“Secrets Maroma - Love the Swim up Rooms”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We stayed at Secrets Maroma in July. We had the swim up suites which were without a doubt the best touch of the resort. For not much more money comparatively, I highly recommend it, especially if you are with friends. We were with another couple, so got rooms next to each other and lounged in the pool every night. Of course, you give up the ocean view with this option since you are at ground level.

The food was hit or miss - We liked the breakfast buffet, but after a week it gets kind of old. We liked the Seafood and Hibache restraurants the best and liked the Italian and Mexican the least. Room Service was always good and generally took about 45 minutes. Pool side food was very good. Service overall was generally good, but food seemed to take a while to come out in the restraurants, even if they were not busy. Portions are also generally small in the restaurants, but that is not so bad because then you could order more than one entree if you wanted to try different things. Being a desert lover, I was dissappointed as I never had any really good desert except the fried icecream at the Hibache steak house.
The entertainment was hit or miss. There were several times where we either skipped or left early from the nightly entertainment.
Beach was dirty in my opinion. Everyone talks about how great the Maroma beach is, but having spent our last two vacations at Couples Swept away in Jamaica and I can tell you their beach is much nicer and cleaner. Couples would literally rake their beach daily. The beach at Secrets was dirty and somewhat unkept.

Pool was very active. A lot of activity always going on. Volleyball was fun.

Overall, I found there to be a fairly young demographic at the resort. I think there were a lot of honeymooners. I figured that a higher end hotel would have mostly an older affluent demographic, but it was definately younger than Couples in Jamaica.
Overall, I would recommend Couples Swept Away over Secrets, but they each have their Pros and Cons.

We did the extreme Tulum Excursion which was very fun. It includes a visit to the Myan Ruins (Tulum), Snorkeling, Repelling and Zip LIne. Its a whole day for about $100/PP. A pretty good value. If you just want to do zip lines, you should probably do the "explore" exclursion. We heard they have something like 13 different zip lines and you can do it more than once.

You can also go into Playa Del Carmen for a shopping excursion for about $15PP. Good place to pick up gifts, but its definately a tourast trap (e.g. some things more expensive than in states).

Here is a tip about the Cancun airport - Don't stop at the timeshare desk!!...They are stationed on both sides of the exit (as you are headed out to your resort) and literally have rows of people trying to stop you and direct you over to their desk. I can't believe the airport allows this, but I'm sure they get a hefty kickback. If we hadn't been told not to stop there, they make you think you are supposed to stop and there is no telling how much time we would have wasted with this.

Overall, we had a great time, but don't plan to go back to Mexico for a long time.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank SillySalley44881
Write a ReviewReviews (12,933)

Reviewed July 28, 2010

Me and my fiance decided to scout out the resort which we selected for our destination location next May. Great call.

The resort is about 25-30 minutes from the airport. Our package did not include transfers, but $80 + tip netted us private round trip van service thru USA Transfers which was comfortable, easy to find, and on time. Note: There are official bag porters at the airport with baby blue shirts on who will happily take you and your bags to your selected transfer company. I forget what the logo says exactly, but it says they are associated with the airport itself, not a private company. The porter stayed with us until we got on the van, loading our bags.

At the resort you are welcomed in with a cold wet towel, a sit-down check in process, and a glass of champagne. We had to wait a bit for our room, but that gave us some time to walk the resort. The resort map isn't the finest piece of cartography every generated, so a walk through helps make sense of things.

The room was just like the pictures on the web site show, so no unpleasant surprises there. Our bags soon followed us up via the bag service, and there was plenty of closet space for what you can fit into two or 3 large suitcases.

The beach was excellent; clean, relatively private, and with enough beach chairs and tiki huts to go around. Bathrooms could be closer, but no such complaints can be made against food or drink, as there are two bars within 50 yards of wherever you sit, wandering servers, and a midday grille that opens up right on the beach and serves hamburgers, hot dogs, & tacos.

The pool was also adequately supplied with chairs, umbrellas, bars, wandering servers, wandering taco stand (you do not want to miss these babies!), a permanent grille (Barefoot Grille), and a full-service lunch spot ( Sea Side Grille).

