“SMB is all it is cracked up to be.”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 21, 2009

Secrets Maroma Beach is all it is cracked up to be and more. As a reference, here are some of the other resorts that I have stayed at: Aventura Spa Palace, Excellence Playa Mujerus, Occidental Grand Flamenco XCaret in Riviera Maya and Excellence, Majestic Colonial and Ocean Blue in Punta Cana, DR.

SMB tops them all. It is the service that puts this resort at the top of my list. They very literally wait on you hand and foot. I am a big user of my Bubba Keg, but I was not able to use it on this trip. They simply did not let my drink get to the point of being empty before I had another one waiting for me….even if I just came from a walk on the beach and was chugging my beer. I guess the thing that really stands out for me is that about noon every day eight to twelve staff members come out of nowhere with carts of food and swing by your lounger asking what you would like. Every day we had fresh sushi, freshly carve pork and chicken tacos, shish-kabob, chicken and fish on a stick and ice cream. One day we asked if our pool side waitress could get us some of the delicious calamari from the Oceana Restaurant next to the pool….”it would be my pleasure” was her response.

Of course, “it is my pleasure” is the staff’s standard reply to any request, but there is nothing standard about it. I believe that they truly mean it. Now, we do tip well, but they treated a few couples around us that did not tip just like they treated us. The service is so good that we did not make it to dinner twice on this trip and that has never happened before. It was not a problem though, because when we did need to eat on those nights room service was at our door with out order in a very short time. The room service food is just as good as the restaurants. We did not feel cheated getting the room service food at all. In fact, one time we ordered eight shots of Don Julio and 8 beers without food and that order was in our private box in about five minutes….WOW.

I have to say that the breakfast buffet was the worst one that we have been to, but we were still always able to find something to eat. In fact, I asked for a jar of peanut butter for our bagels on the first morning and each morning after that, they just brought it to us. Another example of exemplary service.

This resort is definitely on the small side, but I think that added to our trip. We did not have to spend half an hour walking to anything. Ever forget something in your room and regret it because of the walk back? Not at this place.

The pools were the perfect temperature – cool enough to be refreshing, but no where near cold. The beach is perfect as you have read. The food in all of the restaurants was very good. Drinks were all top shelf liquor, but you did have to ask for it – they do not keep the Grey Goose or the Don Julio out in the open, but it is at every bar. The mini-bar in the room is well stocked every day. Make sure you have the orange juice – it was out of this world (weird I know, but it was so good I felt that I had to mention it).

Feel free to private message me if you have any direct questions about SMB. I would be happy to answer them. I have not been back to the same resort twice yet, but something tells me that SMB will be our first repeat visit.

12  Thank JeffB32
There are newer reviews for Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Reviewed November 20, 2009

Stayed at SMB from 12th of October for a week with my husband. We needed a well deserved break without the kids and that's certainly what we got. When we arrived, check in was very quick - we were greeted with cold towels (no champagne, though!) and shown to our room. There was no ipod docking station, which was a problem as we didn't bring a charger with us, but once I pointed this out to the concierge, the docking station was sent to our room within 5 minutes.

Service certainly exceeded our expectations the whole week, especially in the restaurants and on the beach/pool. Alejandro on the beach worked so hard and always remembered our drinks, even bringing us bottles of water in between just to keep us going!

Food was excellent, no complaints whatsoever.

We went to the beach party one night and we really loved that, other than that we didn't take part in any of the entertainment.

To sum this place up, if you are looking for a relaxing break in the sun in beautiful surroundings and to feel pampered, this is very highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank karenpEdinburgh
Reviewed November 19, 2009

Bringing all inclusives into a new class, Secrets Maroma Beach is the one to look up to, Unsurpassed dining, service and surroundings. Lush landscaping, indigo blue waters and sugar sand beach - the best in the area. Staff isamazing and are trained to perfection but always seem to care for you personally. No request is too big or small. The spa is pure bliss. When you need to get away from everything with that special someone - this is heaven on earth.

