El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
$587
Bookit.com
$575
Agoda.com
Amarte Hotel(Playa Maroma)(Great Value!)
$75
$68
Kin Sol Soleil(Playa Maroma)
$700
$377
$682
$466
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Paraiso Maya(Playa Paraiso)
$327
Hotels.com
$347
$305
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Paraiso Beach(Playa Paraiso)(Great Value!)
$320
$222
  • Breakfast included
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar(Playa Paraiso)(Great Value!)
$408
$222
  • Breakfast included
Catalonia Playa Maroma(Playa Maroma)
No availability for your dates from our partners
4,402 results
All reviewslima limoncaribbean grillpedro luisrick's baroutdoor showerinfinity pool suitemi hotelitobeach butlerperuvian restaurantexotic membersman made islandhoneymoon suitebeach bedssmall resortsky massagebreakfast and lunchrueben
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 16, 2009

We read a lot of reviews before we arrived and knew not to expect anything fancy when we drove up to the main entrance - not that it would have mattered, we were coming there for the beach and some R&R anyhow. The lobby is simple but efficient and the staff are the best we have ever dealt with! Their English is terrific (which we are thankful for since over the past 9 years we still have not learned Spanish as many times as we promised ourselves we would), even the cleaning staff spoke very well. The rooms are beautiful and the beds are so comfortable, this is the first time in over 9 years I have actually slept a full night in Mexico because everywhere else I've stayed (including El Dorado Royale and Seaside) the beds have been too hard! The beach is one of the best we have ever encountered, only comparable to Varadero, Cuba which is more spectacular. It's always clean and the ocean is very calm in the bay El Dorado Maroma is in. There is the Marina next door and although with all of the boats and motorcraft around you would think it would disturb everyone along the beach but I must say we hardly noticed them unless we walked down to that area. The food was good, won't say great but out of the three El Dorado's it's the best. However, do NOT order the 5 spice Duck in the Asian restaurant - it's scary or the Shrimp Tempura plate either unless you are looking to have a heart attack on deep fried EVERYTHING. Besides those two dishes the food was really nice - make sure you try your room service too! It's included in your stay and you can still go to a restaurant after if you're still hungry. The grounds are very nicely kept, keep in mind that typical Mexican smell is there just as it is at every resort in Mexico - some days worse than others but you get used to it. It's a very relaxing resort. All of the vacationers we encountered were very pleased not to have to fight for a chair around the pool or umberella on the beach because there was more than enough. The staff were present but never bothersome, we would walk the 3km to the front gate from the main reception everyday, the bell man Gabriel would wish us well on our way out (I think he would call up to the gate to tell them to watch for us in case a gator got us or something) then we would walk the 3km back and each way the staff would offer us a ride one way or the other just because they are lovely people! All in all we can't say enough about how enjoyable this place is - I considered not writing a review so I can keep this my little secret in paradise but I figure everyone should have the chance to be pampered.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LDinTO
Reviewed November 12, 2009

Spent a couple of days at El Dorado Maroma with my boyfriend and it was by far the most romantic experience we've ever shared. We weren't celebrating a honeymoon or anniversary or even a birthday like the other couples, we planned the trip for a quick change of scenery and to disconnect. Upon arriving we were greeted with champagne and a friendly staff. Our suite had an infinity pool on the balcony and the jacuzzi tub was already filled with bubbles and rose petals. We enjoyed a 5 course authentic Mexican gourmet dinner Sabores restaurant complete with Mariachis and sombreros. My favorite part was dessert and between the 2 of us we ordered (and finished) the 3 that were on the menu. The food was amazing, and since it is all inclusive it was weird to leave the table without paying a check, but we definitely got used to the feeling after our second meal. On our second day we went snorkeling at Maroma Marina, which is right next door. The tour was reasonably priced and super fun despite the choppy water that day. I liked that the marina was next door unlike the other couples that had to arrange transportation back to their hotels. Definitely recommend El Dorado Maroma for a romantic vacation, we are already planning to come back next year!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank alejrocha
Reviewed October 31, 2009

My husband and I spent 4 nights at the El Dorado Maroma to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Before arriving at the El Dorado Maroma, we spent 3 nights at the El Dorado Royale and I wrote a separate review on our stay there. We travelled with another couple who are good friends of ours.