Despite going to the resort in July, we found that a pleasant breeze permeated the beach/pool area, and a bit of shade is all one needs to remain comfortably cool.

The restaurants were mostly excellent, with our personal favorites falling into the following rank:

1. Bordeaux
2. Himitsu
3. Oceana
4. Sea Side
5. El Patio
10. Portofino

The portions are small enough to allow you to enjoy an appetizer, soup, entree, and desert - provided one hasn't filled up on tacos earlier in the day. We felt that the food we know were of a high quality, and the creative injections were generally appreciated. Note: I dunno what happened with Portofino, but they made complete stinkers out of Osso bucco and Lasagna, neither of our appetizers were memorable, and the minestrone soup was the least appealing soup we had at the resort. Just a complete whiff on a meal.

We didn't try too many of the activities, but the ones we did (kayaking, wine/coffee tasting) were light-hearted diversions which generated some laughs and informal introductions with other resort guests.

Onto the wedding planning: We found early on that just about anything the resort has to offer can be parlayed into the plans. It was definitely worthwhile to spend the week seeing for ourselves what the resort had to offer before simply showing up for the wedding, but the wedding coordinator had a firm grasp of their capabilities and expressed confidence in harnessing the resources of the resort to our benefit, usually by relating what other people have chosen to do.

All told, great 7 days, and we are looking forward to 7 more, a wedding, and dragging along a bunch of our friends with us!

4  Thank mattsoundworld
Reviewed July 28, 2010

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Secrets Maroma Beach for our 12 year wedding anniversary July 17-23. I had read many of the reviews (mostly all positvie) on Trip Advisor and my wife and I were still stunned with how nice the staff was and the sheer beauty of the property. We have stayed at numerous all-inclusives in Cabo, Cancun, Playa, and Cozumel; none of them can even come close to SMB. I'm telling you, this place is hard to put into words.

We had booked a swim out, which I highly recommend, the main pool is great, but there's just something about the privacy of the swim out that we loved. Upon our arrival, they upgraded us to the Honeymoon Suite with swim out, WOW, 5-star all the way.

The food was outstanding, we tried all the eating venues except the French and Mexican. Japanese place is a must, Pedro was excellent. Seaside Grill overlooks the beautiful ocean and is very romantic. 24-hour room service is awesome also, midnight ice cream sundae, what ever you want.

Now to the beach, they tell you it's the #2 beach in the world, well #1 must be something, because I have never seen sand like this and the water is the most beautiful I have ever seen. There was always a umbrella to get some shade if you wanted, and someone bringing you a drink at all times. They even cook lunch on the beach!!

Well, I could go on for ever about this week, but bottom line is, we didn't want to leave. A special thanks to Yessica, she is the best. NO doubt in my mind, we will return ASAP.

3  Thank traveler31826
Reviewed July 28, 2010

This is an amazing property. I truly enjoyed all six days I spent at Secrets. The hotel is beautiful it is on a beautiful white sandy beach with amazing water. The service is the best I have ever experienced. I never did not have a drink in my hand. The food is good, the drinks are good. It is wonderful. I loved it. It is 100% couple place. I went with thirty friends for a wedding and I would have been totally out of place if I didn't have them. Only go with a date or wedding party.

