“Most amazing place on earth”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We had heard bad things about all inclusive resorts throughout the Cancun and Playa regions. This hotel however did not let us down. Location was fantastic...not to close to the party or hectic scenes of cancun but close enough to see all the sights by bus or taxi which was cheap. Service was A+ beautiful people who are at your service 24/7
Activities were plentiful.you could never be bored at the resort.
Entertainment was fantastic the staff really know how to give the guests a great time.
Food and drinks Unbelievable!!!Cant fault any of it. Mini bar stocked every day with no extra cost, 24hr room service at no extra cost. So many different restaurants to choose from.Best cocktails ever. Definitely not watered down and whilst laying on beach in front of hotel you never even had to get up they were always there when you were finished to serve you again :) i honestly can say there is nothing at all I could fault about our stay...stay more than a week though as we did alot of sightseeing I wish we had more time to spend at the resort itself

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank kristcoop
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Dear guest,

What can we do with that review other than thank you deeply! We appreciate your comments and look forward seeing you again.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Like many people at the resort, my husband and I honeymooned here in late June/beginning of July. Our first time in Mexico, we decided to spend 12 nights at Secrets Maroma Beach after reading many reviews online. We were not disappointed!

A lot of the reviews have everything positive about this resort covered already. The service is flawless, with so many helpful and more importantly, happy staff available all over the resort. Some of our favorites included the entertainment staff and Fransisco (I think that was his name) who worked as a waiter poolside. In addition to great service, the resort itself is absolutely beautiful and from the moment you arrive, you feel as though you are in a tropical oasis (which, you are!). Everything was just lovely. The food (Mexican restaurant was my favorite), the activities (Rock show is a must see!), the amenities, the room (ocean view in building 16, 3rd floor), I could go on but most reviewers would agree and have already written extensive reviews.

One thing I will note that isn't mentioned previously, is that you have to be careful walking around the resort. You will notice from the title of my review, that I unfortunately broke my foot halfway through our trip (although I wasn't sure if it was broken or sprained at the time). When you're poolside or on the beach all day, you will often be walking around with flip flops or even barefoot while you grab a quick bite or walk to the restroom. This can be very dangerous (especially if you are partaking in the included drinks at the time, although I wasn't and I still managed to get injured!) because some of the walkways are a step above the grass besides them and to get into restaurants or bathrooms, there is often a step.

There are two bathrooms in the poolside restaurant (Seaside Grill) and one has a step while the other doesn't. I was in the pool and hopped out to use the restroom on the back side of the restaurant. Since it was my first time using that one, I didn't notice the step (there is some red paint on it, but it was a little faded at the time), rolled my ankle, and fell. I immediately knew something was wrong, but thought maybe it was a sprain (as I've done that before). My husband helped me back to our room, where we ran into Roger, our concierge, on the way. He seemed concerned and offered to have the medic come up and take a look since he was on his way to check in a new guest. So, my husband and I limped up to our room and waited for the medic. When the medic arrived shortly after, he pressed on the bones in my foot and told me it wasn't broken (not sure how he determined this, because I found out it was upon returning home). He sprayed some freeze-spray and wrapped it, and that was that. In hindsight, I'm probably lucky that all of his pushing on my foot didn't do any damage since it was in fact broken.

Roger did call to check in later and offered me a wheelchair and/or crutches. Since I am rather short (only 5 ft 3) and the crutches were way too big, I eventually had to use the wheelchair to get to the main building (which was a pretty far hobble from building 16). They do have a doctor on site, which I did consider when I still couldn't walk on it fully after spending two days resting it in our room. However, before spending the money, we asked Roger what the doctor could do. He informed us that they didn't have a boot or air cast nor were there X-rays. Since I didn't feel like he would be able to do much more than the 'medic' did, and I thought it might just be a sprain, I decided to tough it out for the following 8 days (we saved two years for this trip...there was no way I was leaving!) and just mend poolside for the rest of the trip.

It's unfortunate that this happened on our trip and while I don't blame the resort, I did notice quite a few people trip around the pool area. Also, I feel that for a resort this size and with this many people staying there, they should have more than a flimsy bandage for injuries. I feel as though they were not well equipped for any medical situations, which might be expected while traveling out of the country.