Our transfers through Lomas Travel picked us up promptly at noon and when we arrived at the El Dorado Maroma, which is 10 minutes south of the El Dorado Royale, we were greeted with chilled scented face cloths and a glass of sparkling wine. We had booked Swimup Jacuzzi Jr. Suites and were offered a complimentary upgrade to the Honeymoon Suite. They offered to show us both rooms and let us decide which room we wanted after seeing both. Although the Honeymoon Suite was beautiful with an incredible view of the resort and the ocean, we didn’t want to have to walk up the flights of steps to get to our room and preferred the convenience of the Swimup Suites.

Wow – the rooms were beautiful and large! There was plenty of closet space with a safe, but it would have been more convenient to have a combination lock on the safe rather than a key.

There was a Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, a toilet in a separate room, a glass enclosed shower with a separate door leading out to the Aguas del Amour shower (private outdoor shower). The water pressure here was good and we used this shower during our entire stay. For some reason, the floor of the indoor shower would get wet every time we used the outdoor shower and we couldn’t figure out how the water was getting into the indoor shower. There was also a double sink vanity in the bathroom but no drawers or cabinets to put our things in. I found that to be very inconvenient to have to keep my things in a suitcase on the floor because there was no place to put anything.

Our room also had a small table and two chairs with a bowl of fresh fruit and there was a living room area with two small sofas. Our sliding glass door led to our terrace where there was a comfortable bed and pillows, and two chairs. The only thing missing was a ceiling fan which would have been wonderful to make it a little more comfortable to sit out there. The patio did get slippery when it was wet so we had to be careful. We always felt completely safe in keeping our back door open slightly when we went into the pool. If we closed it all the way it would lock automatically and we were told that everybody keeps them open a little.

The water in the lazy river was very warm. We loved the convenience of being able to step into the water and swim to the main pool. The landscaping at this resort was so beautiful!

The size of this resort made it the perfect place to get to know some of the other guests because we saw them every day, and we loved the atmosphere of this resort. While we loved staying at the El Dorado Royale, we felt that it was just too large to get around to the restaurants by having to take golf carts everywhere and the El Dorado Maroma really suited us.

There are two pools at the El Dorado Maroma, the “quiet pool” and the main pool, and they both had swimup bars. The bartenders were excellent and would make you anything you wanted. Every day there was a new drink special. There was a table by the quiet pool where two local girls were selling beautiful hand-painted items and I brought a couple of pieces home with me. There was a small gift shop at the resort but I didn’t buy anything there.

Maroma beach was beautiful. We swam in the water for awhile but I can’t comment on the beach butler service because we didn’t stay on the beach for long. We did see the beach butlers walking around constantly bringing people drinks, etc.

One of my favorite things about the El Dorado Maroma was the daily lunches they prepared on the beach. Every day was a different theme – Mexican, fish market, bbq, paella, etc.

The day after we arrived, a wedding group came and some of the people were being really loud, even bringing a radio with them and playing it by the pool. They announced that they were there for a wedding and even apologized in advance for their behavior because they planned to be loud. The hotel management was really good about talking to them and asking them to respect the other guests.

My husband and I had scheduled a sky massage in one of the over water bungalows. It turned out to be a big disappointment. There was hammering and sawing noise that could be heard from the nearby marina, noise from waiters that were setting up tables and dinnerware for the candlelight dinner on the beach, and some of the people from the wedding group were being really loud in the quiet pool which is a couple of yards away from where the massages were being done. I think the massage would have been wonderful were it not for all the noise distractions.

Since it was our 20th anniversary, my husband and I also had scheduled a candlelight dinner on the beach. We specifically requested two separate tables at the same time for us and our friends, but when we got there, they had a table for 4 set up. We told them that we requested two separate tables, so my husband and I were brought to another table for two on the beach. It was really windy on the beach and we would have preferred to be seated at one of the tables that had some of the shades that provide shelter from the wind.