2  Thank littlemissheidijo
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Upon arrival we were told that they had upgraded our room to the preferred club. That put us closer to the beach and gave us a room with a soaking tub on the balcony. This was a very unexpected surprise that made our trip all the better. The room was terrific and the view from the balcony overlooked the pool with a good ocean view. The staff was terrific - always willing to answer any questions we had. We had a problem with the jacuzzi tub and it was corrected immediately. The beach and pool bar/food service was prompt and very pleasant. It was great to have drinks and food delivered right to our chairs. As far as the beach, I can't do justice with mere words. It was the best!!! Water was warm and I could stand up to my shoulders and not only see my feet but also see the angel fish swimming around my legs. The beach was very clean - staff was out raking up any sea weed every morning. The tropical drinks were plentiful and delicious - mango tango was my all time favorite. Regarding the food - breakfast buffet was soooo good. You name it, they had it. My favorite was the crepes (strawberry, banana with chocolate - yummy). Lunch - we either got food at the Barefoot Grill or had it delivered to our beachside chairs and consisted of burgers, fish, tacos, french fries, chicken, ribs, salad, ect. Dinner - we are not use to fancy food so this was my only area of slight disappointment. Each restaurant had a fairly limited menu (lots of fish dishes which unfortunately I do not care for). But this was a personal thing. We certainly did not go hungry. Mexican buffet at World Cafe was very good. The entertainment was enjoyable. Never made it to the night club as the sun/sand/food made it impossible for me to stay awake that long. The endless pool was great - just relaxed in the warm water looking out over the beach. Regardless of their policy of not reserving chairs, if you were not out at the pool or beach early, it was impossible to get a chair, especially under an umbrella, near the water. People seemed to "reserve" chairs at the pool and the beach and then go back and forth all day. We only used room service one morning and it was delivered promptly. They were however a bit slow on removing the empty glasses/beer bottles from the secrets box but since we didn't see it unless we looked, didn't bother us. Check in and out was a very smooth experience. We did dolphin swim and snorkling excursions which we arranged through American Express (Juan Carlos was great). This was a first for us - I had never flown and we had never been to an all inclusive resort before. I would definately return to Secrets Maroma Beach and would absolutely recommend it to everyone.

4  Thank cbvacations

Room Booked: Non Preferred Partial Ocean View
Booked Through Apple Vacations

Review and Tips:

Cancun Airport:
Cancun airport was really very easy to navigate. We flew St. Louis to Atlanta, Atlanta to Cancun and had a rather quick connecting flight. Our luggage did not make our connecting flight. However, luckily there was another Atlanta to Cancun flight directly behind ours and our luggage made that flight. The Delta rep there in Cancun was very helpful. Once through customs, there are a lot of timeshare rep’s, with our head down we proceeded to the Apple Vacation Rep’s and had no problems from there. We had about a 30 min ride in a nice air conditioned van.

Secrets Check In
From the highway to the resort is kind of bumpy ride until you hit the pavement in the Mangrove Swamps. If you get car sick, you better pay attention. Then, you hit the secrets security guard, turn a corner and arrive. There is a huge water feature out in front of the resort that is nice but not sure what the point of it is? Seems like they could have used that money inside the walls?

Upon pull up, our driver was quick to assist with our bags (just like at the airport) so I tipped him a few dollars. After that, you are in complete care of Secrets. Your bags are taken by the bellhop and set to the side with a name tag. Once you enter the lobby, the entry is VERY nice and you are greeted with a cool towel and a glass of champagne. The cool towel really was refreshing.

The check in people are very nice, however this is where we ran into our first glitch. We were told by our travel agent to show them our marriage license to indicate it was our anniversary, the check in person acted surprised. Our travel agent had contacted them about this being our anniversary week to get the complimentary Secrets anniversary package. We soon found out they had forgotten to “mark” us down and we DID NOT receive the anniversary package right off the bat.

Also, during check in, we asked about a complimentary upgrade (as we all hear so much about) but were told all rooms were booked and that was not available to us. However, we heard of several other people who checked in around the same time we did that did get upgraded.

These were not huge issues at all and soon we were off to our room. We were told our bags would be right behind us. Now remember, we had been scheduled to arrive at the resort around noon. It was not until almost 2pm after our luggage glitch. So we were VERY hungry! Our plan was to go check out our room and then find something to eat. We went to our room and waited and waited and waited, it was almost 45 minutes (and a phone call to the front desk) later until our baggage arrived. We had no idea what to do so again, we just had to wait in the room and watch TV (which is not what a person wants to do).

Each building is given a concierge to discuss problems, need help and make reservations and so on. We attempted to contact Patty but had no luck. We finally talked to another concierge from another building and asked for reservations for Monday night (anniversary night) to Himitsu’s Japanese Grill and she said she would tell Patty. Later on, we found out we did not get the reservations but it was actually a blessing in disguise. Point is, double confirm your reservation and I would not rely on my Concierge.

