“Missing Maroma”

GreenLeadersSilver level
pennsylvania
“Missing Maroma”
Reviewed May 1, 2009

Stayed 4/15 to 19 for anniversary and 4th annual trip to Mexico with our group of friends. I have stayed at other Secrets and Dreams properties and this is by far the best.
This beach was the most beautiful I have been to.

Service with a smile. Service was excellent. This is one of the main reasons I keep coming backe to Secrets and Dreams properties (Dreams is the resorts for families)

Food. I had heard mixed reviews about this, bit if you cannot find something you like, I would be surprised. My thoughts are this. I am not in the U.S. food will be different. You have to expect that. I felt there were so many choices that I couldnt decide what I wanted.

Rooms. I can't even begin to tell you how clean, beautifully decorated, and romantic I thought they were. The view of the ocean was one I will never forget.
We stayed in the Preferred Club which I would recommend. You get to use the internet with no charge and every morning, we would stopp in for a cup of really good coffee and plan where we would be going that night for dinner. We were a large group so this was important.
Pool area. People do save chairs, but we never had a problem getting them. And like I said, we were a large group. Pool was fun, Activities that you could join at anytime or just lay around and take in the beautiful view of the ocean. Every day there was a great buffet by the pool. Salmon, burgers, Paella, and my favorite the Guacamole.
Thank you to al the employees who cater to us. They work their behinds off and sometimes I think that goes unnoticed. Please tip extra. They deserve it.

All in all, I would absolutely 100% return to Secrets Maroma. For me, I made memories there that I will never forget.

6 Thank smoochie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,439)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed April 30, 2009

Just returned from staying at SMB for 7 nights and 8 days celebrating my honeymoon with my wife. I’ll do my best not to repeat what has been said in previous reviews.

Room/Preferred Club: To put it simply, the only reason to pay extra for Preferred Club is to guarantee an ocean view and proximity to the pool/beach. Because to be honest, the only thing required to access the Preferred Club lounge is knowledge of where it’s located (behind and in between Buildings 24 & 25). I will admit we did enjoy having the soaking tub on the balcony, but that’s not reason enough to have paid extra, the ocean view is the main reason. We were in Building 25 on the third floor with a fantastic view of the beach.

Pools: Both of the main pools, the infinity pool and the pool behind it are nicely sized, however seem to provide inadequate seating area at 75% and above occupancy (I was told the resort was at 75% occupancy upon my arrival). However there is a nice shallow pool area behind the Oceana/Seaside Grill Restaurant area that provides additional seating in or around that portion plus several beds behind this area. The stories of people reserving chairs early in the morning with books, bag, etc are very true. It’s unfortunate that people like that refuse to respect the rules of the resort which clearly state not to reserve chairs and that a chair that goes unused for 30 minutes will be considered open.

Beach: Truly a beautiful beach, very clean and crystal clear blue water. Unfortunately for us, it was very windy all week which made the pool area a little more of a desirable area to hang around. There was always a free lounger to be found, but maybe not under a Palapa at all times.

Service: For the most part, excellent. Freddie at Seaside Grill and Carlos at the Sugar Reef bar deserve to be mentioned. Almost always a response of “it’s my pleasure” from the wait and bar staff.

Food: If you come here expecting the Ritz or believing all the reviews that say the food is outstanding and bordering on gourmet, you will be very disappointed. I am by no means a food snob, but I’ve eaten at enough fine restaurants/hotels to know what true gourmet food is and Secret’s does not provide that. That being said, the food is very high quality for an all inclusive. I never had anything that I really didn’t like, nor thought tasted bad, it was for the most part just ok. Part of the problem is consistency and honestly that is hard for an all inclusive resort catering to 412 rooms. Some of the highlights, the BBQ ribs from room service, the tilapia ceviche at Seaside Grill, the flank steak at several restaurants and the Chef’s omelet at Seaside Grill. World Café, the buffet should be avoided for everything except breakfast and even then, I would recommend Seaside Grill above that every day.