There is really not much in the way of nightlife at the El Dorado Maroma. We went to Rick’s Bar one night but it was pretty quiet. They had a pool table, a bar and a couple of seating areas. They played a game show called “Bonk” and my husband and girlfriend participated. My friend won a bottle of wine.

We really enjoyed meeting the people that work at the El Dorado Maroma, especially Katarina and Gaby. Everyone that worked here was so friendly, and no matter who you walked by (gardeners, maids, waiters), they always said “hola”.

We had read about a local guy, Captain Memo (memmo), from other people who posted reviews about him on Trip Advisor. He takes people out on his sailboat for a private snorkeling tour and it sounded like a good deal so we tried to find him. We walked for about a mile down the beach and saw what we thought was his sailboat in the water but he was nowhere to be found. It didn’t look like we would be able to find him so we started to head back to our hotel. While walking back down the beach, we passed a guy carrying a water bottle on his shoulder so we asked him if he knew where we could find Captain Memo – it turned out to be him! We spoke to him for a few minutes and arranged for him to take us sailing the next day. We were so glad we did. What a nice guy he is! I’m really not that good at snorkeling and as soon as Captain Memo sensed that I was having trouble, he quickly came over to me, took me by the hand and had me snorkel alongside him until I felt comfortable. He explained how it’s much better to snorkel in a smaller group rather than going out on the boats that take 60-80 people because it scares all the fish away and you get a much better experience in a smaller group. He was so knowledgeable about the area and we really enjoyed listening to his stories and spending our time with him. He charged $35 per person and it was well worth it! He has snorkeling equipment on his boat for guests to use. I posted pictures of him and his sailboat.

We had an incredible time on this trip! I would highly recommend the El Dorado Maroma if you’re looking for a romantic, low-key experience in a beautiful environment with top notch service and food. This is definitely someplace I hope to be able to return to again one day!

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
10  Thank SunsationalVacations
Reviewed October 29, 2009

We stayed here at the end of January 2009. I'm a little late posting my review because I thought all of Mexico was this good. Boy, was I wrong!

This hotel & the staff go above & beyond to make sure you have the vacation of your dreams.
The beach beds are a delight! They have them at the pool & at the ocean. There is never any worry about hoping you can get one because they are everywhere. We would take a nap everyday listening to the ocean.
Towels - you don't need no stinkin towel card. Lots of fresh, fluffy towels!
Wristband - what wristband - they know who you are. The always have a smile & an "Hola!"
The room service is amazing! Every time we thought that we found the best thing on the menu we would try something different & that would be our new favorite.
The beds are so comfortable & the layout of the room was perfect. You could look out the sliding glass doors & watch everything.
The patio bed was out of this world - I spent many hours laying there, reading, watching & sleeping.
This was my very favorite vacation & I will definitely be back as soon as possible.
Email me if you have any questions.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank lastpenny
Reviewed October 28, 2009

Staff is amazing, after one week we knew they by name, great beach, great snorkeling & at the marina next to the resort, they offer fishing, sailing, diving, etc, our group dove & went on the atv's in the combo w/ jet skis deal which was a good value. The resort location is nice, 20 minutes to Playa & you have a ton of beach to yourself, the water is very calm due to the reef off the coast from the resort extending in both directons up & down the beach. They offer many great drinks & food, we ordered items from room service that we not on the menu but were offered at the Sabores restaurant & it was always delivered faster than they promise- great staff- great beach-great food...rooms nice but views vary dramatically. Mi Hotelito rooms without infinity pool are a good value- they are charming- many have peak-a-boo ocean views, are close to the beach and pool and bar, this is the way to go unless you can be sure you have an infinity pool room with a good view- building 3, 4, 5 all rooms are good, building 6, 7 & 8 are better on floors 3 & 4. All groundfloor rooms are nice but wont have a view, but you can swim up to the main pool.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family