“Great honeymoon”

GreenLeadersGold level
Fort Worth, Texas
“Great honeymoon”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon. We stayed six nights in an infinity pool suite, thanks to Jennifer Carr of Tropical Travelers who help us get set up! She was great to work with for our wedding and our honeymoon. Our room and view was great! The beach was fantastic and the service outstanding. Oscar was our waiter many mornings and lunches at Papitos on the beach. We had 3 options for dinner, which was limiting and they were changing the menu halfway through our stay which also threw us off. No food beats Tex-Mex so we didn't care for the Mexican food but the Asian cuisine and Italian were great. This was a very low-key and relaxing hotel for a honeymoon.

We received a few benefits for our honeymoon package, but weren't fond of the "private" candlelight dinner. There were 3 other couples around us and it was pretty dark and windy. The whole dinner took over 2 hours to be served. The food was just okay for the privare dinner. We did not receive champagne on arrival, nor did we get a decorated suite like our package promised, but overall we enjoyed just being honeymooners.

Luiz with Lomas Travel also set up a deep sea fishing adventure for the two of us which was the most awesome experience! Highly recommend doing this if you have the $$. Our guides were patient and we ended up with a mahi mahi, 2 barracudas, a white marlin, and a sailfish!

We had great weather the first 4 days/nights and only had 2 days of rain, but we relaxed in our room and at the pool cabana bar and played games. The activity coordinators did a great job of getting everyone involved and making sure no one gets bored. Overall, we had an excellent honeymoon and we are ready to make another trip! :)

4 Thank Lisa K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,153)
  • Czech first
PA, USA
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Just returned from 5 nights at El Dorado Maroma. Wonderful experience. The food is great, especially liked the Italian restaurant for dinner, and Papaitas for breakfast and lunch--fresh and varied options all the way around. The resort is beautiful from the pools to the beach to the rooms. But the best part are the people. Outstanding service that felt genuine and personal. Highly recommend El Dorado Maroma and hope to return one day.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms have good views of ocean through the tops of the palm trees. Nice!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank paishaPa_Usa
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 5, 2014

What a treasure this resort is. Located on a truly spectacular stretch of beach. Stunning. The El Dorado Maroma is a smaller boutique resort designed for those that want the best in life and want a quiet relaxing vacation experience. Accommodations are lovely and the hospitality is second to none. Incredibly personable staff. I love when you arrive, they greet you and "welcome you home" ( wouldn't that be a great place to call home) My husband and I have been here a number of times and have experienced all levels of the accommodation. Never disappointed. Would definitely return and definitely recommend to others. A must to experience this lifestyle.

Room Tip: All level of accommodations are wonderful however rooms closer to the beach with a beach front view...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Laurielee2013
SugarLand, TX
Reviewed June 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed at El Dorado Maroma May 28-June1 for our 40th anniversary. We were in Room 421 - an infinity pool suite on the third floor. Prior to our arrival I e-mailed the resort to confirm that they could accommodate our gluten free diet (medically necessary, not just for the heck of it). The person I e-mailed, Grecia, appeared during check in with Chef Raul in tow. He explained that they would do everything possible to provide us with delicious gluten free meals during our stay. Every time we arrived at a restaurant the hostess asked if there were any food allergies and we told them we were gluten free. The waiters were alerted and everyone of them understood what that entailed. If they had a question they went to the chef. We did not get any of those blank stares we get from waiters at home. I can definitely say the food was gluten free. If it had not been I would have been sick the entire trip.

The staff is the friendliest we have ever encountered. They are also very professional. From the "Welcome Home" that greeted us on arrival to the constant stream of "Hola" every day from every person we passed, we were always greeted with a smile from management down to the gardeners. The room was spotless and everything was in working order. The room was made up while we were at breakfast and turned down after we arrived back from dinner. We loved the outdoor shower. I found the bed on the patio very comfortable. I woke up very early one morning and couldn't go back to sleep.So as not to disturb my husband I took my kindle outside to read. I ended up falling asleep after only reading about 4 pages and slept outside for nearly 4 hours.
Our meals were delicious. We ate at the Mexican restaurant twice, Italian once and the Asian restaurant once. Our favorite was the Mexican restaurant. During our stay they changed both the Mexican lunch and dinner menus. The food on both menus was excellent and the presentations were spectacular. The night we ate at the Italian restaurant the waiter brought the chef to the table to discuss the varieties of GF pasta available. The chef personally delivered each course. We had a great meal. While we were eating our Italian dinner, Chef Carlos made us special gluten free desserts. He baked a banana bread muffin and a carrot cake muffin. They were piping hot from the oven and were delicious.
We had breakfast and lunch our first full day at Pepitos, but I was not thrilled with Pepitos. It seem crowded around the small buffet area and the GF choices were limited. We discovered breakfast and lunch at Sabores and ate there each day for the rest of the trip. We loved having lunch under the palapa. The fajita style tacos arrechara were especially good.