However, the resort was wonderful and the staff was great overall, I would definitely recommend it. I would've given 4.5 stars if I could, it's just hard to do a perfect 5 considering what happened. Would definitely return, but would have to watch my step next time!

Room Tip: Building 16 is close to the beach but far from the Preferred Club...we never used it aside from chec...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle K

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review and sorry you got hurt during your visit. Please send us an email when you are ready to come back so we can pamper you a little extra.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

My wife and I stayed at SMB the first 9 nights of August 2014. It was our 3rd trip to the resort. More seaweed than normal on the beach, but still the best beach in Mexico. They work 2-3 hours a day to clean up the seaweed, but guess what...it still comes back. The drink service at the beach and pool was good, but not as attentive as years past. The swim up bar at the pool is the loudest place on the property, but isn't that to be expected?

The rooms are great. Plenty of room with a great bed. We loved our swim-out in building 15. It gave us a place to relax after the beach and pool bars close (5, 5:30, and 6:00) and before we get ready for dinner. We never had to wait for dinner, but we were ready to eat before 7:30. Huge selection and great omelets at the breakfast buffet. Lunch at the Seaside grill (by the pool) is very good, as is the lunch buffet by the pool (fresh mahi). All the servers at the restaurants are very nice and professional. You can get good, or bad, food at any restaurant depending on what you order. Asking questions will help. Your interpretation of something and theirs may be different. The seafood at the resort is generally very good. Any scallop dish was usually great. Oceanas and the teppanaki was our favorite restaurants with the Mexican and steak places the worst.

Snorkling in Mexico is not really good compared to other parts of the world. Very little colors or brightness from the coral reef or fish. Xplor is probably the best excursion around, just get to the ziplines early. Selvatica is nice on a much smaller scale. The kayaks and hobbie cats are at your disposal, which is nice. There is always chairs available on the beach. The pool gets pretty crowded between noon and 3:00.

There is premium alcohol available when you ask. If you don't specify, you will get alcohol from a bottle simply labeled Vodka, Gin, Rum, etc. Let your building concierge know if you want your room fridge stocked differently (Eg more diet cokes, modelo instead of corona).

The room as cold as you wanted and the shower got as hot as you would want. We've never had any problems with these temperatures during our three visits. Channel 14 is the Playboy channel; strickly forbidden during our visit however. They have about 3 English channels that aren't news channels. A small safe in the room. I would say about 65% Americans, 25% British and 10% from Mexico or other conuntries. Most of the staff you interact with knows English.

The gym is nice, about 6 treadmills, couple of ellipticals, multi-use machines, and dead weight. About 700 sq ft gym. You need to download the Secrets app for wifi. Its pretty spotty except near the main lobby. The Coco Cafe has coffee, tea, muffins, pasties, espressos, etc. The also have 2 PCs in case you need to contact the world.

And lastly there is a lot of wildlife on site. Most impressively is a little monkey named JoJo. She is very cute and hangs around the southwest side of the property. JoJo is adorable! There is also dozens of coati and iguanas. The iguanas hang out by the pool and you have to be careful not to walk on them. Overall it is a great resort with an abundance of good, friendly people. We will hopefully be back again next year to see JoJo and the gang.

Room Tip: Only the front two preferred club buildings have a good ocean view. Swim-outs are great.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank charles c

Dear guest,

We did not know the name of the monkey is JoJo , but we are glad you liked it! Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