Finally, our bags arrived; we unpacked, through on swimsuits and off to get something to eat!

Secrets Partial Ocean View (Non-Preferred, Non-Swimout) Room
The buildings are very nice. Ice is only on the first floor by the elevators. You will have a special room service box by your door so room service never has to come in. The concierge is supposed to be right by the elevator but until Ricardo was there later in the week, ours never was. We had to use building 14’s for basic info. She was very helpful.

The rooms are very nice. Beautiful flooring, nice furniture, spacious bathrooms, tub and shower! Comfortable King Bed, plenty of comfy pillows, big screen TV, IPOD/IPHONE docking station with external speaker, nice desk, nice couch, lighted dressers, iron and ironing board, umbrella, hair dryer, womens make up mirror, the deck was nice (no Jacuzzi for us), the towels were thick and big, we heard very little noise from our neighbors, no music noise, and the fridge was stocked well… VERY ELEGANT!

Minor Issues: The room AC was not very good. I wish they had put the ceiling fan over the bed. The light switches take some getting used to. The shower pressure was a bit weak. The hot water was VERY slow to get going. There floor had a step down that I tripped over more than once. I wish they had a small night light option in the bathroom; it was hard to find your way in the middle of the night. The room is very quiet until around 5am in the morning when the tropical birds start singing and sound as loud as roosters (maybe he slept in a tree near our room?). My wife could sleep through it but I woke up every morning to the birds.

Ocean View: We had a very small ocean view. If there is a big price difference between ocean view and non ocean view and you are on a budget, skip the ocean view. In my opinion it’s not worth it. I had to stand on the balcony to really see more than a small window of the ocean and then that was only a bit more of the ocean. However, you can hear it which is nice too!

Swimouts: they were right below us and they looked very nice.

Fridge: Ours was stocked with Coke, Diet Coke, OJ, Water, Corona and Fanta Orange Drink. I asked our concierge to brink up Bud Light and they did every day after that. So if you would like something different, just ask.

Maid Service: They did a great job every day. Even good about cleaning up our sand mess one day.

Room Service: We never ordered anything, can you believe it?

Wedding and Anniversary Package
As stated, we were supposed to get our but did not. When we asked, they tried to make up for it and send up some champagne and turned down our bed the night after our anniversary. They also put a banner on your door and make swans out of towels.

Truth is, the champagne was not good at all and I have never been that impressed with turn down service as a “bonus” and other than something to look at, what’s the point of the towel swans? So even though we didn’t get ours, I don’t feel we missed much. I think they should offer you something more substantial like a complimentary bottle of nice wine and a private dinner or something. Otherwise, if you are like us and don’t receive it, you are not missing much.

For the most part, the restaurants were all good. I really enjoyed the steaks at Oceana and Seafood Grill, my wife like the Japanese place. All the food was prepared well, looked appeasing and tasted very good. Just remember, you are not at your hometown favorites and be willing to accept different versions of your favorite meals.

One thing kind of odd but not a big deal, all the restaurants are all packed together except for the Oceana and Seafood Grill (which are together)

World Café was just ok by me. The breakfast was a bit bland and offered a lot of crazy items instead of focusing on a handful of really good items. However, I seen lots of people eating some of that really crazy stuff so it must have been good.

Lunch was really good at times: The appetizers the chef’s would hand out by the pool were fantastic. The pork tacos were amazing, my wife loved the nacho’s and the chips and salsa are good everywhere. I suggest the Seaside Grill for a sit down lunch, however if you want to stay in the bathing suits the grills near the pool are good too. I would skip the World Café for lunch…

HOWEVER: I really wanted a good sandwich (I love sandwiches) and finally found an ok one upstairs near the lobby in the COCO café.

Private Dinners
There are a couple of places to do this. One is the beach, another is the wine cellar in the Italian Restaurant and the one we did which was awesome was pool side at the Oceana. You are asked to buy a bottle of wine but it really was the highlight meal of our trip. It was just my wife and I, great service and you could see the ocean. Our dinner started at 7pm (around dusk) and by the time we were done, we were looking at the stars. It really was one of our greatest anniversary dinners.