Beer/Liquor: Have to give credit where credit is due. I have been to several All Inclusives and I’ve never seen this kind of selection of beer and top shelf liquor. Grey Goose, Ketel One, Absolute and Johnny Walker Black to name a few. Great selection of beers, Bud, Bud Light, Pacifico, Negro Modelo, Corona and Corona Light.

Secrets Box/Room Service: Per Secret’s website, “Secret box for private room service delivery”. Not once during our stay was room service put in the Secret’s Box. I ordered room service almost every day and every time they rang the door bell or knocked. Personally I didn’t have a problem with it as I preferred them to bring the food in and set up on the table and I tipped them every time, however they shouldn’t advertise it this way and I want to provide fair warning to future travelers should you be enjoying a nice soak in your tub like we were when our dessert arrived and I was forced to get out and get it.

Spa: Only had a one hour salt scrub and massage, but it was great. I recommend going at least once for your favorite treatment.

Tipping: I have seen comments regarding tipping in the forum as well as in reviews and my impression was that a lot of people felt the need to tip at Secrets. Well here is what I experienced. At just about every meal and at bars, I watched to see what others were doing. Not to necessarily influence my decision to tip, but to relay what I experienced to Trip Advisor. At bars and the pool, tipping seemed to be 50/50. At restaurants I would say less than 25% of the patrons were tipping. I decided my comfort zone was to tip for a friendly waiter who provided good to excellent service (for the most part everyone). I also tipped the maid everyday as well as tipping our concierge at the end of the week.

Dress code: I was pretty surprised by what I saw. After reading the Secrets website regarding dinner attire and reading through the forums, I expected most people to be dressed up at dinner. First night at dinner I witness a guy at El Patio in jean shorts and tennis shoes. Even though the dress code is for pants at all restaurants, I often saw shorts and never witnessed anyone being turned away. The only time I saw a host at a restaurant deny service was at the World Café when a guy came in for breakfast with a muscle shirt.

Bugs: After reading a lot regarding in the reviews and forums regarding bringing bug spray, bugs were not an issue this time of year. I didn’t need to use bug spray one day I was here.

Corporate Groups: A great deal has been mentioned in reviews and the forums regarding corporate groups. Our stay was no different than others, several groups were in and out during our week. For the most part, they don't do much to take away from your enjoyment. However on the last day, a group of about 100 from United Healthcare had a team building exercise with GPS devices which led them all over the resort. As people were starting to lay out by the pool, this group walked all over the pool area, at times literally crawling all over the rocks by the pool and going through the bbq area as they were trying to set up, looking for whatever it was on their check off list. Granted I was leaving that day, so it did nothing to ruin my stay, but I would've have been really upset had I been laying out to be disturbed like that.

Miscellaneous: Since we booked for a minimum of 7 nights in a Preferred Club suite we were given the Secrets Eternity Honeymoon package for free. This included a champagne breakfast in bed, romantic dinner on the beach and the spa treatments I mentioned above. The breakfast isn’t much to speak of, it’s just champagne, oj, fruit and rolls. To be honest it was a waste and we ended up going to get a real breakfast after. The romantic dinner on the beach was nice (setting), but the food was just ok so I wouldn’t recommend paying extra for this.

To sum up, I realize my review may sound overly critical; however I’m trying to offer the best detailed and honest opinion regarding my experience. I would absolutely return due to the excellent service and beauty of the resort and beach.

19 Thank alamerican
Little Rock, AR
Reviewed April 27, 2009

Just returned from staying at SMB for 5 nights and 6 days last week. Here are some random thoughts for any trip planners considering this place.

This was the best all inclusive resort I've ever stayed at in the country of Mexico (been to only 4 in Mexico) and second best all inclusive resort i've ever been to anywhere in the world!