My second time at the secrets maroma beach, and it was even better than before! the resort has the 5 diamonds award, constantly wins the "travelers choice" award ,etc. etc. and i hope i can explain to you why.
Reception, lobby, check in/out: the frontage of the hotel is not very spectacular, but don´t be fooled for that impresion, once you get down your transportation, unbeatable treatmen will be your constant companion for the rest of your stay. no need to wait to check in/out, very quick and nice, they give you scented cool towels and a refresh beverage (you can ask for what you like) and in no time you are done. the lobby is small, simple, elegant and confortable. the lobby bar and the coco cafe are in the same lobby area.
As an all inclusive hotel, the quality of the food and drinks are ALL THE DIFFERENCE. i'm gonna write about the "extras" you can get.
Buffete breackfast: fine cold meats and chesses (proscciuto, various salamis, roast beef, turkey, etc./ blue chesse, gruyere, edam, etc.) all kind of fruits (kiwi, strawberries,etc.), assortment of fresh bread and cookies, carpaccios or sashimis (salmon, fish, shrimp), premium nuts and berrys. and of course anything else a reguar buffet offers.
Snacks: real charcoal BBQ hamburguers (with cook prepared meat), wings fries, etc. and premium snacks.
Lunch: you can go to the a-la-carte lunch restaurant (in the pool area) and eat shrimp, ceviche, fish, surf and turf, angus meat, they have a short but very good menu. or you can go to the buffete lunch when they have angus meat, lobster (as an ingredient for your pasta) shrimp, mero fish, salmon, tuna, sushi, pizza, extensive and premium salad bar, etc. etc.
Dinner: 5 speciality gourmet dinner restaurants, ok, you are not in new york paying 300 usd for a dish, ok? don´t expect fancy gourmet dinner, snob or wanna-be style. the restaurants are very beautiful, with exceptional atention, you can find salmon, tuna, beef, lamb, duck, shrimp, lobster, all very good coocked in a variety of dishes according to the restaurants cuisine type (mexican, french, japannese, italian and grill) fine wines, exquisite desserts! each restaurant exceeds the other for the flavor and quality of all their dishes and ambience! don't forget to reserve for the tepanyaky show at the japannese!
Drinks: in all the bars (lobby, beach, restaurants, pool, etc. they have: vodka: gray goose, stoly anf all kind of absolut. rum: flor the caña 7 years aged and spiced, apleton state dark, special, bacardi. whiskey: jw black label, chivas 12 years, cognac: martell and courvousier VS, brandy: torres 10. original liquours: 43, bayles, kalua, frangelico, amareto disaronno, midory, grand marnier, etc. please note: they have the premium drinks (some listed above) but yu have to ask them to use it in your drinks, otherwise, they will use the cheapest drinks that they also have!
Rooms: all suites, all with jacuzzy, all marbol, granite, real wood. very confortable, and luxury furniture and bed, bath ropes, spa-grade bath amenities, about 8 or 10 different towels, plasma cable tv, nespresso coffe maker in the room, iron, etc, etc. very luxurious, impecable cleaned twice a day. i stayed in a swim-out swite this time, you change the view for having your private pool rigth at your terrace.
Pool area: two big pools, one in front of the beach, with bar, waiter service, snack, and real cahrcoal BBQ in the area.
The beach: one of the must beautiful beaches in the world, white sand and blue-tuquoise ocean! nothing more to say: paradise! (hint: maybe you have to go early in the morning to separate one palapa at the beach, you can leave some towels and a magazine)
really, is an increadible hotel, the daily shows are above wath you will be expected, and the entertainment events (special parties, dinners, sports, games, etc) are amazing and all day long! incredible atenttion, luxury acomodations, and excellent food and drinks! really your best choice! it will be complety worth!

Room Tip: beach front, swim out or 3rd floor rooms!!!!
7  Thank leonardo e

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for submitting your review! We appreciate your comments and look forward having you home again.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Secrets Maroma Beach is a fantastic hotel. I can't think of any negatives..... all staff are brilliant and really go out of their way to help you, they can't do enough to help you to make sure your holiday is perfect. The hotel grounds are lovely, there are gardeners constantly ensuring every where looks clean and tidy. There is never any problem getting a sunbed whether around the pool or on the beach. The beach really is like a post card, the sand is white and powdery, the sea is blue and warm. The food in every restaurant was tasty and all waiters were friendly and attentive. All of the entertainment team staff are brilliant and host a vast range of activities every day. We did sea kayaking, BB shooting, bike riding, archery and volleyball....we really enjoyed them all. The evening shows were all professional quality and were enjoyable. This was our honeymoon and our most expensive holiday to date but it was worth it and we would return to Mexico specifically for this hotel.

As an additional note....as it was our honeymoon we upgraded our room and got the honeymoon package. We got free use of hydrotherapy in the spa, a massage for two and a meal on the beach all of which was brilliant. The spa is beautiful and by far the nicest I've been too.

6  Thank Stacey D

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your comments and five star rating! We hope you decide to come back soon!

Reviewed August 14, 2014

I'll start pre arrival at the Resort and just say British Airways flight to Cancun from Gatwick was excellent. Lots of room, food and drink and great staff.
We were pretty tired after a few days partying either side of the wedding, so this was a treat.

