“Paradise”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Monroe Twp, NJ
“Paradise”
Reviewed October 23, 2010

We spent alot of time researching where to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We never had a honeymoon & decided we needed our anniversary to be somewhere special. We loved staying there, everyone was very friendly. Service was excellent. Our room was very clean upon arrival & extra touches throughout our stay to surprise us from Conception made us smile. The waitresses & waiters all over the resort were excellent & always a smile, many times they would return with a replacement drink just as we were finishing what we had. Loved the bar on the beach with the swings. The mariachi band was alot of fun each night, most nights we would just follow wherever they were playing & eat there. We had a swim out room, and enjoyed using it, most of time we had it all to ourselves, a few times only another couple was in it. The sand is soft & cool under your feet no matter how hot it was out. The angel fish will swim with you if you remember to bring a bit of bread into the ocean, I enjoyed seeing them everyday. Highly recommend this place, everything was perfect couldn't ask for more. When we got a light sprinkle of rain the staff was apologizing, we were not upset by a little rain, shortly after the sun was out & you could enjoy the pools & beach again.

This was our first trip out of the US & we were nervous, alot of talk about not being able to drink the water & to be careful, yes you can drink the water at the hotel, they filter it very good, we did not get sick at all, and were there for 9 days. As far as being careful, you have to be careful no matter where you go, we did not have any problems at all, and would love to go back again.

At the airport they will try to talk you into seeing another hotel, they will offer you tickets to some type of attraction if you give them some of your time, we didn't want to give up any of our time, so just be aware that you could be asked by the people at the airport. But pretty much anywhere you go these days they try to get you to check out places wherever you stay.

We loved being on the beach, our favorite place, from the great service, the swings at the bar, the great lunch on the beach, we almost never had to go to our room.

The grounds were very pretty, manicured, lovely flowers & plants, everywhere was so lush & tropical.

We would love to go back maybe for our next big anniversary. They deserve 5 stars, I know it's better to critique, but I honestly have no complaints about this place.

4 Thank Chicapop34

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,523)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
tejas
Reviewed October 23, 2010

check in and out went smoothly. first room assigned was not to correct so new one was given. construction outside room for entire stay for new walkway cover was disturbing. could not sleep in due to noise. other rooms closer to the beach were not available.

most of food service was good, this main is area that still needs work.

fantastic service and response to requests. facilities were very great and beach was outstanding

spa service was spotty and availability was not easy. late week arrivals ger left out

a lot of weddings and enjoyed observing from afar

special shows and programs were fun and entertaining

entire group had a very nice time and would return again

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank texdocbay
Rogers, Arkansas
Reviewed October 23, 2010

We just returned there from our honeymoon and I cannot say a bad thing about this resort. The grounds are beautiful, the pools are nice, and the beach is AMAZING! Our room was an ocean view jr. suite with a wonderful view and a huge jacuzzi on the balcony...it was gorgeous. We are already thinking about going back.

3 Thank nallen33
White Hall, Maryland
Reviewed October 23, 2010

We stayed from Oct 14-19 and it was great! The staff was so nice and never expected a tip. Though we did tip often, they were very gracious when we did. The beach, grounds, and room were very clean and well kept. The only thing we would not do again would be to stay in out swimout preferred club. The swimout water was ice cold because the sun never hit it. Also there is only one lounge chair and its not like you can get another one because there is not room for one. I have stayed in many other resorts and upgraded to the preferred club and had ALOT more benefits than what Secrets has. We will be returning to the resort next year and getting a higher up room with a view and not upgrading to the prefered club.

2 Thank Penny093
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Never been to Mexico before. Never been a Secrets resort. Never been to an all inclusive. We'll be back to all three. We took the USAIRWAYS vacations recommendation to try this resort for a little R&R and it met and exceeeded our expectations in every way. The facility is very nice. Great rooms, pools, restaurants. The beach is incredible as is the spa. But what set this resort apart was the quality of the staff. Everywhere you went you were asked, with a smile, if you needed anything. Their response was consistently -- "my pleasure." The activities and evening programs kept you busy, if you wanted, or you could just lounge and be pampered. A great vacation for this 40 something couple who wanted to relax and be pampered. Mission accomplished.

1 Thank Scott M
Bartonsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 23, 2010

The food was great. The service was great. The accommodations were awesome. The beach was incredible. The entire atmosphere was great. My wife and I were there to celebrate our 15 year Wedding Anniversary and everything was PERFECT! There are some folks I would like to name who went above and beyond to make our vacation great: Yessica, Jorge, Valeria, Gabriella.