I recommend you do at least one private dinner. Our bottle of wine costs us $45.00 and we were very satisfied with it.

Wine, Drinks and Bars
Every meal, they offer you the wine list. The wine list is priced very similar to the US. We did buy a special bottle of wine for our anniversary and it was good. However, the house wine was ok too. Especially since all day you are drinking fruity drinks, beer and shots, your taste buds become a bit immune to anything else. When they bring the wine list just say “no thank you” if you don’t want any.

Drinks…I did get tired of sugar drinks. The beer was never very cold and the mixed drinks were made with bottom shelf liquors. However, they did carry some nice liquors too. You just need to make sure and ask for them. No energy drinks (you have to buy them for about $4.50 a piece from the lobby store and you have to ask for them, they don’t keep the out). Basically, whiskey, tequila, rum, vodka, schnapps and a few others. Beers… I saw Corona (Light) Budweiser (light) and Modelo. There might have been a dark beer too, cannot remember.

Bars were well placed and the staff did a good job. Again, the beer was a bit warm for my taste. All of them were rather quick and very friendly.

Drinking Water
Bottled water is abundant everywhere. The tap water is good too. I drank it a lot especially at breakfast. They don’t keep it very cold but are quick to get you some more ice.

Entertainment
There were a lot of things to do. Wine tasting, tequila tasting, beach volleyball, sailing, wind surfing, kayaks, tennis, bike riding, zumba lessons, cooking lessons, archery, rifle shooting and more.

The entertainment staff did a great job and all the events we participated in were actually pretty fun. The tequila tasting was very educational and even if you don’t like tequila, it’s worth learning about this beverage. I heard the cooking lessons were great. I played beach volleyball about every day. (I do have a small complaint about this, the entertainment staff tended to dominate the game a bit. Several times, I noticed people wanting to play yet the staff would not step out and let the guests play. Also, they would tend to always try and set themselves up for a spike. It got a bit annoying and by the last day I had had enough and just quit playing. I actually have some pics of the staff all on one team and guests waiting to play.)

Nightly Entertainment
These shows were all lots of fun. American Idol, Rock Show, Grease, Fire and Drums were all good. Go to the shows. Desires Night club. It’s pretty fun, a bit hot but ok. The KARAOKE contest was fun of course but a lot like it is in the US. Same people end up singing all night long the same songs we hear at KARAOKE bars in the US but still a fun time. My wife sang her favorite KAROKE song.

Shopping
We had vendors come in a couple of times and they have some nice stuff. Also, all week long there is vendor set up by the pool. Near the lobby there are a couple of stores as well. The one store near the lobby has some medicines and personal items if needed but they are expensive. The vendor stuff is a bit pricey compared to what you can get in Playa Del Carmen. However, you will have a $40.00 cab ride into Playa so you have to factor that into the costs.

I do recommend going to Playa though and factor at least a half a day. Lots of the shops have the same things in them so don’t be quick to buy something, you may find it cheaper a store or two down the road. The round trip costs are $40.00 plus I gave some tip money. There is one store that really has a lot of nice stuff in it and it’s rather big. There is no bartering here but you can pick up some extra sunscreen, medicine and gifts. I cannot remember the name. There are lots of good restaurants too.

Ocean and Pools
The ocean is a “WOW!” No complaints here. I highly suggest getting yourself up and going down to watch a sunrise at the beach. The water is calmer and clear. It was absolutely beautiful. Also, take yourself a night walk. This is nice too.

If you want a spot near an umbrella, you probably need to be down there before lunch to get you a good spot. People save spots all day with a towel and maybe a personal item.

The way the sand is, you can walk about 75 yards and still touch. At times the waves can be pretty big, so be careful.

The servers are good about getting you drinks. For food, there is a little seaside grill that serves up tacos that are delicious.

The ocean is NOT good for snorkeling. I tried it a couple of times, just nothing to see. There are a few angel fish and that is about it.

