“Secrets Maroma Cancun.....Don't miss it!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, Texas
“Secrets Maroma Cancun.....Don't miss it!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

Ok....so just got back yesterday from our second trip to Secrets Maroma Beach and the second was better than the first!!!!! Our first trip was shortly after the resort opened and things were great but still not what it now offers. The food was great!!!! The service was exceptional. An added to the pool service is they now bring around trays with INCREDIBLE munchies for the guests...the poolside grill has great selections for poolside snacks. Not only hamburgers and hotdogs but grilled fish and fajitas for fish tacos, grilled veggies and the most incredible homemade chips and guacamole you will ever want for. This is not to negate in ANY way what you can also order poolside (I love this all inclusive property!!!) I have a attached a couple pics of a couple dishes we ordered poolside....amazing seafood!!!! I could go on and on....but will stop. This all coming from someone who is not on their first go around....we are well traveled and work in the travel industry, so this review is not from a travel newbie....If you have any questions just ask!!! Above all enjoy your stay at the awesome property!!! :-)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank flyzalot1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,334)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

Secrets is a great resort. The food quality and service was very good. The staff is well trained and they truly pay attention to the small details. They performed their duties with competence and more importantly had a pleasant, friendly demeanor. We enjoyed every meal, especially the Bordeaux Restaurant. We have traveled to many all inclusive resorts, and we felt the resort is second to none in regard to food quality and service.

Now for the however. I must agree with the previous post by Chestnut. We were also at the resort during the same time, July 18-26. One group was a small convention. They seemed to be a nice group of people, but still a group. The resort states on their website, "a luxurious and romantic setting". This is impossible when people are creating a noise and some commotion, every group does. Would you expect anything less? One wedding group (wedding on July 24) was very disruptive to the "romantic experience". Their presence made me fell as though I was back at my college fraternity, 20 years ago. Hardly romantic. Next time pay more attention to your behavior, you should be ashamed.

6 Thank DavePerotto
New york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

I have to admit...I am afraid if I write this review everyone will want to go there and they will jack up the prices. Please don't!
I will be short and to the point. The resort was stunning, My room was beautiful, clean and comfortable. The food was better then when you would expect in an all inclusive. The service...well I felt like a queen, (My water bottle was getting warm the staff noticed and replaced it with a cold bottle without me asking) ... They saw I ate the M & M's in the fridge in the room and my husband drank the coronas... next day lots of M & M's and Coronas in our fridge. Its all in the small details. We were upgraded to ocean front upon our arrival and given champagne and a damp cloth. We had breakfast laid out for us every morning on our ocean front balcony. The jacuzzi for two in the room was awesome. So was the chocolate cover strawberries left in our secret box after a night of dancing. The resort was just very romantic and relaxing. There were activities planned all day long if you like to be busy. I could go on and on....
So therefore, I am warning my baby sitters now....
Get ready, my kids are coming to you, because we are going back!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Momof2Newyork
Jefferson City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

Was a bit skeptical as we drove in as the road is pretty much a rutted dirt road that eventually turns in to cobblestone. Ignore that and wait to be greeted by an amazing staff who make every effort to make your stay wonderful. Views were beautiful. Stayed in an ocean view room and wasn't disappointed.

While the walk out pools attached to the rooms hold a great deal of appeal it seemed you will be playing the odds on getting good neighbors to share the pool with or ones that aren't there to, how shall I say...., value serenity. Staff did seem to make an effort to quiet them down.

2 Thank CCW1990
pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2010

My husband & I stayed at Secrets Maroma June 25 – July 4. Cannot say enough wonderful things about this resort. The food, staff, shows, beach, rooms, and resort grounds was absolutely great! We have stayed at many different amazing resorts in Mexico, Jamaica, and Punta Cana and can truly give this one a thumbs up.

To compare beaches we have seen only a few as nice, but some of those resorts did not pay as much attention to clean up and preservation the way that this one did. The beach was crystal clean every day (Hurricane Alex even went through while we were there) and they even use straws that decompose in three days. Probably a bit pricey for them for those straws, but it keeps the beach beautiful. I love the ocean but I am usually a raft floater. I walk into the water until it is deep enough to get on my raft, then I float because I don’t like walking on things such as coral, rock or seaweed. I found none of this here, stood in the ocean over an hour at a time a lot just to feel the soft powder sand below my feet!