2 Thank Kidd20
Kenilworth, New Jersey
Reviewed October 23, 2010

My husband and I stayed Oct. 14-19, 2010. We have alot of travel experience in places from rustic to luxury, are flexible and easy going. Check-in was chaotic and took longer than it should have. With our booking came discounts for the spa and a bottle of wine. We were told to come back the next day to get those. The next day we were going on a tour so I told the man at the other set of desks that we would come back after the tour to pick up the coupons. He said no, come sit at my desk and do it now. I said our ride was coming shortly and we didn't have time and could he just give them to me. He said no. We never did get the discounts. It's obvious that they want to up sell whenever possible and we understand that however we didn't want or need any up sell. We also never saw the fruit that was supposed to come with our anniversary package.
You can book tours at the hotel but I chose to book ours before we left. One tour was a private one I had booked through emails with the guide. I needed to call him to reconfirm pick up time and the front desk dialed him no problem. However, when the man at the front desk found out I had booked him prior to arriving I was rudely chastised in front of other guests for not booking with someone in the hotel. This is all under the guise of being concerned with guest safety. Thank you for that but I also know they want you book through their 'preferred suppliers'. I don't have a problem with people making money, it's the attitude that I object to.
We had a swim-out, great in our opinion. The pools close early and with a swim-out this isn't an issue. I've read complaints about the water temp. being cold; we found it fine. I did hear you can ask that the temp. be turned up, don't know if this is true. Our room was very nice, king size bed, no problems with hot water, housekeeping, a/c, bugs, or anything else people seemed to have problems with. I do not like the bathroom design (no real privacy, just so you know).
Overall, I found the resort to be lacking in personality, for lack of a better word. Lots of concrete. Plantings are nicely maintained but no flowers to speak of. I just had a feel of no real ambiance or charm of any type from the resort overall, not good, not bad, just blah. We're not big drinkers but my husband does enjoy Margaritas which he said were ok and I like the tropical ones. The pina coladas were ok, but the other 'slush' type drinks like Purple Rain were pretty much tasteless (unless you count the drink I had that contained a large bug midway through the drink so yes, the drink was made in a dirty glass). We did notice that all drinks we had in the restaurants were better than from the bars although the Sugar Reef bar was the better one of the outside bars. We enjoyed the food in Oceana the best, and the Seaside Grill. Himitsu was the worst meal we've had in a while and just so you know, they charge for Japanese beer. I didn't understand that one...we're in an Asian restaurant, why charge for an Asian drink? It's not like we ordered French wine there. Other people apparently didn't care for the food either. While we were eating, 4 couples left before finishing their meal. We asked about dinner on one of the 'finger' type islands of concrete that jut into the pool near Oceana. Those have to be reserved and will cost you $50. It's not secluded, you're sitting a mere 20 feet or so from the first set of tables in the restaurant so again what's the point of being charged for this in a supposedly all inclusive?
The beach is beautiful. Sand is like flour, clean, and a wide expanse. Plenty of room so you never feel like you're one on top of each other. We had no problems getting a chair either on the beach or by the pool. You'll hear about the abandoned mansion down the beach where alot of photo shoots from the resort are booked for weddings and just regular photos. Not sure why anyone would have wedding photos there when there are so many beautiful spots around. It's a dirty, unfinished stone building. If it were in any other place, people wouldn't go near it. When we stopped in to see what it was all about, a photographer from the resort said he was doing a private photo shoot and told us to leave. I said that we wouldn't bother them. He said to leave. They were on the second floor, we were on the first, so no interference there and this place is open to the public so how could he just decide it was a private place and demand that other people leave...don't know. Again, it was the attitude.
If you're planning a wedding I would suggest later in the day is better or on the beach if that's an option. The wedding gazebo is by the pool and people actually get drinks, move the loungers around to face the gazebo and settle in to watch. During the reception your guests will be doing the cocktail hour while swimsuit clad resort guests (some of whom will be drunk and loud) will be only a few feet away commenting on your dress, the flowers, and wondering if that fat woman in the blue dress is the groom's mother (yes, I actually heard that comment, their words not mine).
A vacation is what you make it so we did have a good time but we also did spend alot of time away from the resort touring and sightseeing. Overall the resort staff were friendly and efficient and we had no complaints about room comfort. Any of the things we expected to get but didn't would not be a big deal if it weren't for the fact that the resort itself supposedly prides itself on their 'unlimited luxury' and how they deliver that to their guests. This Secrets comes out only as better than average in our opinion. Check out their page on Facebook. It's amazing to read how people analyze this place to death and then feed off their own hype.
Any questions, feel free to email me!

2 Thank di_lithium
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!