The cleanliness of the resort and service stood out above all other things to me. I saw workers drain and clean the hot tub every morning i looked. It's so clean, i even saw workers scrubbing the outside of the trashcans by the pool area.

As far as service, the wait staff are taught to answer every request they possibly can. You will never hear the answer "You have to go to the other bar, resturant, or only at dinner". We ordered all sorts of drinks & snacks that the staff would have to go get from the main kitchen. I've never seen service like this.

I used to see complaints on here about mosquitos. I never saw one, but in case you are worried, the resort offers every room an organic mosquito repellant.

I used to see complaints on here about the privacy of the bathroom. The only place there isn't a door is to the bathtub. There ARE doors to the toilet and shower.

I would avoid eating dinner at the buffet. The food didn't look very appetizing at the buffet which is where i think many people are basing their food opinions from. There are several resturants to choose from, so why eat at a buffet for dinner anyways?

The hotel has several name brand liquors including Grey Goose, Stoli, Crown, Captain Morgan, Havannah Club, 1800, Don Julio, Dewards, etc. Beers include Corona, Corona Lt, Modela Especial, Negra Medelo, Pacifico, & Bud and Bud lt.

Don't book a partial ocean view and expect to see the ocean. The only views of the ocean are full ocean view.

Bring nice pants for dinner. Men have limited options to eat in shorts and flip flops for dinner.

There are several activities for people that are afraid of getting bored on the beach. Pool volleyball, beach volleyball, water polo, bungee trampeline, pool bingo/blackjack, etc.

Lastly i reccomend anyone booking this trip go to the forums. I know not everyone knows about the forums on TripAdvisor and the information is very helpful on gathering extra info.

11 Thank hogwild12
OH
Reviewed April 26, 2009

We stayed here last week and we had a wonderful time. We were here for our 10 year anniversary. There was a lot of older couples and honeymooners. The food was very good, keep in mind that it is mexican interpretations of european food. The service we had was excellent, Freddy and Enrique in the beach restaurant, Rosy our concierge and Pierre our housekeeper. The servers on the beach were awsome too. Some people complain about the noise at the pool - simply people having a good time. We prefer the beach and it didn't dissapoint. We did tip as the service was good.

We got a good deal on orbitz and I would recommend a private transfer to the hotel, cost more but so nice and quick. We did upgrade to an oceanview room which included the preferred club. - we enjoyed it . We were in building 26 on the 3rd floor....wonderful view.
A wonderful stay and can't wait for our next trip.

3 Thank blondieoh
Massachusetts
Reviewed April 24, 2009

I just wanted to take the time to share our experience. We stayed at Secrets for 8 nights Apr 5-13, 2009. I upgraded our accomodations to preferred club jr. suite with walk out pool.

I must share my experience of our Cancun airport arrival and tranportation to Secrets. First off, don't and I repeat don't stop in the airport any place other than your transportation kiosk. There are numerous staff who attempt to steer you over to a kiosk on the way out of the airport and the only reason for that is to try to sell you to visit a resort or time share. I hate to be rude but I had to upon our arrival since they tend to be high pressure and actually became rude. Secondly, Olympus tours did a HORRIBLE job with scheduling the tranfers to the hotel. My wife and waitied for almost 45 minutes until they had a van ready to bring us and 3 other couples to our resort. I will never again use Olympus tours for the transfer to and from the airport.

Once we arrived at Secrets approximately 130pm the lobby staff quickly welcomed us, tagged our luggage and informed us it would be in our room when it was ready. We were then quickly escorted to a motorized cart where we were driven to our preferred lounge warmly greeted, assigned our room and offered some light food and drinks. We were told our room wasn't ready. We were informed where we could go get something to eat.

Our room was in building 27 room 2712, which to me was the best location. It bordered an empty lot, it was ocean front and we had the best concierge; Vianney Rosiles! Vianney we love and miss you!!!