The bars were always staffed, beach and pool waiters came by often. The beach and pool waiters even serve food which a lot of resorts do not offer. Also reservations were not needed in most of the restaurants, which we look for in any resort we stay at since we do not like being on a schedule. The food was very good everywhere we went. Anytime you go to a different country the food tastes different than home, but Secrets’ resorts food tastes more like home than any other resorts we have been to(We have also stayed at Secrets Capri). Secrets’ resorts even serve Bud Light beer (among many others) which is a big plus for us since we are mainly beer drinkers . Room service always arrived in the time estimated and the food was as hot or cold as it should be.

The staff went out of their way to make our stay wonderful and even the shows were something to talk about. We have seen shows at other resorts and sometimes we were definitely not impressed. The ones we seen at this resort was impressive.

Our room was always cleaned to the T, our fridge was stocked all the time, bed was comfortable. Our concierge “D” was absolutely wonderful and catered to our every need. We had a swim out room which was wonderful for us because we enjoy that sort of thing. The pool was always clean and ready for us when we went out. While we were there it was crab mating season or they were having their babies, not sure which, but there were tons of crabs everywhere in the morning and in the evening (Especially on the ground level rooms and even in our swimout pool). The staff went out of their way to move them away from you if you were frightened. There might be 7 knocking on our door in the morning or waiting for us at our door in the evening. Only lasted about 3-5 days, but for us we were not frightened by them so it was something great to see.

Anyone with complaints with this resort probably had a bad incident happen. We couldn’t have asked for a better trip, despite the weather from the hurricane, that was out of our control. If you choose this resort we are sure you will have a wonderful time. Happy Vacationing!

We have stayed at many other great resorts also, please feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank as0807
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

Before I write my review a little but about us.. We are a newly engaged couple in our early and mid-twenties that love traveling and are always taking a trip of some kind, whether its something close to home for the weekend or a week long stay on a Caribbean Island.. By no means do I think of myself as a seasoned traveler, but I have been very fortunate to see some very beautiful places and I have developed certain preferences about things that I expect when I travel.

Prior to visiting Secrets Maroma Beach, we had previously done two other all inclusives in the Bahamas (Sandals) and most recently in Jamaica (CSS). I booked SMB back in November as a surprise birthday gift to my then boyfriend, now fiance. SMB seemed to have everything that we look for in a vacation-- great food, great room, beautiful beach, and impeccable service. I spent all the months prior to the trip checking updated reviews and looking through new pictures. I had very high expectations for this trip.

We arrived late Monday 7.19.10. I have to admit that when I walked into the lobby I was blown away. It was absolutely beautiful-- the water features, the marble floors.. We were given the welcome champagne and moist towelette immediately and munched on some delicious chocolate chip cookies as we checked in. Because it was already almost six, our room was ready and so the process took only a few minutes. The concierge led us to the stairs overlooking the entire resort and said, "Ok, your room is over there, third floor." I was surprised that they did not show us to the room but just pointed out the general direction of our room among four different buildings. Again, this really was not a big deal, but I had read so much about the great customer service and this first experience was not at all what I expected. We eventually found a room and as soon as I walked in of course I was again impressed. We had booked a junior suite ocean view, and although you couldn't really see the actual ocean it was still a very nice view. The room was the nicest one we had ever stayed in. It was large, comfortable, luxurious.. Beautiful bathroom with a his and her sink.. Robes.. Slippers.. If I ever custom built my own house, this is what my bedroom would look like-- that is how much I loved it..

We were too tired from our flight and so we ordered room service and unpacked. I have no complaints about the room service food- it always came within 45min or less, was very tasty, and always warm. What I do have a complaint about is the staff knocking on the door repeatedly while the "do not disturb" light was on. I don't really understand what the point of having the light on was if at least five out of the ten times we ordered room service they did not just leave it in the secret box. One staff member in particular refused to leave the food in the box and just kept knocking. When I opened the door, he just let himself in the room, stating his name was "Juan" but pointing to his name tag which said "Sayed". He then started making very awkward conversation and made me and my fiance feel very very uncomfortable.