The pools are very nice. I wish they had a deep end but that is probably a safety factor. Again, if you want an umbrella near the main pools, get there early. Water is a bit warm in July. Water volleyball is fun but the pool floor was a bit rough on my toes and again the male staff tends to try and dominate the game.

Excursions
There is a lot to choose from. Some are very commercialized. We talked to people that were basically on a bus all day and then when they arrived at a location, they were stuck there with a tour guide and 50 other people waiting in line. I do recommend you do an excursion. We used a small little company called EDVENTURE Tours and had a great time. It’s a small little company but we were given great personal attention, safe travel to and from, no waiting in lines, able to explore on our own. Check them out, I think you will be pleased. Ask for Hector to be your guide. Great kid, loves the land, speaks very good English and full of energy. FYI: you will not find any info on them in the resort, you have to look online.

Snorkeling and Diving
A company called AquaWorld runs the snorkeling and diving adventures. We almost did this but opted for an off campus excursion instead. I heard good things about them. Diving was about $100.00 and snorkeling was around $45 I think. There at the beach, you cannot see much, they take you out into the ocean somewhere.

Check Out
They offer an express check out the night before to settle up any debts (wine, purchases, pay per view, etc) and fill out a quick survey. You can also schedule your bell hop to come to the room and pick up your bags. We did our checkout after breakfast the day we left and everything was fine.

Tipping
I did tip a lot but usually small amounts. Dollar or two every few rounds, dollar after breakfast, not much at lunch at the grills because I had no cash in my bathing suit and a few extra dollars at dinner. The night of our private dinner, our waiter really made our night nice so I gave him $10.00. We left our maids two dollars every day too. You will receive basically the same service whether you tip or not, but take a $100 in ones with you, it made me feel a lot better to give them a few tips.

SPA
We ended up not getting a massage but wow, this spa really was pretty cool. Even if you don’t do it, go and check it out (Warning: You might change your mind).

Doctor
My wife was fighting a little problem with acid indigestion and asked to see a nurse. All they have is an on call doctor and it costs over $100 to see him/her. They don’t even have a first aid station. Not sure what happens if someone gets hurt bad? (she ended up being ok by the way)

Positives
• Very clean resort
• They clean the beach everyday of the seaweed which is really nice.
• Entertainment was really a lot fun
• Lunch and Dinners were really good
• Rooms were clean, comfy beds, spacious and cozy.
• Beach is really GREAT and every expectation you have about their beach should be met (other than snorkeling and diving).
• Pathways, walkways and views were absolutely breathtaking and fun.
• Staff was helpful, entertaining, worked hard and really made the resort nice.
• The beach towels were big, fluffy and abundant.

Negatives
• AC did not seem to work well anywhere especially in the lobby, our room and some restaurants. However, I did hear people say their AC worked well in their room. Must have just been ours.
• Wish they had a more casual inside place to hang out during rain or hot days. Something with a bar, games, TV’s, food, etc.
• Breakfast was a bit bland and boring but there is no shortage of choices.
• Showers were weak and hot water was slow to get going.
• The Sand Rinse Off showers are really weak too, takes forever to get rinsed off.
• Several of the Restaurants were all a long way from the rooms