We had several favorite waiters including Francisco at dinner in the Mexican restaurant. We had him the first night. Even though we had a different waiter the second night he kept an eye on us and kept the wine refilled and cleared plates while our waiter was occupied. We had great service at several meals from Israel in Sabores. We really enjoyed Fulgencio Nahuat. He helped me set up photos of the magnificent food so that I could post them on Facebook. Our last day it was raining and we had a nice long lunch in Sabores while being waited on hand and foot by Fulgencio, Jose and Jesus. Rosey from Veracruz, the hostess in the Mexican restaurant was delightful.
The beach was spectacular. We never had a problem getting a beach bed. We stopped by and Martin, one of the beach butlers, would set us up with a beach bed before we went to breakfast. We loved the little extras like the fruit skewers, special tastings, ice cold cloths and special drinks. When we left to go to lunch we would find our beach bed straightened up and damp towels replaced. Yudy on the activities staff was great. It was fun watching her try to get people to play bocci ball, volleyball and attend cooking classes. She is so enthusiastic!
I was skeptical of the rave reviews, but found that they were spot on. It was even better than I could have imagined. We previously stayed at the El Dorado Royale and the Valentin Maya and Aura on Cozumel. The El Dorado far exceed all of these resorts and the service was much better than we have ever gotten at a Ritz Carlton or a Four Seasons. We will definitely return.
This resort really knows how to pamper its guests. Do not hesitate to book, especially if you require a gluten free diet.

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms have a great view, but it is quite a hike up the stairs. Room 421 had an ocean view...
5 Thank DebJ14
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Words don't begin to capture what an incredible experience. You will be hooked the moment you walk into the resort and they greet you with "Welcome Home”. The entire staff working to make sure your stay is a close to perfect as possible. I could go on and on, but like I said in the first sentence words don't begin to do it justice. You will not want to leave this piece of PARADISE.

4 Thank Kevin T
Liberty, Mississippi
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Wife and I planned to celebrate our 25th anniversary at the El Dorado Maroma. 8th visit since becoming members in Sept/2009. Each time is more amazing than the last.
The staff is second to none! From the time you check in to the housekeeping these folks are truly professionals at what they do. And that's making sure all your needs and wants are met!

The special welcome they give you at the door is one you will remember forever. Diana, Analilia, and Berencie are Wonderful!

House keeping ladies are always there.

Spa} Victor and David make sure you get the appointment you need and Eva & Sophia make sure you feel better.

Room service was good as well as the waiters.

BeachButlers} Dieago made sure our bed was ready shortly after lunch and and he and Estella make sure fresh beverages were headed our way.

Special mention to Head waiter (Gustavano) for going above and beyond to make our dinner on the beach special even though they were overbooked on our special night. Thanks so much to Gustavano.

I left out the below special people to the end to acknowledge them for making sure our trip and stay was more memorable than the last. They are Marcella, Kenneth (for taking care of a special challenge) and assisted by Karen. Thanks to all of you!

But, with every company there seems to be one person that does more than their duties and responsibilities call for and stands out above all the Rest! That person is Karen. You could tell that she didn't only treat us this way but I'm sure other guest. It's amazing that she knew our routine and when we started stirring around. She was always a call or request away! The Maroma is very fortunate to have a lady with this much caring for HER guest and her character.

In closing you will find that every Maroma staff member from lawn maintenance to Marketing is some of the most professional, kind and caring people.

Don't hesitate and book your stay! It's Paradise in Paradise!

I almost forgot} Louis with Lomas Travel will help you like all the rest!

Looking forward to the next stay very soon.

Thanks to all of El Dorado Maroma staff and God bless each of you.

2 Thank John S
Russellville, Arkansas
Reviewed May 31, 2014

This entire trip was the perfect respite that we were hoping for. We had huge expectations for this trip because it was the first together in four years due to my cancer treatment. It was our 32nd wedding anniversary and my husband was anxious for it to be perfect for me. The best first thing he did was to use Beach Bum Vacations and specifically Nanda van Zwam. Talk about no worries. We didn't have the time or energy to do the work ourselves. Plus, we got an upgrade and no hassle when we had to reschedule once due to my husband's job. We got an anniversary package which had really special benefits. Our room was ideal. Room 421 on the 3rd floor was high enough for ocean view over the palms, close to everything, while not having too many flights to climb. I had an infinity pool that, granted, was cool but was refreshing on my slightly over baked hide. There isn't much direct sunlight on the pool but that was a plus for me. Having my personal pool inches away while feeling the ocean breeze was wonderful. I had no concerns of lack of privacy. We were right by the main pool and could enjoy the nighttime music from our balcony.
We got breakfast in our room (part of package) that was exceptional. In fact, had we known the room service food was so good, we would eaten in more. We had no complaints about the food overall. We also had dinner on the beach which was nice but we were more comfortable in the restaurants. The servers called us by name and were all exceptional. Jonas was a server that went out of his way to make us feel welcome.
We took advantage of the spa services and this was a huge part of how well our stay went. The package also gave us a discount. We had outdoor massages which were perfect, even on one day of strong winds.
Some people complained about the beach but the artificial reef made a lagoon effect that made it easier for me to swim since I haven't gotten my strength back, however, most of it was only to my thighs. I found a place that was up to my neck and the best part was that I had it to myself! The stronger waves are just a short wade to the other side of a sand bar.
Our hopes for this trip were rest, ocean breezes, well made drinks, good food and very few people. We got what we wanted! Know that 2 people can be in the same place and one can be in heaven while the other in hell. If you want to find fault, you can. I chose to enjoy being alive and in a beautiful place.

27 Thank Agalia B
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!