We have been to the Secrets / Dreams brand resorts 5 times previously, throughout the Carribbean, so our expectations were very high. Secrets Maroma beach surpassed these expectations.
Everything is beautiful about the resort, rooms, beach, pool, gardens, restaurants and bars.

Service is amazing, the staff are so attentive to your every need. Big shout out to Fernando and Umberto, pool concierge staff who go beyond the call of duty to look after everyone.

Bar service was incredible, Beach bar staff members Sinhuie and Israel, could serve up your favourite tipple, without even asking for it. Sinhuie can conjure up some amazing shots to die for (and I felt I had after some of the afternoon sessions). Always a smile and a joke for us, kept us coming back.

Entertainment staff Jordan, Fermin and Paulina were all wonderful (although they never beat Kev at the ping pong).

Favourite restaurants, Oceania/sea side grill for Breakfast and Lunch was always top notch and always a warm welcome from Edgar and the gang. Himutsu / French / Italian excellent at night.

Concierge staff at buildings and front of house were excellent. We had one small room issue upon arrival but the matter was dealt with in a highly professional manner by Hector (duty Manager) the result of which resulted in us being extremely happy with the outcome. Thanks Hector.

The shows put on in the resort at night are also excellent. Get involved.

All in all 11 out of 10. We'll be back.

Room Tip: High floor
6  Thank JohnocIreland
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments and five star rating.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

My boyfriend and I recently vacationed at Secrets Maroma after our travel agent, Mitch with TripGuy.com, made this recommendation. Overall, we were extremely pleased with the service, food, and amenities at this high-class hotel. While choosing to go with an all-inclusive resort, I was slightly skeptical of the quality of vacation we would be getting after having had past experiences that were not up to par. I have to say, Mitch definitely understood what we were looking for, and nailed this vacation on the head. After our stay at Secrets Maroma, I would highly recommend this brand to any of my friends as this resort really encompassed everything we want in a vacation.

We agreed that Maroma beach was one of the best we’ve ever seen, with our resort perfectly nestled in the middle of it. Our room provided a view of the entire resort as well as the ocean, a private Jacuzzi on our balcony, a very large shower, and an extremely comfortable bed. Every restaurant, bar, pool, and even the beach were easily walkable from our room (note: after reading several other hotel reviews, walk-ability within a resort is very hard to come by in Riviera Maya).

The restaurants at Secrets Maroma were all great, each with a variety of options on the menu. Quality food is one area that is usually lacking at all-inclusive resorts, but that is simply not the case with Secrets. Reservations were not required at any of the restaurants except for the Hibachi grill. Wait time to be sat usually ranged from 0 – 45 minutes, but a nearby bar was always available to kill the time. On that note, we found a pretty good selection of top-shelf liquors, and the staff was always ready and willing to make recommendations on drinks, especially tequila. Depending on the bartender, most of our drinks were pretty heavily poured.

Entertainment both during the day and at night is available to you, although this is not the type of place that forces it upon you. The beach was more low-key than the pool area, and the morning hours were always very quiet no matter where you were. This was a refreshing change of pace for a popular resort, especially since we were still able to find chairs even at 2pm.

The downfalls of the vacation were few and far between, although they could be quite frustrating once encountered. First, the coupons in our “VIP package” were of no use whatsoever. Any discount they offered would essentially bring the price of a massage, sunglasses, or sunscreen down to a less-inflated cost compared to what you would pay in the states. Additionally, we were talked into sitting in on a 90-minute sales pitch for a Secrets Brand Membership in exchange for a $200 spa coupon. In reality, the sales pitch lasted about 3 hours, and we later found that our spa coupon would not work on a couples massage. However, we were eventually able to use this coupon after some talking, as the hotel really makes it a point to give its customers the best service possible. Finally, we ran into some trouble trying to book excursions, mostly due to the confusion surrounding who our specific concierge was and when he was available to talk to us. Nevertheless, once we found him a couple days into the trip, we were able to book our activities without issue.

Despite the very few inconveniences listed above, we had an extremely good time on this vacation and would undoubtedly stay at this hotel again and again. Mitch with TripGuy.com set up the perfect vacation for us at Secrets Maroma: a very elegant resort providing a great experience for a romantic getaway.

3  Thank jessica_pieczynski

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the comments and we are happy you had a wonderful stay. Please let us know when you are ready to return and we will place notes on the system about the minor details encountered on this trip.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 212 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!