Tips and Tricks
• If you want the anniversary or honeymoon package, call ahead to make sure your name is checked on the list.
• Don’t forget if you want an shade umbrella by the pools, get there early and reserve your spot.
• Make yourself get up early and go see the sunrise at the beach. Absolutely wonderful.
• Try and check out the shows. They are a lot of fun.
• The night club is fun but it’s a drinking and dancing party.
• I had no problem getting internet in my room on my wifi. You are supposed to pay for it unless you are in preferred room but again, no problems getting online in my room.
• If you are staying in a regular room, ask to be in a building close to the main building. It really is nice to have a shorter walk when a woman is wearing heels or its raining or really hot. We were in the middle buildings and come dinner time, we had a pretty good walk to get to dinner. If you are close to the lobby and want to go to the pool, you really care less about walking as far. (at least that was the case for us)
• Try and participate in some of the activities. It really is kind of fun.
• Over by the rocks on the south side of the pool, try and find the Iguana’s.
• If you go up for dinner around 5-7p, go see how long the waits for the restaurants are first (before going to the Lobby Bar for a cocktail). They will put your name on a list and give you a buzzer. Then go back and have a cocktail and wait for them to buzz you.
• They take dollars, but the exchange rate is not as good as what I saw in the airport. They give you around $11 pesos to $1 dollar at the resort and Playa Del Carmen but I saw 14:1 at the airport exchange centers. It’s up to you whether you want to mess with pesos or not. Trust me, the Mexicans want dollars too!
• If you go off the resort, don’t forget to take some free bottles of water with you and maybe a towel or two (big and small).
• Pack plenty of sunscreen; we saw lots of people very red. Apply generously. Sunscreen there is expensive.
• Bring a small sample of your medicine cabinet especially anti diarrhea medicine. I had a small issue and spent almost $15 on medicine at the store.
• Portable IPOD station is handy on the beach if you like music. We had ours and it was nice.
• Might not be a bad idea to pack a small night light to put in the bathroom. I think that would have saved me from stubbing my toes in the middle of the night.
• Computers are available in the lobby and they work good. You can print too if need be.
• Reservations have to be made for Himitsu (just the hibachi grill portion) and private dinners. We made reservations twice and both of them were not entered correctly. Luckily it worked out but I encourage you to double check all reservations.
• Most staff knows English pretty well, however if you don’t know some Spanish, you might consider the free class the entertainment staff puts on. I know some and it really helped especially off the resort.
• It does tend to rain just about every day, pack some gallon or two gallon size Ziplocs to take to the beach with you for ipods, personal things, etc. It also helps keep the sand out. We also used ours on our excursions to pack wet clothes in on the way back to the resort.
• If you go on an excursion to the ruins or cenote’s, pack some very good water shoes. I saw people in flip flops really having a hard time. We had good water shoes on and had no problems navigating the slippery rocks.
• Beer drinkers need to pack some coolie cups! Again, the beer is not very cold so keeping them as cold as possible is a bonus. Take them to the beach and pool with you.
• We took mobile radios and ended up using them a couple of times when my wife and I split up (beach and room). However, we probably could have been ok without them but I was glad we had them when we used them.
• You can use your mobile phone on the resort but its going to cost you a bunch. If you have a WIFI Smart phone, consider SKYPE. We were able to talk to family back home for free using skype. I also used a free texting app on my iphone to text people when I was connected to the WIFI. Worked out well. Truthfully, it was nice not to have to worry about a phone for a week but with kids, we had to connect back home some.

Overview

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at Secrets. We did have a few problems. It took a long time to get our luggage from the lobby to our room and we had to just sit and wait. They forgot our anniversary package (which really was not a big deal). In the middle of the week something flew into our window and shattered it. It scared my wife really bad and we had to move rooms and re-organize everything plus we lost what little ocean view we had. The beer was a bit warm and the drinks were a big sugary for my taste. Other than those issues, the resort was fantastic.

The plush green walk ways, the little covered paths, the rooms, the ocean, the pools, the restaurant, the entertainment, the food, all of it was for the most part really nice. Are there a few things I would have liked better, maybe but for and all inclusive atmosphere it was great! We really had a great time. Would I go back, probably not but that is because we like to explore new places. But I would highly recommend Secrets Maroma Beach. Overall, 8 out of 10.

I hope this helps you plan your trip to SECRETS MAROMA BEACH!

