at Freddy’s bar great guys! Marco, Raul, Elsa, La Tia, Alfonso, and El Capitan Antonio Cantu it was an inspiration to watch you at work. Thank you

If you are looking to disconnect and recharge your mind Maroma is the perfect get away. You will leave refreshed and inspired.

If I had to point out one negative it would be that I never want to visit any other place. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My review might not be the best to go off of. When we missed the last flight out to Cabo we were stuck at the airport with no where to go. Having been to Playa Del Carmen before and its short flight from Houston we quickly changed our plans. We were left with 20 minutes to book our hotel before our flight left. We have stayed at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba before and liked it but wanted to stay somewhere different. We tried to book the Rosewood Mayakoba but they were completely booked for one of our nights. I stumbled across Maroma on Tripadvisor and within 5 minutes we had our beach front suite & driver booked!

Before I get into the pros/cons I need to mention that we were supposed to be in Cabo - staying at Capella Pedregal. If you have not been to Cabo and stayed at Capella - please do yourself a favor and book it ASAP! It is our most favorite mexican vacation spot! I won't go into details about Capella since this is not a review on Capella but I feel the need to note that this review is a bit biased because we had another place in mind when we showed up.

Pros/Cons:
1.) This hotel is RIGHT on the beach. Several other hotels in Playa Del Carmen you have to ride bikes or go carts to get to the beach. It was nice to step outside our room and walk just a few yards and be on the beach. Water was very pretty, limited seaweed that they did pick up everyday.
2.) They had "theme nights" for dinner. Thursday was "Taco Night" by one of their pools. Friday was a "BBQ" at the beach (it started to rain and they had to semi move it inside for a bit but still really nice.) Saturday night - I forgot what night this was as we had to leave early but there was something else planned. This made it fun and different. More on the food - food was really good. We honestly didn't have anything bad. It is expensive - but expected. Drinks - their wine list is great and extensive. However - their mixed drinks down by the beach need major work. We must have tried 10 different drinks and did not have a single one we liked.
3.) Our room was great. I believe we stayed in a 1 bedroom suite with a small but separate living room. Comfy bed/pillows. Our room had 2 a/c units and 2 fans which was nice. Bathroom was plenty spacious. The only negative - no tv. I know who goes on vacation to watch tv - but it helps us to fall asleep! You can rent a tv and movies - so no big deal. Also, the bathroom was always hot - it never got cold like the rest of the room - also, not a big deal. I love how they brought (coffee/tea/hot chocolate/whatever you want) every morning - we asked them to deliver by 7 and most days we were up by 6-6:30 and our coffee & paper were already outside our door - nice touch!
4.) We had 2 really nice massages. Great spa environment! Could not recommend more - wish we could have gone every day!
5.) The hotel is small - more of boutique hotel. It has more of an authentic mexican feel. The grounds are not as well manicured & lush as we would have liked.
6.) Everyone who works at Maroma is GREAT! They greet you by your name and you can tell that they truly enjoy what they do! We really enjoyed getting to know several people - moses & humberto just to name a few. One morning we were having breakfast and noticed the beach chairs were starting to fill up - my finance went down to snag 2 chairs. Our waiter ran down there with a book to secure our spots - it is little thoughtful things like that they make this resort such a gem!
7.) The only negative thing I have to say is the beach service does not match other resorts. Nor does it really match the service you get else where throughout the resort. At Capella/Banyan Tree/Las Ventanas/etc you do not have to ever move a muscle. If you want your beach chair moved - there is someone right around the corner to do it for you, if you want another towel - there is someone their with one, if you want a drink - they are there. At maroma this was different - they appeared to need more staff on the beach. We consistently had to move our own umbrellas - which we are not too good to do ourselves - but they are heavy and there is a trick to getting them just right. Also, there were several times when we wanted a drink or some food and couldnt find anyone to flag down! Not that we are too good to get off our lazy butts and go to the bar and get our own drinks...but still. We are used to received such great beach service at several other resorts that maroma just fell flat.

We honestly enjoyed our stay at Maroma. Once we got it out of our heads that we were not at Capella we could appreciate everything! Yes, the weather is hott! and yes, this resort is expensive but if you have the money - go! :)

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on a higher floor - not ground level as there isn't that much privacy.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Rosewood Mayakoba
Rosewood Mayakoba
#1 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!