The food at the resort was good to very good. Our favorite meals were at Himitsu and Portofinos. Daily breakfast at World Cafe was amazing.. Omeletes, crepes, pancakes, waffles, fresh fruit, croissants.. Anything you could want! Our worst experience was at Bordeaux. The food was just okay for us.. My fiance was wearing a very nice pair of dress shorts, a collared polo, and a closed shoe and he was not allowed in. We did not argue, even though the people before us to go in were wearing cargo khaki shorts and flip-flops. After going back to the room and changing, we went back to the restaurant and were seated, only to see a large group after us come in wearing sports shorts and flip-flops. My fiance was very upset. During the week, we saw a lot of this. The dress code was not enforced properly. We had no problem dressing up, but we did have a problem seeing fellow diners dressed like they were going to a beach bar. It took away from the fine dining experience.

The next day, my fiance decided to complain to our building concierge. I will not mention his name, but he was never there between the hours of 9-5 like he was supposed to be. Whenever we called down to him or passed by to see him, the desk was empty. It was little things like this that I was disappointed with. While some staff members were very friendly and tried to get to know you, there were others that simply ignored you. The best waiters were at World Cafe.. The worst service was on the beach. Out of the six days that we were there, there was only one day that we were asked for our drink order. Other times, the waitress would go around asking others what they wanted, but miss an entire section of people who ended up just walking to the closest bar and serving themselves.

The beach was beautiful. Would I say it is the best I have ever seen? No. But that is because I think nothing compares to the beaches on the Greek Islands. It was nice to take long walks every morning.. The sand was white and never got hot.. The water however was dirty. We just so happened to go there during a week where it rained everyday and there just wasn't ever a time when I could ever actually see inside the water. I would love to go back during a better season and truly see it at its best. It was a beautiful beach though, and we enjoyed many sunrises just sitting in one of the chairs.

We did a couples massage, which was okay.. What we loved most was the hour before the massage we got to spend it on the other spa amenities-- the sauna, vapor room, and different plunge pools. It was a very relaxing and fun experience. The spa is just gorgeous.

The reason I gave this resort a 4 out of 5, was mostly because of the service. I know that it seems unfair, but when you go on vacation and spend a lot of money to receive the best service it is not unreasonable to expect just that. There were a few nights that we never got turn down service, despite the fact that the "do not disturb light" was not on. In the morning the service was not that great either. We would find our pillows on the couch or the desk in the room instead of the bed. I did not like that we were expected to tip. During check-in we were told that tips were very important. I did not like this, especially because when you pay for an all inclusive, the tips are said to be included. But we did tip the people that thought deserved it. We did notice that larger groups were tended to better, probably because a bigger tip was expected.

The other reason I did not LOVE SMB, was probably my own fault. We enjoy smaller, intimate resorts. During the week, there were at least three weddings and the resort just felt more like a "party" resort with people screaming from their swim out suites and being drunk and obnoxious. I really did want to love it, but it just fell a little short. Would I recommend this place to a friend? Yes. Would I go back? Probably not. I would much rather return to CSS in Jamaica. It may not be as new or as luxurious, but it offers that something that SMB just lacked.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank beachbabee118
Wantagh, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

I traveled to Secrets for my honeymoon. It was recommended by our travel agent. Secrets Maroma was by far the best hotel I have been to! My husband and I have traveled to many places and this beat all other hotels hands-down. This was my fifth time visiting Mexico, my second visiting the Cancun area...and I would go back to Secrets in a heartbeat. I spent a lot of time reading reviews about Secrets Maroma and I am glad to be writing one for future travelers. Everything about this place was wonderful; the staff went above and beyond, the food was delicious and plentiful, the pool areas were clean and refreshing, and the beach was pristine. This trip will be something my husband and I will never forget. Definitely will be returning to Secrets!

3 Thank candi82
#33 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,977 reviews
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,874 reviews

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!