10  Thank ltp804
Reviewed July 27, 2010

I have had my vacation planned at Secrets Maroma for 8 months. I have read many reviews leading up to my trip. With that I give you my review. My wife and I have visited several all inclusive resorts in both Mexico and D.R. over the past several years. We have a pretty good idea of what standards are expected.
THE RESORT: The location of this resort is great. It is a manageable 40 minutes from the Cancun airport. This is by a private transfer! If you take a public or semi private transfer it could take an hour to an hour and a half depending on how many stops you make. Spend the few extra bucks on the private transfer.
Check in was a great. The main lobby is immaculate and full of smiling faces. We arrived at about 12:30 and were greated by Alejandro, he escorted us to our check in station. We received our cold towel and champagne and were promptly escorted to our room, the couple we were travelling with did have to wait until about 3pm for their room to be ready. While they waited we were all able to have lunch and use the facilities.
THE ROOM: We had a partial ocean view in building 15on the 3rd floor. Very nice room with all the ammentities you will need. The bathroom privacy could be an issue. I don't care how long you have been with someone, there is nothing attractive about seeing or hearing them go to the bathroom. The jacuzzi is not in the best location. It could have been closer to the terrace so you could have more of a view. Very comfotable bed with extra pillows in the closet. As far as all the rave about the swim out rooms. I just don't see it. If you do not want to interact with anyone other than your neighbors then it is fine. The swim out rooms DO NOT filter in to the main pool. They are very private. In my opinion not worth the money nor what I am going away for. Our cleaning staff was inconsistant at best. The first night we had incense. The second night we had incense and no matches. We had to call for toliet paper once. Nothing major but when you are spending TOP dollar you look for perfection.
THE BEACH: I can not put its beauty into words. All I can say is that we spent all day everyday on the beach. Sugar sand and crystal clear water. Take aout a Kayak and/or a Catamaran it is true beauty. Get to the beach early if you want chairs under an umbrella, by 10am should be fine.
THE POOL: We did not spend much time here. There are two seperate pools. The infinity pool is more on the quiet side. It is not a true infinity view. The view is obstructed by bushes. It is a great pool to float around in and relax. The pool bar area is a bit more active. There are however, a lot of smokers at the pool bar. So keep that in mind. Pool volleyball was going on all day as well which is nice. All pools were very clean. Chairs were not a problem at all. I put a couple of towels down at about 8:30 and started walking away when I was told that I am not allowed to reserve chairs.
THE FOOD: By far and away the best food the we have ever had at and all inclusive resort.

The World Cafe: (breakfast/lunch) left no stone unturned. All you could ask for at breakfast from local favorites to american staples. You name the fruit or the cereal. Mimosa's and Bloody Marys galor! Lunch here were rib-eye steaks cooked to order, Salmon grouper, mahi mahi cooked to order, fantastic.

Seaside Grill: Great fajitas and grilled fish as well 4 different types of Cheviche. The best salad bar and fresh quacamole. For dinner here filet migon or porterhouse USA quality meats.

Portofino's: Rack of lamb small but very good (order two). fresh pasta and great fish as well. We ate here twice.
Oceana was closed the night we wanted to go. We were a bit disappointed with that. But if the fish we had for lunch was any indication. I am sure oceana would be terrific.

Brodeaux and Himatsu we did not eat at.

SERVICE: The service all in all was very good. At the beach bar look for Gabriel and Urbano ask Gabriel for a shot of s$#t in a glass. The beach service was great also. Lydia and Ana are the best!! Freddy at world cafe was on point. and did not miss a beat. Ricardo is the manager at Portofino's and a Tequila expert. Find him and talk to him about tequila if it is your thing. Seaside grill Gerrardo and Jose are very nice

THE GYM/SPA: The gym is pathetic and small. Barley enough to get a workout in. We did not go to the Spa we felt is was way to expensive.
THE ENTERTAINMENT STAFF: URI is the man! He will make you smile, he will sit down and engage you. Barbara, Karla and Alejandro are all great and full of energy. We had a day of rain and were stuck inside. They were all walking around with games and trivia and things to do. The work long hours and deserve a lot of appreciation. They are all a big reason as to why we would go back.
There were several occasions while walking through the resort we said hello to a staff member and did not get a response back. Some of the people working there did not look all that happy about it. Mostly the room cleaning crew. We are used to people stopping and saying hello to us nevermind to responding we we say hello to them. I hope that did not come across snobish.
As far as tipping goes. We had no problem tipping those that we felt were providing service. Dollar here dollar there. It goes a long way. If you are tipping the bartender and there is a line for drinks you will get yours quick.
The prefered cub did not upgrade. We just did not feel the need.There was not one point of our stay when we said we should have.
All in all Secrets Maroma is a World Class Resort. We would highly recommend it. We would consider returning in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#12 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#4 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!