1  Thank Gabriella002
Reviewed November 17, 2009

We stayed at Secrets Maroma for our tenth anniv. for what was supposed to be eight days but turned into nine with tropical storm Ida. We had a few days of sun but a lot of overcast weather put a damper on the trip. The resort however was amazing. The staff is excellent and friendly and the consierges helped us with finding out our flight information after the cancellation from Westjet, so that we wouldn't have to spend extra on phone calls. We also got a reduced rate for our extra day as well. Pools were well tended and we never had a problem finding a place around one of them on the sunny days. Bartenders don't skimp on the drinks and during the bad weather they made sure anybody who wanted to get smashed had plenty of oppurtunity with many different shooter concoctions. The restaurants were very good and the waiter at the mexican let us order off the menu. We had the best burritos and quesa dillas ever made. The beach is exactly what it is built up to be. It's absolutely beautiful. The sand is amazing and the water is a blast to play in if you like that sort of thing. Being from a landlocked province, I love to splash around in the waves every chance I get and it was a ton of fun. Best I've ever experienced including anywhere on the Mexican Riviera or Cancun. We will be going bach to Secrets Maroma asap.

10  Thank sobeysshipper
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Room - We were greated with a banner on the door, rose petals on the bed, and a letter congratulating us that could be used for a 15% discount at the spa. We were in room 1106 which is an Ocean View room with a great view in the main building on the 3rd floor above the lobby. We thought it was a great location because we were close to the bar, resturaunts, internet, etc in the main building. The bed was very comfortable, jacuzzi was great, and the huge tub on the balcony was awesome.

Food - I thought the food was great! All of the resturaunts at night go for a high end ambiance and presentation. I didn't really have a down and dirty casual meal at night at any of them which would have been nice one night. Breakfast at the World Cafe every morning was delicious. Huge selection of all sorts of foods as well as Mimosas and Bloody Marys each morning. My favorite meal was Surf and Turf at Oceana. The sushi at the Japanese resturaunt was very good as well. My wife and I gained a combined 10 lbs during our 7-day stay.

Beach - The beach is truly amazing. This is where we spent most of our time each day. The sand was soft and white, but not soft and fluffy...it was like walking on a tempupedic mattress...amazing! The beach bar opened at 1030 every morning and the service was very good. They would occassionally come by with different appetizers around lunch. I played beach volleyball everyday at 11:00am which was a blast.

Excursion - We paid $130 each to go to Tulum and Xio ha (Shell-Hi). Tulum is a Mayan city from 1000ad to 1500ad. It was very interesting and there is also an amazing beach at the bottom of the cliff where we went swimming. Xio ha is an outdoor eco-friendly natural park. Here you can snorkle, float down the river on a tube, jump off cliffs, ride bike trails, swim in a small cave, etc. The food and drinks are also included with your entrance.

Overall I would recommend this resort to anyone. You can really make it what you want to be. Whether you want to relax, want action, watersports, great food/drinks, etc....you can really do whatever you are craving at any moment. It was a truly great experience and I would definiately recommend to anyone.

7  Thank tcogz
Reviewed November 16, 2009

These are the facts about our Secrets Maroma trip- We were upgraded from a $3500 suite to an $11,000 suite at no additional charge. We spent 7 days of sunny weather. This resort was not crowded at all, and the people we did meet were extremely nice. We don't have one complaint about service, as the the service here topped any of the 27 trips we have ever done. Restaurants were very good and plenty of variety. We ran into 3 couples that have stayed here 2-3 times in the last year. We will be going back next year. Even if we weren't upgraded to this beautiful suite, we would still be totally happy, as we did see the other suites and plan on booking something smaller in the future. Please see the pictures I've attached. You will not be disappointed, email me with any questions, as i did email plenty of people before my trip. ENJOY!!

10  Thank kendellama
Reviewed November 16, 2009

We just got back on 11/14.We have been to five other resorts in this area,This has the best beach by far.Food was good,room was very nice.The staff was great.The beach service was outstanding.

5  Thank MRLBIDON
#36 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!