We took a short walk and grabbed something to eat and returned to the preferred lounge and our room was ready. A staff member walked us to our room. It was grogeous is all I can say. Looking out our slider we had a private pool with a beautiful view of the Carribean although there are palm trees and other foliage between our pool and the sea.

We met our personal concierge her name was Vianney! I must recognize Vianney she made our vacation. She was courteous, caring, and made us feel special and she made sure I always had pringles, M&M's and the drinks my wife and I liked. She even gave me some Partagas D series #4. For those who smoke cigars understand :)

The room was always clean and would be turned down at night if we wanted.

We loved our pool on days we wanted privacy and it was never cold as I read here. Also, the beach servers would come by our pool and bring us drinks if we wanted. After my morning workouts it was great to go for a swim as well as at night when we relaxed on our private patio listening to the waves crash against the shore. The weather was always 84-90 degrees during the day a couple of nights were cool, which was unexpected but nice. But alot warmed than in Massachusetts.

The beach was absolutely gorgeous! A couple of days it was quite windy that the sand was being blown around so we spent time at the resort pool or our private pool. Both pools were always clean. I need to mention pool concierge Roberto, he was a young man who made you feel comfortable and always had nice converstaion you could tell he loved his job.

The pool side cookout was always very good!

The service at the resort was very good. I watched a lifeguard grab towels from a man who was returning them at the end of the day. The lifeguard told him you're on vacation let me do that for you. That was typical of most service. Yes, with any resort you will come across some that are not as friendly or may not be as quick as you want them to be but it is vacation a time to relax right.

We ate all the restaurants except the French. The ambience and decor at all was pleasing to the eye. The food was good but it is not 5 star. I will mention that if you want to seated right away go around 7pm or you will have a 30-45 minute wait. The World cafe breakfast and lunch buffet was always good. I was happy to see how important sanitation is in this restaurant from the serving lines, to the buffet tables to the cooking stations. I have been to some all inclusives where the buffet areas are scary to eat where sanitation was poor such as Occidental and Riu in Aruba.

The last morning we ordered room service. Juan was our server and he did a great job setting up our breakfast on the patio. It was a wonderful way for us to spend our last morning at the resort.

The resort pool was not loud and obnoxious just like my wife and I like.

I could go on but there is no reason to. We truly enjoyed our vacation and would recommend this resort to anyone who loves sun, beach, comfort and nice people and aren't looking for that loud party atmosphere.

I must mention tips. Yes, tips are included but I am a firm believer that staff that gives me good service deserve more and the Mexican staff appreciated it! The resort has a very good service training program.

If you're looking for total perfection you may be disappointed but if you're looking for a wonderful vacation Secrets at Maroma Beach will surely satisy you.

Lastly, I would suggest that the resort look at recycling and other options that are environmentally friendly.

13 Thank BenzCLS
Westlake, ohio
Reviewed April 23, 2009

Secrets Maroma is the best vacation we ever had. We go to the carriebean at least once a year and have gone to many locations. There was nothing I could fault esp. since we book this trip on Apple's Secrets square deal. This saved us almost half price of the going rate. Rooms, beach, service, drinks(bottled beer!), and esp. the food, just outstanding. We had a security concern before going, but everything seemed just fine to us. There was more of a police/military presence outside of the hotel property than previous trips, and they were carrying automatic assualt weapons. this actually made me feel more secure. I believe Mexico would do most anything to protect and guard the security of folks spending money in the Cancun area. We are going to Cancun again next spring break. I would return to Maroma in a heartbeat but we all ready have plans to stay with friends in a time share.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank mdjones1125
Philadelphia
Reviewed April 23, 2009

An absolutely incredible place. Not a thing to complain about. Staff went out of their way to help, loved the food and atmosphere at the restuarants. The room was to die for, the beach and water spectacular and I'm not a hugh fan of swimming in the ocean but I took advantage of the sparkling clear blue water. Did not want to leave.

5 Thank cbreez1985
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 9,192 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#23 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,143 reviews

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!